AIAIAI Swirl review (pictures added)
Dec 31, 2011 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones

AIAIAI Swirl review:

I would like to thank advancedmp3players.co.uk for this review sample, and i will try and write as honest a review i can.

Gear used in this review:

IPod Classic 7G 160 GB - AIAIAI Swirl

No EQ used.

Driver Unit Size 10 mm Plug Angled Stereo Plug 3.5 mm Speaker Impedance 16 Ohm Speaker Sensitivity 105 +/- 3dB Maximum Power Input 20 mW Frequency Response 20-20KHz Microphone Sensitivity -42 +/- 3dB Microphone Directivity Omni-directional Style
Over the ear, straight down

MSRP: $97

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality:

These come in a very plain box, that opens to the side with a slide out box with the IEM's inside. Specifications can be found on the side of the box.
Inside you will find the IEM's with foam tips attached, also included are 4 pairs of silicone tips, which are very soft, I did not like the foamies that were included, and I usually like foam more than silicone. Not a wide array of accessories, which is a shame, no carry pouch or anything like that included.
These feel like very solid IEM's, the cable is very thick, the y-split is very large and made of very solid rubber, the cable below the y-split has a coiled section, I'm guessing so you don't pull on y-split if caught on something. The housing is very sturdy, the only complaint is the lack of proper strain relief on all these parts, the jack is hard plastic, with no rubber strain relief. Overall these feel like they should last a long time.

Comfort and Isolation:

Once you have achieved a good seal these are comfortable, but the thick cable can be a pain sometimes, as it is heavy if you wear them straight down, if worn over the ear this is not a problem. The isolation on these is not actually that great, they do block out moderate sound, but i would pick a different pair for public transport or use in loud places.

Microphonics and Driver flex:

Microphonics are not a problem with these, there is very little when worn down, and none if worn over the ear. Driver flex is a different story though, these suffer very badly from driver flex when inserting or refitting, which i find quite annoying.

Microphone:

The microphone and controls work fine and seem to be good quality, the buttons are not plasticy, and have a good click to them when you press them.

Sound:
Here's the part you've been waiting for.

Lows:
Very pronounced lows, deep, good texture, albeit sometimes boomy. the bass is not fast enough for heavy metal or very bassy tracks, but that is expected of a dynamic driver based IEM. These work well with dance music, rap and others. The lows are quite punchy while maintaing good extension and rumble, and good definition, although sometimes the lows are not as tight as the should be.

Mids:
The mids are well balanced, but warmed up by the lows, they are not very detailed. i really don't know what else to say, as they are not up front and aggressive, nor recessed, they could be described as laid back and warm, with nice presence. both male and female vocals sound fine on these. I could detect no sibilance in the upper mids.

Highs:
The highs take a backseat somewhat, they are present, but not upfront, they are just there. No sparkle, nor real detail or definition. I would describe the highs as quite bland, nothing special about them. These could use a boost in the highs. The one good thing about this is that these are fatigue free and are suitable for long listening sessions.

Soundstage, Instrument Separation and Imaging:
Soundstage is nothing spectacular, these is some airyness but not enough for any real 3D imaging. Instrument separation is very good, it is easy to pick up all the different sounds from different instruments. Imaging is good also, left-right panning is good, and lets you hear where the instruments are coming from.

Overall:
These offer a sturdy build quality, comfy fit and good sound but i think the price is a bit high. There are better options out there for cheaper, but if your looking for something sturdy with a non fatiguing sound, with good bass then you will like these. If you want a more balanced sound, with good detail, i suggest looking elsewhere.

Tracks used:

Funeral For A Friend - Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (apple lossless)

Bauhaus - Terror Couple Killed Colonel (apple lossless)

Black Uhuru - Utterance (apple lossless)

The Cure - Lovesong (apple lossless)

Eat Static - Survivors (apple lossless)

Eminem - When I'm Gone (apple lossless)

A Hero A Fake - Swallowed By The Sea (320kbps mp3)

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line (320kbps mp3)

Lady Gaga - Starstruck (320kbps mp3)

Lights - Saviour (320kbps mp3)

The Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Mix) (apple lossless)

Paramore - Misery Business (320kbps mp3)

The Scene Aesthetic - Beauty In The Breakdown (320kbps mp3)

Vivaldi - Spring-Allegro (apple lossless)

Hope you enjoyed

Oscar

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, this is the first review of these since 2010 I think. I own a pair and I like them. The only thing I differ from you is the isolation, which I think is good, but maybe is just that I haven´t heard something that isolates better (I am not an expert really). Nice review.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Really appreciate the review; I was considering these but maybe not then. Do you have any headphones you can post comparisons to?

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 6
check my profile, then search my started threads (there are a few reviews), im working on a comparison thread. what's your budget? sound preferences?

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back