Airline Security
Nov 6, 2007 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

puft54cs

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I just put together my first portable rig, ipod 80GB classic, ALO Jumbo Cryo LOD, Headsix amp, and Shure E420 IEMs. I am flying commercially in January and I would like to take my portable rig with me and was wondering how the TSA would react when this passes through the airport security x-ray scanner?

Will they recognize what it is or will I be subject to a body cavity search?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 20
haha. i wouldn't be too concerned about it. just the amp might look funny with the LOD. I got stopped with my C&C XO, they thought I was carrying liquids =). I wouldn't keep them all in a big mass either, they have a tendency to stop large amounts of metal. I'd put the LOD and amp in ur carry on and go through the scanner first, then put the ipod and IEM's with your wallet and watch etc. in the smaller baskets

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 20
They'll be much more concerned about whether you're carrying a tube of toothpaste that's not in a 1-quart plastic bag. Seriously. I've taken my portable rig though airport security hundreds of times without even the slightest hassle.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 20
I've never had trouble flying with my portable rig either.
If they do question you, just show them that it plays music and doesn't blow people up.

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 20
It varies from airport to airport. I travel for work almost every week. I put my portable rig in a digital camera bag, with iAudio X5 in one pocket, amp in another pocket, connected by a homemade dock cable that extends out of one pocket and goes into another. Also a pair of Ety headphones (more wire). It's the wires that freaks out TSA the most.

You can either do two things:

1/ Leave the rig intact as is in your backpack or carry-on bag and send it through the X-ray. (9 out of 10 times you should get through fine); or

2/ Remove all the cables from the rig and put them in a side pocket before sending it through the X-ray. You should get through every time without any issue. But I don't like connecting and disconnecting cables.

Whatever you do, don't take it out and put it in a tray. When TSA sees all those cables going from one place to another, they'll want to put it through that explosive analysis machine to make sure it's not a bomb.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It varies from airport to airport. I travel for work almost every week. I put my portable rig in a digital camera bag, with iAudio X5 in one pocket, amp in another pocket, connected by a homemade dock cable that extends out of one pocket and goes into another. Also a pair of Ety headphones (more wire). It's the wires that freaks out TSA the most.

Even the wires don't really bother TSA much when they realize that everything is connected to a CD player or MP3 player. Those that are still curious usually lose interest when you explain that it is an amplifier for your headphones.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 20
I just got back from Vegas and I did not have any problems through the airports. I had my peices seperate and in my backpack and no one even took a second look.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 20
iMod 4th Gen 60gb--> Wyvern 16 IC--> XIN SuperMacro IV-->headphone--> Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, Saipan, Phillipines, London, Paris, New Delhi, Dakar, Nairobi, Jo'burg......no problems whatsoever. No one even looked at it. My computer has got a pretty good cleaning with those little white round cloths though!

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 20
Take it out, take it apart, put it in the tray, throw in some cellphones, adapters, and you're good to go.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 20
You wont have any trouble.

I flew into JFK in july and had my portable rig in my carry on bag, I just put it in the tray and collected it the on the other side of the xray machine, they never bothered with it.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 20
If it's not some obviously home made diy I wouldn't worry. I seem to recall someone losing a mint amp to airport security somewhere though.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not some obviously home made diy I wouldn't worry. I seem to recall someone losing a mint amp to airport security somewhere though.

I had Gary's PA2V2 for about a year, and now have a PINT. Both are in very generic-looking cases with no lettering, etc making them look more DIY than "professional." I think between the two I have flown with them probablyt 15 times (4 overseas), and never once gotten so much as a second look. I was really concerned for the first few times, but have never had a problem. I usually put them in my computer bag with the rest of my accessories, and don't think twice about it.

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 20
Put them in one bag consist of your portable electronic devices.
Last time I flied, I got one bag consist of Vaio Pocket + Chargers, AKG K81DJ, cellphone + Chargers, Canon DSLR + Battery + Lens + Remote + Chargers, DS Lite + Chargers, Power supply for Laptop & external Hard Drives. I put my external Hard drives on another carryon w/ my clothing. During x-ray, I put out my laptop on the tray, followed w/ my bag (portable electronic devices) & another bag (clothing + external HD) They don't even bother w/ the bag that contain all those portable electronic devices but they re-scan my other bag & take the external HD out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back