AIAIAI TMA-1's Buzzing in Right Ear cup + general help
Dec 27, 2011 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

makk

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is my first post, hope it's in the right place. I purchased a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1's a few weeks ago at around the $200 price tag. I was impressed and happy with them. Then one day, as I was leaning over to grab my coke can, I "lightly" tapped the right ear cup against the bed post. I heard a weird noise, similar to a clunk but not as heavy. Since then I have heard some buzzing here and there while listening to music.
So, I returned them and got my money back. My main question is 1) Are these types of headphones always so fragile? I mean it wasn't even moderately hit and 2) Thinking about either going back to these or getting a different pair for around the same price, any suggestions? The TMA-1's had wonderful bass and sound. I was impressed.

Thanks!
mac

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 13
You'll want to check the cable. The TMA-1 has a detachable cable, and the jolt may have dislodged it slightly.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 13

You may wish to consider getting a better headphone 
smile.gif

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Borrowing the thread for a while, sorry TS:

Gwarmi, what would be better headphones for about the same kind of money, especially for EDM?

HD25-II would be one, spent a bit of time between that and the TMA-1 the other day.

Thought the Senn was the better unit. Beyer DT1350 is available for similar money out here too
 ($398AUD vs $309AUD for the TMA-1)

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
 HD25-II would be one, spent a bit of time between that and the TMA-1 the other day.

Thought the Senn was the better unit. Beyer DT1350 is available for similar money out here too
 ($398AUD vs $309AUD for the TMA-1)

Well, it's basically between the TMA-1 and the Senns for me. I thought I was decided on the TMA-1, however, seeing as some people call it a fashion phone and whatnot, I'm lending a bit more towards the Senns..

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Well, it's basically between the TMA-1 and the Senns for me. I thought I was decided on the TMA-1, however, seeing as some people call it a fashion phone and whatnot, I'm lending a bit more towards the Senns..

I'm keen to hear another example of the TMA-1, you never know with production variance, sometimes
 you just get to hear a bad one. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
 I'm keen to hear another example of the TMA-1, you never know with production variance, sometimes
 you just get to hear a bad one. 

From my understanding they should have a little lower treble, but that the treble would be easily fixed by EQ:ing. I don't personally mind EQ:ing, as I do it all the time with every headphone except the D2000 - but I'm curious to why you don't like it. I don't mean to sound pessimistic or anything, sometimes we just don't like particular headphones that other people like. For me, it's the CAL!.. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
From my understanding they should have a little lower treble, but that the treble would be easily fixed by EQ:ing. I don't personally mind EQ:ing, as I do it all the time with every headphone except the D2000 - but I'm curious to why you don't like it. I don't mean to sound pessimistic or anything, sometimes we just don't like particular headphones that other people like. For me, it's the CAL!.. 

It's a difficult thing to achieve for anyone, but nonetheless I try to split my views between the objective and subjective.

Classic example for me would be the HD650. Objectively speaking, cannot really fault it too much, I recommend it
 for many seeking a non fatiguing lush presentation. It's a good all rounder. Would I buy one? Ahhh not really, can't say I would,
 even heavily discounted 
biggrin.gif

That's where I had issue with the TMA-1. I could not envisage in an objective manner how someone could listen to it and think
 'Hey for $300, this is worthy of my money'.

We all have our own criteria that is non-negotiable when it comes to a Head-Fi worthy headphone ~ for me it's clarity,
 and adequate resolution. The TMA-1 has neither, just a thumping bass beat (that many Ultrasones do better) and
 rolled off treble, grain was a huge contrast against it's potential clarity.

As I said in another thread though ~ It looks cool, very urban. AiAiAi know this and so the sales will roll in. No harm done
 if people are happy with it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

It's a difficult thing to achieve for anyone, but nonetheless I try to split my views between the objective and subjective.

Classic example for me would be the HD650. Objectively speaking, cannot really fault it too much, I recommend it
 for many seeking a non fatiguing lush presentation. It's a good all rounder. Would I buy one? Ahhh not really, can't say I would,
 even heavily discounted 
biggrin.gif

That's where I had issue with the TMA-1. I could not envisage in an objective manner how someone could listen to it and think
 'Hey for $300, this is worthy of my money'.

We all have our own criteria that is non-negotiable when it comes to a Head-Fi worthy headphone ~ for me it's clarity,
 and adequate resolution. The TMA-1 has neither, just a thumping bass beat (that many Ultrasones do better) and
 rolled off treble, grain was a huge contrast against it's potential clarity.

As I said in another thread though ~ It looks cool, very urban. AiAiAi know this and so the sales will roll in. No harm done
 if people are happy with it.

Thank you for your response. Yeah, I knew the treble was somewhat 'recessed' but not the degree of being rolled off. Now I'm starting to rethink this whole "TMA-1 va HD25"-dilemma as "[size=small]New[/size][size=small] **** has come to light![/size]" (The Big Lebowski :wink: ).

Treble, to me, is a big and important factor and I kind of wanted that it would be true that treble could be EQ:ed on these headphones. Did you try to EQ it?

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Yeah, I knew the treble was somewhat 'recessed' but not the degree of being rolled off. Now I'm starting to rethink this whole "TMA-1 va HD25"-dilemma as "[size=small]New[/size][size=small] **** has come to light![/size]" (The Big Lebowski :wink: ).

Treble, to me, is a big and important factor and I kind of wanted that it would be true that treble could be EQ:ed on these headphones. Did you try to EQ it?

No did not getting around to EQ'ing, but for me at this price point it should not need any EQ to sound respectable out of the box.
 I can see the appeal in tweaking a $50 XB500 for example.

Not much of an EQ enthusiast in general though
smile.gif

Maybe I'll notch a 1 or 2 dB here or there sometimes for a laugh, but not really into regraphing a headphone from what
 it was originally.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
 No did not getting around to EQ'ing, but for me at this price point it should not need any EQ to sound respectable out of the box.
 I can see the appeal in tweaking a $50 XB500 for example.

Not much of an EQ enthusiast in general though
smile.gif

Maybe I'll notch a 1 or 2 dB here or there sometimes for a laugh, but not really into regraphing a headphone from what
 it was originally.

I see. Well, I don't mind EQ:ing as long as it doesn't intrude on the audio quality (i.e. distorting to an audible degree). 
wink_face.gif

But maybe I should go fullsize on my portable solution as well. I used to walk around with my M50's in the past, and would probably have no problem doing it again with something else. Again, thank you for your insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back