AH! No more BP2EX at Sony!
Oct 22, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 25
You're right stereth.

Anyway just an update:

In a new e-mail from the DAPC guys, a ha! They are still available from Sony, just not through their website. You have to call their phone number (1-800-488-7669) and order it (part number 152832542).

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #17 of 25
Okay I'm sort of digging up a dying thread, but what's so bad about mis-matching the battery types? Lithium-Ion is much better than Lead Acid, and the original Sony batteries will die eventually as well. So, wouldn't the cheaper Lithium-Ion battery be a much better deal?

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 25
Hello,

The issue isn't which one is of better quality it is the characteristics of the material being recharged.

Lithium-Ion, NiCd, NiMH, lead-acid, all have different characteristics as to how each gets recharged. The recharge circuitry is designed for the type. Mix types and ruin the battery and possibly, the equipment.

Remember, Lithium-Ion and NiMH weren't around when some of these classic PCDP were introduced.

Best regards,

Paul

Oct 27, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 25
Hello,

Not with my recently rescued D-555!

No way! It's not going to the grave yet.

biggrin.gif

Best regards,

Paul

Oct 27, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
Who's gonna guinea-pig-up and try the Lithium Ion batts?

I'll try and find out the charging spec or at least something about the devices they're used in. I'll report back if I find anything useful. Notice that the Li batts are sometimes listed as 3.6 & 3.8 Volt, whereas the lead-acids are 4 Volt. This may have no relevence to the actual voltage but
rolleyes.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 25
Did anyone check out the charging characterists of the Lithium Ion version of the BP-2EX as these seem fairly easily available on the net. Is it a question of using a different power supply with higher miliamps or something in order to charge the modern battery inside the pcdp? or are any mods needed to the internal circuitry?
I want to get a new battery for my D-Z555.

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #23 of 25
Contacted Sony on this and they maintain that if the battery has the same serial number then it's ok to use it. I am still worried about using a charger designed for lead-acid with a LiON battery?

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 25
Im considering a CDP using this Bp2 battery. Anyone could post the exat size of the battery?

Since theres only Li-Ion ones available at decent price, i was thinking of makeing own battery-pack.

For example this one is sized: 43x14,5x30 (mm) 3.6V 600mAh NiMH. Would it fit?

42218.jpg

May 27, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondView
I'll try and find out the charging spec or at least something about the devices they're used in. I'll report back if I find anything useful. Notice that the Li batts are sometimes listed as 3.6 & 3.8 Volt, whereas the lead-acids are 4 Volt. This may have no relevence to the actual voltage but
rolleyes.gif

I have used an Empire BLI-215 3,6V/Li-ion 600mAh battery in my Sony D-Z555 for a while. What happened was: The charge meter showed nothing when I first started charging. This was because the charge had to build from zero volt when the Li-ion is new. When the charge takes up, the meters came in . It works fine, but don't fill the meters at full charge. No problem, togeher with my NH-14WM filled BP-100, it playes for longer time then I need !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back