AH! No more BP2EX at Sony!
Oct 19, 2003 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
I went go order two BP2EX's today, and damned if the Sony DAPC didn't have anymore!

So, does anybody know where I can get my hands on an OEM battery?

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 25
Hmm... me too - I want / need five of the things
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 25
You would think that a similar size Lithium battery would exist. I tried to replace a BP-5 at Rat-Shack and they couldn't help. You could always hook up an external battery pack to the DC connector if you really want to take your old discman for a walk.

Oct 20, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 25
Hrmm, thanks for the two battery distributors Duncan/Pete.

What I was thinking, would it be possible to fashion a normal 9v into the battery compartment by creating a simple conversion pcb or cable. I think it's feasible. Anybody else think so?

Oct 20, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 25
Does any one know if the old 9V charging circuits are OK for these newer Li batteries ? Hmm, looking at the d88, maybe there is no circuit...
DV.

Oct 20, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
Hrmm, thanks for the two battery distributors Duncan/Pete.

What I was thinking, would it be possible to fashion a normal 9v into the battery compartment by creating a simple conversion pcb or cable. I think it's feasible. Anybody else think so?

I don't think it is deep enough. (9v too fat)

External bat pack not gonna work for you tbdoah?

I'm still considering other solutions as well. (I have a batt pack I made. thread here . Still haven't sanded it down, and clear coated yet, though.)

Oct 20, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 25
Guys,

I thought that the BP-2EX is a lead-acid battery. According to the mentioned website, that is li-ion battery. Are u sure whether the li-ion is the right kind of battery. If "yes" this is very nice, b/c li-ion is free from memory effect and can be recharged during while operating.

Oct 20, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 25
Purk...

Its a part for part replacement for a camcorder (can't remember the model # now)... so i'm not 110% sure if there were two versions of the BP2... lead acid, and lithium, but I can't see it some how...

I'm another person interested in what effect charging a li-on battery in a lead acid charger will have

Oct 20, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 25
I must have gotten one of the last ones....

Maybe it all works out, but recharging circuits are designed for the particular battery type, NiCd, NiMH, Lithium-Ion, Lead Acid, etc. which have their own recharging characteristics.

It is not recommended to mix types and chargers.

Paul

Oct 20, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 25
Yup, I tried to fit a 9v into the pack, not gonna fit.

AFAIK, th BP-2EX shipped with PCDP's are lead-acid, as the 14 year old one from my D555 is lead acid (too bad it doesn't hold a charge), as well as the one I ordered from the DAPC in January of '03.

Anyway, I guess the only route will be trying to land a lead-acid, which, most of those battery replacement "superstores" only carry the Li-Ion.

Oct 21, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Anyway, I guess the only route will be trying to land a lead-acid, which, most of those battery replacement "superstores" only carry the Li-Ion. [/B]

Well, if the Lithium is the right size and voltage I'd still keep it on the list. All you need to worry about is charging it ; a matter of getting the spec sheet for the optimal V and mA. Who knows, maybe 4.5, 6 or 9V @ 300 mA is OK
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

would it be possible to fashion a normal 9v into the battery compartment by creating a simple conversion pcb or cable. I think it's feasible. Anybody else think so?

I would definitely recommend against this for the older CD players. My D-2, for example, draws 200mA while playing...an alkaline 9V battery is only good for a 40-60mA draw. More than that and you get into nonlinear voltage drops and lots of heat. Besides, it would only last a couple of hours at best. Rechargeable 9Vs can take more current draw but they have even less capacity, maybe an hour's worth of play time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back