Aircraft electrical cable
May 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nickyboyo

500+ Head-Fier
Are there any people out there who work on aircraft, especially avionic tradespeople who have experience with various MS aircraft grade cables. I have seen in my workplace various cable on reels, eg. silver coated copper cable and tin coated copper cable. Has anybody tried using some MS cable for interconnects ?

May 23, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 6
I use MS avionics wire on almost all my DIY audio...mostly from the main sensor cable used on the thermal imaging systems on the A-STAR and blackhawk helos. Solder loves the nickel/tin wire. Its a bit stiff, but the teflon coating on the low smoke versions is almost fireproof.

May 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use MS avionics wire on almost all my DIY audio...mostly from the main sensor cable used on the thermal imaging systems on the A-STAR and blackhawk helos. Solder loves the nickel/tin wire. Its a bit stiff, but the teflon coating on the low smoke versions is almost fireproof.

I just pulled up their website - how do you order wire from them? The nickel/tin sounds perfect for soldering and I love Teflon insulation. If you'd be kind enough to tell us how/where you order this, I'll definitely pick some up.

May 23, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sounds like we have a Ray junior
tongue.gif

May 23, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Just to clear something up for you folks who are non aircraft or aerospace background, MS means "military standard", it is not a brand name. I will find some numbers and give you examples of the numbering system and cable i have laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back