AIAIAI Tracks: HERE AND BEYOND
Oct 5, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pinoyman

1000+ Head-Fier
people, i would like to share to you my impressions and experience with this new headphone - the AIAIAI (eye-eye-eye) TRACKS.

i purchased them at DIGITALHUB store in greenhills.
there are two headphones in the AIAIAI line, the TMA-1 and the TRACKS.
the tracks have 3 colors to choose from, all black(tuxedo look), blue and yellow (bright look), and all cream. they also comes with mix-match color... blue and cream, black and cream, cream and yellow.

prices:
TMA-1   =     p8,999
TRACKS =     p2,500

AIAIAI Tracks 
driver unit:                        40mm
plug:                                3.5mm stereo plug
spekaker impedance:          32 ohm
speaker sensitivity:             112+/-3dB
maximum power output:     40 mW
frequency response:           20-20KHz      

before i hand to you my review, i just want you guys to know that i am no audio expert, i have no experience or whatsoever to be professional... i just enjoy my music thru the simplest approach. digitally encoded songs 320kbps MP3 format and my only player, ipod classic 120g in apple dock.

all the words i described here is only for what personally feel and hear.

the photos here are only taken with my samsung champ, 1.3megapixel, the only phone-camera i got for now.

a.  whats in the box:     

the box is made of a hard carton. inside, the headphone is neatly placed. you get the aluminum headbandrubberized coated phoneswith 3.5mm jack at the end, a brochure9 aiaiai stickers (just like what will you get when you buy an apple ipod), a carrying bag, and 4 extra rings in different colors that you use to attached the phones (mine was cream and yellow). 

Photo-0022.jpg

Photo-0023.jpg

b.  the aiaiai tracks:

tracks headphone series are on ear headphones inspired by the function and design of the old iconic walkman headphones.  the development has been a collaboration with kilo design to ensure a unique expression together with the newest speaker driver technology and material craftsmanship.  the 40mm driver offers a full spectrum sonic experience from the deepest bass to high frequency tones.

the design of tracks is subtle with a clear focus on organic lines and an overall iconic shape.  the simple brace design fits all and ensures a comfortable and secure fit.  the slider connecting the ear cup and the brace comes in three sets of different colours for customization.  you can easily slide off your ear cups and pack them securely for transportaion or share your music with a friend on the road.

-based on the brochure in the box

Photo-0003.jpg

c.  impressions:

first lets talk about the looks of this headphones...
the phones look so sleek, so plain and so unique compared to those phones in the market available today. 
the bands are made of aluminum, unlike sennheiser's plastic body.  so thin. so light. and cold to the touch. 
the phones are detachable on the sides by sliding them up thru the railings.  the phones are held together by a button size clip which has a metal part inside to make sliding with the band slide smoothly.
 they are very smooth to the feel, the phones are covered by rubberized coating.   the overall weight is light as a feather even when phones attached, and the cord of the phones have a Y splitter at the center.  the headphone doesnt feel cheap. the ear paddings are made of soft-class materials.  they do leave a mark after an hour of used, but return to their normal state after a minute.

Photo-0009.jpg

Photo-0007.jpg

Photo-0013.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg

Photo-0005.jpg

now for the sound quality.
i only have very few experiences on headphones.
i can only make a comparison based on sennheiser px100-ii(2), sennheiser hd2xx, hd3xx and hd4xx, bose on ear triport, some in ears: klipsch s4, ultimate ears 700, apple earphone, and philips in ears.  these are all the one ive tried, ive demoed and owned.

the tracks i am going to test with are the following:

*hotel california by eagles
*anything and everything by chieli minucci
*how can you mend a broken heart by michael buble
*no more cry by the corrs, acoustic live version
*africa by toto 

all encoded in 320kbps, straight from macbook pro volume level 40%.

EAGLES, HOTEL CALIFORNIA
the intro have some drama, have some space, like some heavy air on them along with the instruments. the sound doesnt feel cold. there is weight on them. i thinks its the mids. it supports every part of the high frequency, and its nice and relaxing. unlike the bose triport that sometimes very fatiguing due to the very strong highs.
now for the voice, its not very upfront like my ue 700, not very concert-like. they blend nicely with instruments. 
every frequency of the music are delivered nicely. you hear them all. clear and very warm. unlike in senn px100-ii, some part seems delivered in a muddy way, when the phones cannot handle some information on the song.  the highs are just okey. there is the rumbling in the phones, its like it makes you feel the sound from the music, like it pushes some air in your ears, to show the emotion of the song, only experience them with the bass sections. highs are not the strong section of this phones, the bass seems very very controlled, it tells where the bass should be, it doesnt overpower the mids and the highs..
there is some rumbling "boom-boom", and the relaxing mids, nice vocals. i wish the highs are more sharpened to make the sound more lively. it would make these phones sound much better.

CHIELI MINNUCI, ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING
there is that warm sound again.  this time the song is full with warmth and sweet highs because of the instrument in the song...guitars. they do a great job here, they play it in a very relaxing way.  there is really a strong bass here but doesnt make the sound muddy. it is well controlled. there is some echo, i think, or an extension in bass. some instruments leave some echo feel to it. it doesnt die so easily.

THE CORRS, NO MORE CRY, ACOUSTIC VERSION
the instruments here are very lively... there is the sweet highs, strong bass and some echos, the one that i mentioned above, there is the warm sound and the voices of the three woman here can be heard clearly... andrea's voice is not that strong or upfront, maybe because this is a live version.  i really loved the instruments here, these sounded nice... they can be compared to my klipsch s4's midrange but a bit more highs, and needs to be sharpened maybe by an EQ.

TOTO, AFRICA
the sound here seems wider. some instruments sounded far from the others, there is that heavy controlled heavy bass, but not bloated, supported by the mids and the bit weak highs... the voices are not that upfront, but they are like performing in a hall or a club, there are textures in the bass, they are defined or detailed, they dont sound something that dies easily, they are a bit grainy and strong and you almost feel it. and it makes you move... i mean it moves you. its like you go with the beat. it makes you enjoy the music, and it sounds fun.

MICHAEL BUBLE, HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART\
the intros here are very engaging.. they are more than nice. and when bubles voice entered, they are very warm, the overall sound is warm, it makes you relaxed.  you feel the sadness of the song.  the highs here are clear and sweet, the mids here are full. truly KLIPSCH S4-HEADPHONE like, but more on details and strong bass and warmthness of the mids. the beegess entered and it gives you goosebumps in your skin.

final conclusion:

these are only based on what i tracks i have demoed so far.
please be informed that there is no perfect headphone that exist... only good headphones with some flaws to it.

i think these headphones are very very good in jazzs songs, and some rock and pop music.  they need some boost to make the sound lively on acoustic and concert live tracks.  

an amp is not that essential to drive these phones, they are fun and warm that makes you relaxed.
any portable sources with a hp out can drive these phones nicely, like my ipod classic and samsung champ.

if there are some minor issues, i wish these can cancel more outside noise but they cant cause they are on ears, but it isnt a problem because the good thing here, is that, you can talk to somebody even when you are wearing them, you dont need to take it off your ears to hear someone talking to you.

i also wish the highs to be more sharpened more improved, but not the like the bose on ears that is like very ear piercing highs, just to make some instruments more lively, but they are already sweet, maybe its just me, or because i want my music to be more like the sound of the ue700. 

these are definitely like the klipsch s4 turned headphone.
warm. relaxing. very nice sounding and also the fun factor of the looks.
great mids. sweet highs. and deep controlled bass.
when you play something like toto's africa, you will hear lots of grains, layers of bass.  they sound okey with that track but can be made more nicer maybe by using an amp. when you played strong tracks here, with great bass, you will them clearly but a bit grainy. 

the winning card here is the price, and its sound quality.

if i were to rate the headphone, it will be:

-aiaiai tracks

sennheiser px100-ii / px-200

sennheiser hd2xx, hd3xx, hd4xx

bose on ear triport

the aiaiai tracks beat the px100-ii in terms of pricing and the looks, and a bit in sound quality.  sometimes the px100-ii sounded hollow.  they sounded muddy in heavy tracks.  and you can compare them thru head to head, and you will see clearly who is the winner with these two.

the px100-ii(2) is the improved version of the px-100.
this sounded nicer than the hd2xx, hd3xx, and hd4xx.
in hdseries of senns, i was told that you needed an amp to hear their overall potential.

compare it to bose on ears triport, and youll clearly hear the winner... the tracks, far more superior in details and mids, not fatiguing like the bose, and they offer a nice bass, deep and tight...again, rumbling...the bose sometimes sound thin, sound hollow...its like youre missing something. and you wont enjoy much with the bose, i own them for 2 years, seeing the leather torn without my fault, and i never like their sound at all, so i sold them for 2.5k only and find tracks at the same price....with much better sound quality and build..

with the price of p2,500 against the p2,800 of px100-ii, plus include the aiaiai tracks an 4 extra clip in railing, a descent headphone bag plus nine stickers, i think ill go with the aiaiai than the senns.

always remember that headphones needs to be heard than to be explained in words.

you can try them out in digitalhub stores and ask for a demo unit.

these are not the best among headphones.
what i do know is that i really like them, i really enjoy them, and this is the best headphone for me, only for me. because i wanted on ears, they are easy to put on and off, i dont mind if they stay there for about 12hours because they are barely there on my ears due to its light weight, and they dont make my ears sweat...i hate bose's on ears.
they sounded just like what i really wanted and what im really looking for...
good quality headphones with good sound quality.

always remember that they are warm, the mids is rich, the highs can be sharpened more thru you EQ, and the bass is deep.
they are good for the price.
they have good looks, and buying them makes you unique among senns user.

if you are looking for a great pair of phones that will always makes you happy... THESE DELIVERS.  IT WONT FAIL YOU IN SOUND QUALITY. IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST BUT THIS IS GREAT!!! AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT.

i hope somehow, i did my share of part to tell you how aiaiai tracks are.
thank you very much for reading.
and right now...i am enjoying them more everyday.
cause thats what really matters...enjoying what you are listening to.

thanks!

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 5
how did this thread not get any attention?

You did a very nice job reviewing. A nice summary that is more point-formed at the end would be nice, but very in-detail and descriptive : )

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Nice thread. I was looking for a casual headphones in the net that has good quality sounds. When I saw tracks and its your review I think it may be the closest to the ideal portables that i'm looking for. 

I have i few question though.. Have you ever tried audio technica sj55? Like i said i was looking for a casual mid size headphones for travels that has good quality sounds. You see I'm just a student so my price range is only at 4k php max (i think its around $90). Loooking at reviews i have chopped my prospect down to just aiaiai tracks, sennheiser px 100 and audio technica sj55. With your review topping sennheiser px100, it all came down with just the two. I was wondering if will recommend sj55 over aiaiai tracks based on sounds. And also if you have another headphones come in mind with my price range then by all means you can suggest it.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 5
the only audio technica im fond of is the m50 line.
ive heard the px100, the tracks is better when compared.

i usggest you look for this:
philips air. (ala aiaiai tracks sounding: warm fat bass, rich and fun.)
philips shl5500 (this one will kick ass of some cans even higher end brands) (well, that's a statement!)
here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574331/the-philips-shl5500-natural-sounding-can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back