AI / DAC / Soundcard / for the LSR305 ?
Nov 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Datastream

Head-Fier
I'm planning on getting the LSR305s but i'm not sure which Audio Interface is a good choice as i'll want to plugin headphones.
Also is it worth getting a better soundcard / dac as my motherboard is quite old.. if so any recommendations?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 17
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85.
You will need a stereo breakout cable.
http://hosatech.com/product/cmp-150/

You might find better prices on these cables at amazon.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 17
Definitely not both.

The on board card PurpleAngel recommends will get you all the SQ you want for a v. good price.

otoh If you have the cash it makes sense to pair semi pro active monitors with an audio interface. They were designed to compliment one another after all.

An audio Interface would get you at least as good SQ as a PCI on-board - but - it will cost you more money. Which might be difficult to justify when in combination with $300 speakers. So unless you are already planning on upgrading in the future, in which case it would be an investment, it's hard to recommend you spend more than ~$150 on an interface right now. If you had that much money you should spend it on speakers first if you follow me?

There are a couple of good options around at that price.

The NI Audio 2.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-audio-interfaces/traktor-audio-2/

It was originally designed for DJ use but don't let that put you off as it just happens to fit your needs perfectly for around $100.. 

The audio quality is pristine as you would expect of a co. wanting to sell professional grade software off the back of the hardware. Why would they risk it?

You can connect your monitors to one set of outputs and your headphones to the other. Each have their own volume control. You don't even have to listen to the same program...

It also works with USB via IPads and smartphones.

Focusrite 2i2

http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

This is slightly more expensive but in addition to the separate outputs and volume controls for speakers and 'phones it has a pair of universal inputs (microphone, line and instrument). The speaker out can be balanced as well which you can take advantage of with your LSR305s. Decent software package too.  The 2i4 (extra line outs) and 6i6 (extra ins, outs, S/PDIF and power supply) are good upgrades.

Come to think of it there are many alternative options. Visit a pro audio site and look at the USB audio interface selection. Feel free to ask further questions.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 17
I was looking at the Focusrite actually but i wont have any use for any of the other inputs though as i don't play any instruments. I'm really just looking for easy volume control and easy access to plugging in my headphones (DT770 possibly)

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 17
I was looking at the Focusrite actually but I wont have any use for any of the other inputs though as I don't play any instruments. I'm really just looking for easy volume control and easy access to plugging in my headphones, you know what i mean?

A FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp ($75) would work for you.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 17
Looks like PurpleAngel has nailed it for you DataStream. Everything you want right now and at a v. good price.

For the benefit of anyone else reading with a similar requirement I would like to mention that the input pair on the likes of the Focusrite is not limited to instruments. You can connect any balanced or unbalanced line level source to the rest of your playback system.

Perhaps a decent microphone for use when gaming, podcasting or Skype type app. A turntable for playing and ripping vinyl, or a dedicated CD player, radio or receiver tape monitor. A wireless receiver can be really useful - instant connection for smartphones and tablets when your mates come round! Anything at all really.

I know it's not for everyone but it is useful to have an interface with ADC and direct monitoring as well as DAC functionality. When using active monitors it allows your DAC to take up the command, control and connection tasks that you previously got from your AVR or receiver/int. amp.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 17
Cool thanks, i might look at the focusrite. I've been offered a good deal if i purchase both as well. Question about the LSR305s, which cables should i purchase?
I've heard people say to buy mono cables because of static issues or something. It's my first time buying any expensive equipment so i'm not entirely sure.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 17
Depends. If you do end up getting an interface with balanced outs you might as well use balanced (TRS or XLR) since the 305s support that, it doesn't cost more and it might save you some aggro down the line.

Otherwise stick with any decent quality RCA phonos you have hanging around. You might need a pair of adaptors like this in the back of the speakers as they don't support phono directly.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Cool thanks, i might look at the Focusrite. I've been offered a good deal if i purchase both as well. Question about the LSR305s, which cables should i purchase?
I've heard people say to buy mono cables because of static issues or something. It's my first time buying any expensive equipment so I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks

If your connecting the LSR305's to a DAC's balanced output, then you want to connect to the LSR305 with XLR or stereo 1/4" plugs.
If the DAC is using the more common unbalanced output, then you want to connect to the LSR305 using mono 1/4" plugs.
I believe it's page 7 or 8, in the JBL LSR305/308's manual that explains the inputs on the LR305.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Which output would i be using if i got the Scarlett 2i2?

It appears the 2i2 has 1/4" TRS balanced output jacks on the back and the LSR305 has 1/4" TRS balanced input jacks.
So you would want to get a cable with 1/4" stereo plugs on each end (matching ends), to connect the 2i2 to the LSR305s.
I would guess unbalanced 1/4" mono plugs (on each end) would also work, but might as well just use stereo 1/4" plugs, on each end.
Maybe using a balanced connection helps (very slightly) for audio quality.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 17
Slightly off topic but i just got my DT770s and they're extremely quite when playing them through my phone and don't appear to sound amazing through my speakers, the clarity is good but it just sounds kind of hollow. Will they definitely produce a better sound when plugged into an audio interface? I have 30 days to return them anyhow.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Which DT770s did you buy? Higher impedance DT770s certainly might not work well with a phone.

Also, not sure what you mean about playing headphones through your speakers. Unless you are talking about those headphone jacks that some multimedia sets have on them. I wouldn't expect much great sound quality out of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back