AI AI AI TMA-1 vs KRK KNS-8400 (don't tar and feather me for this comparison)
Jul 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thePortsman

New Head-Fier
I'm a proud owner of HD-650, and i'm looking for a set that is:

1. similar-sounding to HD-650
  2. portable
  3. durable
  4. able to deliver true response for recording rap vocals (amped E7/E10 <-- M-Audio FastTrack Pro <--i7/8GB Macbook Air)
  5. able to deliver excitement in casual listening especially in the 808 bass/hi-hat heavy genres (un-amped)

I understand the qualities of the TMA-1 and the KNS-8400 are quite different, but I am looking for the set that better encompasses the attributes I listed above.

Of course, I'm open to alternative suggestions  in the $150ish price range.

Thanks a mil 

Crash

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Whatever you do don't get any of the KRKs if you're looking for something similar to the TMA-1 and HD-650. You'll be majorly disappointed. I love the KRKs, but most people find them bass light. I think that's a bit of nonsense. They have good low-bass extension though.

The closest closed match to the HD-650 i've heard is a well amped Koss Pro DJ 100. The DJ100 is a little warmer/fuller sounding and has more treble (weird, I know). Sounds clearer too.

The DJ100 actually has a little more low bass, but it's very close. The HD-650 might have more mid bass and less upper mids.

Actually..they only do well unamped with a few portable sources. Some of the older Ipods and maybe the Ipod Touch 2G. Sometimes I think my 650 sounds better without an amp
confused_face_2.gif

If you want to try the KRKs i'd suggest the 8400 over the 6400. It seems to be a bit fuller sounding and has a little more bass presence maybe.

You could also look into the Shure SRH-840 (or 440 maybe?). That has more mid-bass than the DJ100 and KRKs and does a bit better without an amp. It's kind of large and awkward to wear though.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks t doc,

The qualm I have with both the SRH 840 and the DJ100 is the comfort level. 

the KNS-8400 and the TMA-1 seem to have similar levels of comfort and portability.

I'd rather not get the 8400's because of what you said about the low-end. The TMA-1 is the obvious winner in the bass category, but I also want to use it to record vocals and i'm not sure if they will deliver a true vocal representation…

any other suggestions? 

How about the M80?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back