AirPods
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #121 of 709
All of the W1 headphones available are undoubtedly the best wireless experience a consumer can get today. The Solo3 do sound better than the AirPods, but I would definitely not do cardio with the Solo3.

Yes of course!! Solo3 has much more natural bass than many iems, but still AirPods are more balanced and "airy". And after using Solo3 for some time they get softer and don't bother your ears anymore...

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #122 of 709
Yes of course!! Solo3 has much more natural bass than many iems, but still AirPods are more balanced and "airy". And after using Solo3 for some time they get softer and don't bother your ears anymore...

I think it's more so the clamping force loosening or the ears getting used to the Solo3. They are a quality headphone, completely worth the price at around the $200 point.

It's too bad because I really enjoy the Solo3 and now want a pair of AirPods, but I feel a bit financially irresponsible buying a disposable pair of $159 earbuds as well then potentially another wireless headphone soon. The Momentum 2.0 Wireless are a solid pair of wireless headphones as well that definitely have a superior soundstage and impressive separation, but if I'm being honest I'm more attached to the Solo3 and the idea of the AirPods.

I'd like to test more headphones myself, but most people who reviewed all the newest NC headphones find the M2 Wireless to be best. That being said I don't need ANC.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #123 of 709
I think it's more so the clamping force loosening or the ears getting used to the Solo3. They are a quality headphone, completely worth the price at around the $200 point.

It's too bad because I really enjoy the Solo3 and now want a pair of AirPods, but I feel a bit financially irresponsible buying a disposable pair of $159 earbuds as well then potentially another wireless headphone soon. The Momentum 2.0 Wireless are a solid pair of wireless headphones as well that definitely have a superior soundstage and impressive separation, but if I'm being honest I'm more attached to the Solo3 and the idea of the AirPods.

I'd like to test more headphones myself, but most people who reviewed all the newest NC headphones find the M2 Wireless to be best. That being said I don't need ANC.

If I were you and since you care mostly for music, I would just stick with Solo3. I agree with you to refrain from spending for AirPods right now, since for your style the Solos are a very good choice!

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #124 of 709
I have the Beats Solo3 Wireless, AirPods and the new BeatsX Wireless.

If anyone has any questions on the AirPods vs Beats or vs any current flagship bluetooth headphone just ask, or any questions re the new BeatX.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #125 of 709
I stopped by the Apple Store yesterday to pick up some Beats X.  The guy said they had AirPods in stock.  I put a demo unit in while he was getting the Beats X and decided I'd give them a try as well.  My impressions of the 2 were completely the opposite of what I expected!  The Beats are going back and I'm keeping the AirPods.

I generally hate in-ears.  I don't even like on-ears.  I use P9's and P7 Wireless as my primary headphones for pure listening right now.  I thought it might be nice to have something that was more portable and easier to deal with.  I hated how EarPods fit and just generally didn't like anything about them.  When I got home I connected the AirPods, stupid simple, and just started listening.  Lots to like.  Do they compare to my other sets?  Not a chance.  But they sound better than a lot of more expensive sets I've tried.  Mostly I just love the convenience.  The case, pairing, and pausing when you remove one are all completely brilliant.  More on the AirPods in a minute.

I thought I would prefer the Beats.  I paired them up (just as simple) and started listening.  Right away I didn't care for having the seal in my ear.  The sounds was a bit better at first impression, but I was also hearing the cable moving on my shirt constantly.  So I fiddled with the around the neck part and alleviated that.  Still I just didn't like the wires pulling.  At this point I started switching back and forth.  At one point the midrange just sounded strange on the Beats.  Within 2 hours of switching back and forth, the Beats were back in the box.

The biggest drawback of the AirPods is the controls (or lack thereof)  If you have an Apple Watch, set one of your dock apps to be the music control, switch that on when you start playing, and every time you raise your wrist you have skip and volume controls right there.  They are easy to drop when handling.  If you expect these to be the best audio experience and isolate and all of that, you are just not in the right place.  These are more like an all season tire.  You can use them in more situations and they do everything well.  I can't use my P9's walking around the house for various reasons.  I can't use my P7's when I'm with my kids because I can't hear them.  I'm finding the AirPods are letting me listen to music more often.  I can listen while the kids are just hanging out and hear them when something is going on.  Pull out one and the music pauses so I can have a conversation.  Or just have 1 in and I can always have a conversation and always hear my music.  I've found battery life to be spot on with their claims.  I listened for about an hour straight and they were at 80% - should hit 5 hours easy.

In summary, I thought I might like the Beats X and when they had AirPods I decided to give them a shot.  In the end I found the AIrPods to be a very pleasant surprise.  They are definitely joining my P7 and P9's in my permanent (for now) stable.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #126 of 709
I have the Beats Solo3 Wireless, AirPods and the new BeatsX Wireless. All the reviews for these are on my blog, gavinsgadgets.com . The BeatsX went live today, its also under menu, review, audio.

If anyone has any questions on the AirPods vs Beats or vs any current flagship bluetooth headphone just ask, or any questions re the new BeatX.

Hi Gavin, I checked your site but I'm interested in a sound quality comparison between the three.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #127 of 709
Worst. Beats Solo3,

AirPods better. Not audiophile. Mine fit my ears well so sound ok and the convenience of wire free is great.

BeatsX. Best audio quality. Better than any Beats headphone at this price point and the Solo3. They've been tuned to be more neutral ish. I can listen to my classical music with these and enjoy it.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #128 of 709
Worst. Beats Solo3,

AirPods better. Not audiophile. Mine fit my ears well so sound ok and the convenience of wire free is great.

BeatsX. Best audio quality. Better than any Beats headphone at this price point and the Solo3. They've been tuned to be more neutral ish. I can listen to my classical music with these and enjoy it.

I've heard the BeatsX have a more present treble than past Beats products, so that should be why classical is so enjoyable on them.

Do the BeatsX retain the punchy bass of the Solo3 despite the neutrality?

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #130 of 709
The BeatsX have better mids and treble. And yes to the punchy bass. I prefer the whole spectrum on the BeatsX over the Solo3, bass included. A more dynamic headphone.

Hmm, the BeatsX are a good value and if they sound better I might just get rid of the Solo3.

$150 price, plus it comes with a $30 iTunes credit (in the U.S. at least) and a Lightning cable which Apple sells at $29. So the net cost for the headphones are under $99 with tax.

I'm also interested in the AirPods/BeatsX form factor because it'll push me to listen to more podcasts/audiobooks. Much more convenient than using a wired headphone especially for that purpose.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #131 of 709
How is the connectivity with the airpods for people who have them? It's the largest issue for me buying them. I'm scared they will keep cutting out for fractions of a second like all/most other true wireless heaphones. Battery life isn't much of an issue since I mainly only need at most 2 hours at the gym

Also, what is everybody's thoughts on the jlab epic air? They come out next month and seem pretty hype. The epic airs seem to resolve the connectivity issue with a huge antenna hidden in the behind the ear support. We won't know until it launches though

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #132 of 709
Hmm, the BeatsX are a good value and if they sound better I might just get rid of the Solo3.

$150 price, plus it comes with a $30 iTunes credit (in the U.S. at least) and a Lightning cable which Apple sells at $29. So the net cost for the headphones are under $99 with tax.

I'm also interested in the AirPods/BeatsX form factor because it'll push me to listen to more podcasts/audiobooks. Much more convenient than using a wired headphone especially for that purpose.

My opinion is that BeatsX is not convenient to use. It's an old style neckband iem which to me is funny to be marked as wireless! BeatsX wire is double length and maybe even more than the one on Powerbeats! There are 2 looping and long wires coming down on your face, getting pulled by your clothes, hitting on your jackets zippers etc! This has more wires than my wired iems on which at least the cables were directed straight down without loops!!

Regarding sound, there are reviewers like the one on cnet who believe that BeatsX treble is quite sibilant. Most probably it gives the impression of "better" treble but it may get fatiguing and sibilant after long sessions. Solo3 is a really solid headphone with smooth treble and an impressive but natural bass...

In any case i believe that the king of overall usage and convenience is for sure a pair of AirPods...

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #133 of 709
My opinion is that BeatsX is not convenient to use. It's an old style neckband iem which to me is funny to be marked as wireless! BeatsX wire is double length and maybe even more than the one on Powerbeats! There are 2 looping and long wires coming down on your face, getting pulled by your clothes, hitting on your jackets zippers etc! This has more wires than my wired iems on which at least the cables were directed straight down without loops!!

Regarding sound, there are reviewers like the one on cnet who believe that BeatsX treble is quite sibilant. Most probably it gives the impression of "better" treble but it may get fatiguing and sibilant after long sessions. Solo3 is a really solid headphone with smooth treble and an impressive but natural bass...

In any case i believe that the king of overall usage and convenience is for sure a pair of AirPods...

I'd agree. The length of the cord on the BeatsX in the promo videos looks pretty ridiculous, though they are an otherwise better-looking IEM than I expected.

The AirPods are absolutely more revolutionary and convenient, while I feel like the Solo3 will have the better sound quality of the three for me personally. They do sound terrific, with the only con being it doesn't have the most revealing treble but it's also not at all harsh. Not at all as lacking as I had initially found it.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #134 of 709
How is the connectivity with the airpods for people who have them? It's the largest issue for me buying them. I'm scared they will keep cutting out for fractions of a second like all/most other true wireless heaphones. Battery life isn't much of an issue since I mainly only need at most 2 hours at the gym

Also, what is everybody's thoughts on the jlab epic air? They come out next month and seem pretty hype. The epic airs seem to resolve the connectivity issue with a huge antenna hidden in the behind the ear support. We won't know until it launches though

I have been using AirPods for 3 weeks, every day and I haven't faced any connectivity issue with them. The W1 chip of Apple pretty much resolves these issues...

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #135 of 709
I am interested in the Airpods but am worried about the fit. I have small ear canals and the earpods don't stay in well. I typically use IEMs that come with small tips or compatible with Comply tips. The other issue I have is I am a little self-conscious and not sure I would want to wear them to the gym. Anyone here wears them at the gym?

I ordered the Beats X yesterday and they are coming Wednesday. I am concerned with the cord length based on comments here and other reviewers. It does sound like I'll get a good seal for using at the gym and public transit.

It would be nice to have both but my budget will only me to buy and keep one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back