AH-D5000's or AH-D7000's - Advice Please?
Apr 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for some help from you guys........

I have AH-D2000's at present and absolutely love them to bits, they seem to suit my favourite music genre to a tee (Downtempo / Psydub / Electronica etc...) As always I'm looking for the Holy Grail I guess and wondered about upgrading within the Denon family as I like the 2000's so much. I can afford the 5000's without too much hardship and given a little time could possibly stretch to the 7000's.

So I'm after opinions really. Should I go for the 5000's or is it worth holding out for the 7000's. Given that my source is Lossless tunes via a Graham Slee Solo would the 7000's be overkill? Thanks in advance.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 41
i would go for the D7000...

i might elaborate later
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 41
Might not be the response you're looking for, but i'd consider keeping the D2000s, and having them modded by Lawton Audio - get yourself wood cups, markl mod, recable. I think thats what headphone addict has, and its supposedly a step up from the D5000

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 41
I have the same dilemma myself. The D2000 + mod + recable + woody route is far more cost-efficient though.

I'm recabling mine with Kimber 4TC which should be finished tomorrow and I guess whether that will yield positive result or not will determine my decision in this matter.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 41
I would consider the mods you speak of, especially if it's more cost effective. However, I haven't a clue where to start.

No idea what a Markl Mod is or where to get woodies from. The recable I could do myself once I know what cable yealds the best results (maybe K3cT could post again once the Kimber 4TC is sorted)....

Thanks for your input so far, more opinions please......

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might not be the response you're looking for, but i'd consider keeping the D2000s, and having them modded by Lawton Audio - get yourself wood cups, markl mod, recable. I think thats what headphone addict has, and its supposedly a step up from the D5000

I went the same route of modding my D2k's and according to Mark @ Lawton Audio should sound better than stock D7k's. I couldn't be happier with my decision and the sound is amazing... Lawton Audio is a great place to start for researching your Denon mods.

D2k.jpg

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 41
I wasn`t really expecting much test-driving the 5000`s and then ordering the 7000`s, but I have to say there is substantial difference in the way the 7000`s feel way more controlled bass-wise and just delivers a greater soundstage. And I`m a Norwegian buyer. I mean, the 7000`s are $1500 here, while the 5000`s run about $1000.

I`m just finding fantastic amounts of joy in the way the 7000`s deliver music to me. It feels as close as I`ve ever been to being on a concert, feeling the bass from the organic instruments and the greatness of the soundstage. I`m very happy, to say the least. Oh, and this is after no more than 24ish hours of burn-in. Wonder what will happen at 100+.

If you can, audit both the 5000`s and 7000`s at home on your own rig, to get a feel for the differences.

On the modded 2000`s I don`t have much to add, really. Could be trying them is the way to go. Modding, sending them to Norway, having to argue with customs, the headache of having to send them back for, if any repairs just made me choose a pair of 7000`s. Also, I have 5 years full warranty and know the dealer very well.

Bottom line, whatever you choose, I think you will be very happy. For me there were never any doubt. The 7000`s both look, sound and feel better than anything else I`ve tried ( 650s, Rs1, Stax system 404.)

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 41
Here you go

There's the official markl mod thread out there, just do a search for it

I'm a cost effective DIY sorta guy, so I'd go this route. Get yourself some dynamat, recable with Neotech upocc wire, and maybe invest in some Lawton Audio cups.

Or just go for the D7000
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 41
I've got some soul searching to do......

My wallet's telling me to go down the mod route but my heart is saying hold out and get the 7k's. I'm gonna have to sell my K701's and PPAv2 to fund them though, £800's a lot of dough to cough up!

Again, thanks guys...

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 41
Yep, I would leave the D5000s out of the equation. Look to play around with what you already have through mods or go with the D7000. I really liked the D5000s but found the bass too boomy and essentially a liability that made me pick and choose which tracks would be more well-suited. I can definitely see a mod for those and perhaps I should have at the time, but I just liked my GS1000s better and sold off the D5000s.

The D7000s on the other hand are more suited to my preferences than any other headphones I have tried and from a technical standpoint I think they are up there with or surpass the biggies that I have owned (GS1000, K1000, L3000, W5000, W11JPN, HD650, HP1000, RS1) or auditioned extensively (Stax OII, DX1000, and quite a few others) Since getting them, I have felt completely comfortable selling off all the rest of my headphones in part because I feel they handle all genres very well and excel at the ones that I listen to most. They will not suit everyone as well as me, but there are lots of extremely pleased owners out there. If you like the stock D2000s so much, I suspect you will really love the D7000s.

I had a pair of recabled MD2000s side-by-side with the D7000s for a few weeks and preferred the D7000s sound signature and felt they had a technical leg up as well. I am sure some will prefer the MD2000s, and the investment of time and energy into a DIY and the money savings will contribute to an extra sense of enjoyment. You could cetainly give the mods a shot and see about the results. If you do it right and do not strip a screw or something, then you will increase their resale value a bit. You might be really happy with the results.

I do have a couple of issues with the mods though. One biggie is the warranty. The D2000s/D5000s have a history with troubles with the little bolts. I think this was addressed in the D7000s. The D7000s have a warranty, all modded versions do not.

Also, in terms of 'face validity', I feel more comfortable with knowing that changes are being made at the driver level rather than by jamming bunch of damping material into the insides of the cups altering the what was designed and tested by the developers. Even beyond that though, the improvement was slight (everything is at this level) but noticeable, and I felt the D7000s were more focused, clearer, and more detailed, and the bass had better decay and bloom and sounded a more natural.

If you are keen on the D7000s, keep an eye out in the FS forum as they do appear and Headroom occasionally has B-stock as well. They have a pair currently for $629.

Regardless, it is great you found headphones that you like so much in the D2000s and yet you still have options for taking that sound signature to a higher level!

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 41
Your genre seems to be very similar to a friend I know and he currently has stepped up from D2000 to D5000. Both of us dislike what the markl-mod does to the sound so personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Do note that the D5000 are more genre-specific than the D7000 simply due to the fact that the D7000 has more control of the bass while still keeping the depth and slam intact. D7000 has a larger more satisfying soundstage, and the music has such texture it's hard to ignore.

So I would say, if you can stretch for the D7000 do so, but for your genres the D5000 won't disappoint as well. I have a friend who used to own the D7000, W1000 and W5000 and now only has the D7000 left. He only considers the HD800 (he tried it in Japan) to be a worthy compliment.

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 41
The last 2 posts have really helped me reach my final decision. I will start looking over next few days for the 7k's.

Thanks for the PM Jerome - Please keep me informed
regular_smile .gif

Thank you all for your vast knowledge and helping me reach my decision, I kind of thought I'd end up with the 7k's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back