Air Conditioning Alternatives! It's SO HOT!
Jul 16, 2006 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

volcomjerk

100+ Head-Fier
My room is an oven... I swear its the worst room in the house. I can't install air conditioning through windows and I can't afford a portable air conditioning.

I'm looking to Head-Fi for suggestions for alternatives for air conditioning! On top of that AC units eat up power like no other!

I have a good fan too and all it does is blow the hot air around... please help!

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 66
Stay adequately hydrated. Not having enough water heats me up faster than anything. Cold water will help some, but water in general is the wisest.

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 66
Make your own AC.
cool.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 66
I was getting all excited until I saw the large ugly garbage can with water in it.

I cannot put that in my room.

Where can I get a cheap portable air conditioner? Around 100 bucks? The cheapest AC's are the window ones I could find one for like 80 bucks with 5,000 BTUs.

I don't need anymore than 5,000 BTUs.

Also I drink a lot of water but it just makes me sweat a lot.

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 66
Yeah, fans don't do much more than create more heat unless there is cooler air coming in. Electrical ones, that is.

Try this:
Turn off the computer. That heats up your room indefinitely.
Head downstairs where it's a gauraunteed cooler residence.
Lie down and read - you wont be bored and will consume less calories resulting in a lower body temperature.
Head to an A/C public building like a movie theatre or a library.
You wont get kicked out for loitering at a doctor's office if you just sit there for several hours pretending to "wait" for a patient to come out. If someone asks you questions, you just tell them, you're still waiting. If they ask for whom, mention a random pseudonym and if they persist after a few hours, leave upset and confused that you were told to wait for someone who never came. Or mention malpractice to keep them on edge and drink all of their free water.
Go to a public pool.
Close the window blinds or shades if you must stay in your room.
Fill your tub with ice. Then try not to drown with the cold water.

IF there are really problems, call 311 and they tell you all about the valid options. There are places you can go..like retirement homes, to cool down. Just be wise about it.

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 66
There is nothing to do in my house except be in my room when none of your friends want to head out to do something. Also it is very hot outside, I live in Southern California and being in your living room is better than sitting outside.

I also go outside a lot to go to the pool but for times when I want to relax in my room and no one wants to go out on a sunday I'm stuck in my room. So..... of course I'm trying to find alternatives for cooling down my room. Plus all my head-fi gear is in here and it's not very portable.

I have big windows so of course I have the greenhouse effect going on here too and my curtains aren't helping too much.

I guess there really isn't much you can do if people are building AC units with large containers holding iced water...

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 66
Fans don't necessarily lower the temperature of the room, but circulating air helps a great deal. It also helps to evaporate sweat, which is our built-in AC. I struggled with the same thing several years back, and got into collecting old fans. Emerson made the best, and here's a link to eBay's auctions:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...fan&category0=

The 12" and 16" models are the best, and look for the postwar ones. The earlier ones are excellent, too, but collectors drive the price up on them. Thanks to the hollow shaft single bearing motors, they always run. I've seen ones left outside for 20+ years run with new wire and a little oil. You should be able to get one for $40-$60. A little oil and a new power cord and headcord will get you in business. Replacing them is child's play, since they're enginered to be replaced. You'll find screws and nuts for the wires inside.

These old fans push more air than almost all new ones. Some of them even have large capacitors inside to cut down on electricity consumption. Most will draw about as much power as a 25-40W light bulb. That's not much heat rejection,either. Give one of them a try. If you'd llike to see more information about the old ones, look here:

http://www.fancollectors.org/

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
Do the wall ac's need to be installed in a window? I can't install anything in a wall or window =(

No, you can go the "portable" route. These units look like an small refrigerator, they still need a vent to the ouside like a clothes dryer (they come with it). The problem is cost, about $500

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 66
man i feel your pain..i am so glad those days are over...thank goodness for central air and not having to drive a POS car without ac. consider this the dues you pay for being young.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 66
...DO NOT eat ice cream to stay cool. It is cold at first (good) but then as it digests and gets used by the body, it burns HOT as a fuel (if you think of food as fuel), and that's bad. Other foods burn hot too. Eat lots of fruit, and cool water.

Laz

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 66
Get a dehumidifier. Anything around 90 degrees (F) is perfectly tolerable for me, if it's dry out. If it's humid though, even 80 is pretty tough for me.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
man i feel your pain..i am so glad those days are over...thank goodness for central air and not having to drive a POS car without ac. consider this the dues you pay for being young.

ignore this guy..he is a total a**...you need relief now not 10 years from now....whatta jerk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back