Airport Express?
Dec 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sterling1

500+ Head-Fier
Right now, I have my laptop connected to an X-FI HD via USB cable. From  there the signal is converted to optical S/PDIF and sent to my Home Theatre Pre/Pro at 24/96 via Toslink cable. This is how I enjoy iTunes library  on my laptop through my home stereo system. At any rate, my wife does not like the cable from laptop to Pre/Pro ruining the home décor. I believe the solution is to replace the X-FI HD with an Airport Express. I am unclear though about whether or not the Airport Express will receive a 24/96 signal and pass such to my Pre/Pro? Anyone here have any knowledge about this matter?

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 14
I do this into a gen 2 Apple TV.  Not in front of it right now, but fairly certain ALL music on ATV is resampled to 48 khz (up or downsampling).  For AE, i believe the default is 44.1 and that there is no way around this.  You need to get out of the Apple ecosystem to have a media receiver that won't apply the up/down sample....or I believe you could also use an ipad/ipod/iphone with the camera kit.  See here:  http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2011/06/1/ipad-streams-high-resolution-audio-dac1

But this is really taking the long/costly way vs. what you were hoping to do with AE and what I'm doing with ATV.  For now, i'm just living with the resampling and not letting it get in the way of my listening.  What I (may) lose in quality I gain in ease of access.

Drew

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 14
I purchased the Airport Express; and, I am sending signal from it to preamp using RCA output. I am assuming the unit is down sampling my hi rez to 16/44. At any rate, it sounds awesome, more detail than with any prior means of enjoyment.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 14
Yep, the Airport express is limited to 44.1, but you can pass directly through to your receiver/DAC using this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

Now, that said there are many streamers on the market that claim 96/24. For example:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/dac/DAC-2-Wireless-USB-Digital-to-Analogue-Converter

There are others.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 14
I may order the Toslink cable you suggested, thanks for the link. Interestingly though, I think I am hearing better or perhaps more detailed sound using the AE's DAC than I did when using a USB to S/PDIF converter which was set for pass through of 24/96. Could be my 12 year old Sony TA-E9000ES's digital processor is not as good as the DAC in the AE. At any rate, using the AE's DAC, my listening experience has been somewhat elevated.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 14
For my desktop computer set up have the Sony DA80ES, which is limited to 48K. I looked at the specs for the -E9000ES and it is also limited.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 14
  For my desktop computer set up have the Sony DA80ES, which is limited to 48K. I looked at the specs for the -E9000ES and it is also limited.

How is the TA-E9000ES limited? It's DVD Toslink Optical Input  plays 24/96 material, so I do not know what you mean when you say it is limited.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 14
  How is the TA-E9000ES limited? It's DVD Toslink Optical Input  plays 24/96 material, so I do not know what you mean when you say it is limited.

I believe the DAC in the older models is the limitation. I found the manual for the TA-E9000ES and here's what it says:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3865040151.PDF
Coax and DVD Optical can go to 24/96, but the other inputs cannot (p7). So it would depend on which inout you are using.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 14
   I believe the DAC in the older models is the limitation. I found the manual for the TA-E9000ES and here's what it says:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3865040151.PDF
Coax and DVD Optical can go to 24/96, but the other inputs cannot (p7). So it would depend on which inout you are using.

Yes, I am using the optical DVD input which allows 24/96. It works really well coupled to my X-FI HD converting USB to S'PDIF.. Still, I think the DAC in the Airport Express may be better than the one in the pre/pro, as you have alluded. I have ordered a mini optical to Toslink. After I have a chance to use it, I'll get back here with my impressions.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14

Yes, I am using the optical DVD input which allows 24/96. It works really well coupled to my X-FI HD converting USB to S'PDIF.. Still, I think the DAC in the Airport Express may be better than the one in the pre/pro, as you have alluded. I have ordered a mini optical to Toslink. After I have a chance to use it, I'll get back here with my impressions.

From what I understand the optical cable used with the AE will allow the file to be streamed 16/48 from your computer to the Pre/Pro, bu with out wires, and thus with a much higher WAF (magic!). Your Pre/Pro DAC will be used to convert the file. If you want to use the DAC in the AE you will need to run an analog cable from the AE to the Pre/Pro. I'm guessing the Pre/Pro has a better DAC than the AE.

Basically you are going from 24/96 to 16/48. My guess also is that unless you have great ears and/or a fantastic audio system, you will be no able to tell the difference. If you can tell the difference, just wait a few years until you are my age (50), and then it will be much harder to tell the difference! :)

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Right now I'm using the AE's analog output, and thus, its DAC. I think when the mini optical to Toslink arrives I will be able to discern if the DAC in the AE or TA-E9000ES is better. I'm betting on the DAC in the AE as I am hearing more detail now than with USB to S/PDIF. Could be the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD I had been using for conversion was weakest link, I don't know. At any rate, the sound I am now hearing from music stored in iTunes at 16/44 and 24/96 using the AE's DAC is pretty awesome. I was not expecting it, as I thought I was already hearing music as good as it could be heard.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 14
Well, It's been two years now that I've owned the Airport Express to get iTunes to my home theatre wirelessly. I'm happy. One thing though, everything in iTunes is converted by AE to 16/44.1. This means of course my hi-res files on my computer are only getting to my HT at CD quality. I'm not sure I could hear anything any better; but, it does pique my interest in the Marantz NA 6005 network audio player which would provide all the wireless functionally of the AE in addition to giving me a wireless dac function which will work with hi-res files. Any here using the Marantz? I've received some input from a few here on their ideas about the device; but, as of yet, I have not heard from anyone who actually has any experience with the device. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 14
Don't waste money. Human ears can't tell quality 320 Kbps AAC from lossless. You can try to find any properly documented DBT that points to the contrary. In fact with Opus human ears can't tell 128Kbps from lossless.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Don't waste money. Human ears can't tell quality 320 Kbps AAC from lossless. You can try to find any properly documented DBT that points to the contrary. In fact with Opus human ears can't tell 128Kbps from lossless.

https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=77128
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=70598
etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back