AirPods
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #692 of 709
Here is an excerpt from an extensive review by Lance Ulanoff published in the on-line site Medium.com.

“Apple designed the H1 chip specifically for its headphones, bringing with it a new audio architecture. In general, sound quality across all activities was better — not radically better but noticeable. On music, AirPods have always done a remarkable job of maintaining the clarity of high notes while delivering notable bass for their size. Listening to a variety of musical genres on the new AirPods, I noticed the signature quality was enhanced so that there was a bit more sharpness on the hand claps in Daft Punk’s Lose Yourself to Dance, and the sax on Phil Collins’ One More Night sounded like it was in the room with me. The lushness of Josh Groban and Barbra’s Streisand’s harmonies on Somewhere is, well, lusher with the AirPods 2.“

Here is the link to the whole article:

https://link.medium.com/N1azuEgkrV

Here is What Hi-fi’s review. They report better sound.
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/apple-airpods-2019

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #694 of 709
They reported better sound between iphone 7, 8 and X, and wrote for example that the S9 or LG V30 sounds worse then the iPhone.. all this is objective not possible... :xf_eek:
Yeah, think you’re right: I would like to hear a more neutral opinion....

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #695 of 709
We’ll get FR measurements soon enough. I saw Rtings purchased them so we should get a review soon.

I expect minor improvements.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #696 of 709
Apr 20, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #697 of 709
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #698 of 709
Can anyone help me please ? I am searching for a earphone for a long time . Something to listen to female vocal , I prefer low bass and an outstanding voice clear .
I spent 1000$ in one in ear but I still prefer my AirPod in terms of clearity and brighter voice .. can anyone help me with a suggestion? Someone tell me to try IM -02 , please I need help !

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #699 of 709
Can anyone help me please ? I am searching for a earphone for a long time . Something to listen to female vocal , I prefer low bass and an outstanding voice clear .
I spent 1000$ in one in ear but I still prefer my AirPod in terms of clearity and brighter voice .. can anyone help me with a suggestion? Someone tell me to try IM -02 , please I need help !

AirPods really aren’t bad. If you enjoy bright vocals they get the job done with a remarkable level of clarity considering they’re truly wireless Bluetooth earbuds.

Audeze has the iSine10 on sale for half-off currently, and they can be EQ’d via an iPhone app however you’d like.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #700 of 709

AirPods are good for voices. It’s the low frequencies where they really suck! So, since you also did not like 1000 dollar in ear, just stick with AirPods!!

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #701 of 709
AirPods 2 should sound the same if not slightly inferior to the first-generation product:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/apple/airpods-2-truly-wireless-2019

It’s a minor update that adds the H1 chip and wireless charging. We have the Powerbeats Pro to look forward to next month but a true next-generation version of AirPods will probably take another year or so.

I am really looking forward to the Powerbeats pro which I guess I will purchase right after they hit the stores! I just hope they will be more stable in the ears than previous Powerbeats 3. Good bass and general audio reproduction, completely wire free, light, water resistant, with good in ear seal, at least as reported up to now from first reviewers. It’s the one headphone that was missing from Apple’s W1/H1 program. Let’s see how it will really behave in day to day usage scenarios...

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #702 of 709
@SparkOnShore

It’s exactly what I like the most , bass that don’t get in the way in the vocals. I think that there isn’t a perfect phone , just one that prioritize one thing rather than others .
If someone who really like the AirPods/EarPods know something likely to then in sound quality but better please share :)

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #703 of 709
Also with the hook I have one more question , do EarPods and AirPods has the same sound quality ? I know that AirPods stands better in low frequencies than EarPods , but talking about mid and high frequencies and a brighter sound , it’s the same thing ?

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #704 of 709
Also with the hook I have one more question , do EarPods and AirPods has the same sound quality ? I know that AirPods stands better in low frequencies than EarPods , but talking about mid and high frequencies and a brighter sound , it’s the same thing ?

AirPods better than EarPods in all areas of audio spectrum. Also louder and clearer. If you don’t care bass, AirPods all the way! I listen to bass music mainly and very rarely to singer stuff, so I am the opposite of you and AirPods do no good to my music library...

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #705 of 709
Recently I have been listening to music with my Airpods 2nd gen more than with my wired headphones - B&W P5 2nd gen, due to convenience only. I did not expect much from the Airpods in terms of sound quality. I bought them for calls and podcasts mostly. However, much to my surprise, I liked them very much and prefer them to the B&Ws for some music.

The thing I am missing though is adequate mid-low-bass reproduction. They start rolling off way too fast at about 100hz, as already mentioned in this thread. I think that loudspeakers and headphones with such a lack of lower bass response are not really high fidelity even if they sound fine otherwise. It might be narrow frequency spectrum but it carries lots of energy in music.

I noticed that the bass response changes significantly if I push the Airpods a little towards the opening of my ear canals. Basically the missing bass appears. I guess this is because they do not go in-ear, but just sit in the pinna leaving an air gap.

So I decided to try some of these in-ear silicone tips and bought the Elago Earbuds Basic Cover as they were locally available in my area. There are other brands to chose from in the big retailers though. The Elagos include four pairs in the box - two small and two large, plus a carrying case. Some general usability impressions:

- Easy enough to put on and remove, they do not fit in the charging case.
- The tips are shallow, and are not supposed to be inserted deep into the ear. I have previously owned Westone um3x, Shure se110, Klipsch Custom 3, Apple In-ear Headphones with Remote and Mic. The Elago tips are roughly half the length of these.
- As a result of the shallow fit, there is no isolation, maybe just a tiny bit more than with no tips.
- I find them comfortable enough, I do not notice any discomfort caused by the in-ear fit or by the slight increase in size.
- The proximity sensors work fine.
- Fit is more secure

Now for the sound. Most importantly, there is a lot more bass now. The overall sound signature is more balanced. I've been playing various songs/genres and I must say I like what I am hearing. I also tried a hearing test (sinusoidal wave from 20hz to 20khz). Without the tips, I could barely hear anything below 80hz in a quite room, with the tips installed these frequencies are clearly audible. I do not notice any major changes in the rest of the spectrum. The Airpods are a bit more "darker" sounding now, but vocals, cymbals, hi-hats and such are not muted or overpowered in any way. Sound is still not as bass heavy as the B&Ws which is OK, because I find them somewhat bass heavy for certain songs.

It would be interesting if someone tested the Airpods with such in-ear tips and we had the frequency response graph to compare with stock Airpods.

I can recommend these for people that like the general sound of the Airpods but want more bass, especially mid-bass and low-bass. Note that I do not have any relation with the manufacturer, I as I said, this was the option available to me locally, so that is the only reason I chose Elago. I see that Comply, a reputable brand in the IEM area, makes a similar product - SoftCONNECT, but with foam inserts instead of rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back