Aikido HV power supply PCBs
Mar 5, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #46 of 52
The rectifier boards arrived today.

HVTop_edited.JPG

HVBot_edited.JPG

For comparison, the board to the left is from PCBPro. PCBPro has somewhat crisper silk screen, but the 10mil Olimex silk screen is fine.

The Olimex boards have a slightly rougher cut edge then PCBPro. Not something I'd even noticed until I looked at the photos.

For RoHS compliance Olimex has gone to immersion gold. Very nice. You can't see it in the photos but some of the PCBPro boards had significant solder puddles. Not a big deal, but Olimex is a clear winner over PCBPro here.

Minor gripe. I sent the Eagle .brd file along with my Gerbers. Olixmex used the .brd file. In the .brd file, the board outline and the Rev 0.4 text were in non-standard Layer 121. Olimex took everything in 121 and put it in all the layers. -- So I've got copper and silk on the board outline. I've also got an reversed Rev 0.4 on the bottom. I pulled up the copper from the board outline. No big deal and looks fine. I should know better then to include a .brd file. I only sent them Gerbers for the regulator board.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the results. Price was good 47USD for two including shipping from Bulgaria.

The regulator boards should ship in about week and be here in two.

I've decided on an Aikidio configuration. SPICE says it will idle at about 35mA for a Stereo pair. I'm going to get a transformer and choke in the 60mA range.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/me wonders why there are no designs using rectifier tubes in this thread :|

confused.gif

My board uses a 6V4 or 6CA4.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #49 of 52
The regulator boards are here. This time I didn't leave my .brd file in the zip I sent to Olimex. They used my Gerbers.

HV783.JPG

I'm pleased with the way these turned out. $36.30 for 3 including airmail from Bulgaria. PCB Express would have been $200 for two. Batch PCB would charge $32.50 for one or $77.50 for 3.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #52 of 52
I powered up the rectifier board. It works. The 380V output is a bit higher then my simulations predicted. Didn't take long to figure out why. The Hammond transformer is spec'd at 115V but the wall power here is 121V.That's 5%. I'm using a 15k load. At 380V that's about 25mA. The 270CX is 275-0-275 at 65mA.

A 270AX or JX would have been a better match. I think I'll just run the amp at 300V to 350V. Time to hit the tube handbooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back