Ah... I have some questions for my plan.
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus
I almost finished my Beta22 amp, and after a while I will continue to build other stuffs looking interesting.

If I succeed on Beta22 amp, the next project would be a DAC and then possibly a tube amp. So here are the questions:

1) Which DIY DAC would be suit for beta22? I prefer usb DAC and hopefully do as good as my current DAC (TC-7510) or better.

2) Once I tried to make a SOHA amp, -I am not sure- but it seemed very complex compared to a solid-state amp. Are there any major differences between SS and tube other than the fact tube amps use tubs? Do I need any special skills for building tube amps?

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 15
the soha has only a fraction of the parts of a discrete SS amp. the few transistors and resistors that are there are fairly immune to issues of part matching.

count all of the components on a b22, and compare. compare part matching...

anyways, the opus dacs have gained quite a bit of acclaim.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 15
The SOHA should be much easier to build than the B22. What did you find complex about it?

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Well, I just found a tube is just way different from a transistor.

Well then, for my skills (I built PPA a long time ago, and am currently finishing beta22), which tube amp would be good for try?

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 15
SOHA or Millet hybrid would be a good starting point. Introduction to tubes without the human-frying voltages of an all-tube amp.

Edit: Alien DAC is good and cheap USB DAC.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just found a tube is just way different from a transistor.

the triode came first
wink.gif
and they are really not that far apart when you look at a single device.
Quote:

Well then, for my skills (I built PPA a long time ago, and am currently finishing beta22), which tube amp would be good for try?

soha, millett hybrid, millett max. if you dont want to deal with higher voltages.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 15
Hmmm ok. I still have time for a tube amp, so.....

Are Alien/OPUS DAC better than my TC-7510? I really do not need another DAC with similar performance with the dac I've already own.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 15
lol weon they recommended the DAC I'm supposed to be building (Alien). I ruined my circuit board and am not going to try again until after finals. I don't think an Alien would be better than your TC-7510, but then again I haven't heard an alien yet because I ruined mine lol.

May 2, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 15
My beta22 is completed and it sounds great.

I looked up all the available resources and sites I know of, and I just cannot find the decent DIY DAC which definitely outperforms my TC-7510.

After a while, I will probably try SOHA first.

May 3, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Fear no tube!

I would suggest the Starving Student Millett. Seriously. A simple point-to-point design that looks like a straightforward build. It's on this DIY board now. Take a look. Not much to argue with when the parts cost are about $35 (nimus the case). My parts will be on order for it next week!

DACs. The trouble with DIY DACs is that you often need to solder in the some kind of processing chip. Depending on your skill, this can be exhilarating or frustrating. Many people have done it, so it's not impossible.

But what's more important is system synergy. I highly suggest building lots of gear. Why? Well, you never know what will work best with the rest of your system, and also what will work best with your ears. The real problem with DIY is that it's pretty difficult to listen to stuff before you build it, so you end up taking reviews from others. If you build a few different designs or ideas you just might hit the one that sounds best to YOU.

Yeah, it's a journey. Enjoy.

May 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 15
I have both TC-7510 ( modded mkV ) and Opus ............

The Opus (depending on configuration) is in a different league IMO ........
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 15
Hmmmm, I should go for Opus first then.
wink.gif
I am used to solder those tiny chips (including surface mount.) So no problem really.

What are the main differences between Starving Student Millett and Maxed version? I am not really caring about how much parts cost.

The Bijou amp seems a pure tube amp, which probably involves with high voltage. Well, I think I will probably end up making it anyway....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back