AH D2000 and the HD600
Oct 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vyyye

100+ Head-Fier

Hey,

I'm just about to venture to audiophile territory (meaning I'll actually pay for good sound for once) and I'm currently looking at these two headphones. I was initially going for the HD600 but after reading a few comparisons I'm unsure. Unfortunately I couldn't really get a 'definite' answer, I realize there is no definite in that sense but I would like some opinions anyway.

First off, I will use them for pretty much everything that doesn't involve making music. Listening to music, gaming and movies to a lesser degree. My music library is quite varied, mostly classical and metal, though occasionally Marty Robbins will be 'blasting' out of my speakers. Ditto for some dubstep, when the moment allows.
I would describe what sound I wanted if I could, but eh, "a neutral sound with good mids but weak treble" is foreign territory to me and I honestly don't get any clear 'picture' in my head of what that means. Peste Noire/Burzum/Gris/Slayer/Entombed/Judas Priest/Autopsy.. Most extreme metal really. Everything from orchestras to piano sonatas within classical, Mahler's fifth and Vivaldi's Four Seasons are big favourites. Classic rock and nothing else in the rock genre, Skream/The Others/Caspa/Rusko for electronic music.

I'll drive it through an Asus Xonar Essence STX, as my budget doesn't allow for anything fancier currently but if I'm able to upgrade to a sick as all hells amp/dac down the line without changing headphones that would be neat. But having good sound for now is the priority, don't necessarily need to 'future proof' myself if the sound is damn good in the first place.

I did listen to the AH D2000 today in a local music store, through a stereo amplifier (uh, a big thing) with a headphone input which supposedly was a pretty good one. Couldn't really say either way as I never owned a headphone amp. I got to listen to the clerks music library which he said was CD quality, acoustic music sounded fantastic. As did the one metal track he put on by Slayer, very impressive. On the other hand the electronica track sounded pretty awful to my ears, felt like the bass lacked any punch whatsoever while the song was one of those "Listen to the bass" (the lyrics actually being something like that...) songs, godawful song but I can't really pinpoint whether the song had a lousy bass or if it was the headphones. It wasn't.. filling? Even my PortaPro has more of an effect, as for speakers I'm used to the Z5500's ridiculous sub so maybe that's it. Or it wasn't amped properly? I truly don't know.

Either way it surprised me when I read about the AH D2000 having a fantastic bass while the HD600 was lacking comparatively, I'm planning another trip to the store with my own music but I have to say this was quite confusing. Mostly concerns me when it comes to heavier metal tracks, the crushing heaviness of an album like Dopethrone would miss out, or so I imagine.
I also got to try the HD650 in another store, without a proper amp and through Spotify. I guess I got to hear the famous veil through unpowered headphones and godawful MP3's, guessing I can't judge anything on that. What I could tell was that I much preferred the D2000 comfort wise, the 650 was bloody clamped to my head like a headcrab out for blood.

I'm really just looking for input as to what people would recommend and/or additional opinions of any kind. Going to look through other stores in the area but I'm not confident I will find any place where I can try both and compare them side by side.
Excuse the slightly long winded post for a pretty simple question, but any help would be appreciated. And yes, I have googled a bit but as said it didn't give me a very clear picture.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 10
I have D2000 and HD650 and hands down I would keep the 650 between the two, no contest.  I've yet to find anything the 650 doesn't make sound good.  The D2000's recessed mids really sucks the life out of my music.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I have D2000 and HD650 and hands down I would keep the 650 between the two, no contest.  I've yet to find anything the 650 doesn't make sound good.  The D2000's recessed mids really sucks the life out of my music.

Quote:
Okay, so you're looking for a dark/warm sound.

I would say go for the HD650 for dark, but you NEED an amp for it.

I was under the impression that the HD650 was pretty lackluster for rock and metal music? And is there some 'For dummies' guide to these definitions? Not quite sure what a "warm" sound is, I presume 'dark' has more lows?

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
What electronica was it?  I'm interested to hear it for myself on the D2000.  Warm just means emphasis on lows and mids, rolled off highs.  Dark is the extreme of that.

I couldn't say, if the clerk is working next time I pop down I'll ask him though. And I see, that makes sense.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 10
HD 650s for a wide taste in music, they don't fall behind much on any one section. they're very good all rounders imo. if you wanted less warmth and less bass but the same similar qualities that hd 650 has, perhaps hd 600 or dt 880 would be good for you.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
HD 650s for a wide taste in music, they don't fall behind much on any one section. they're very good all rounders imo. if you wanted less warmth and less bass but the same similar qualities that hd 650 has, perhaps hd 600 or dt 880 would be good for you.

I'm just going by what I have read by googling, haven't got a chance to properly try them (unless unamped + low quality MP3s count). Pah, will be travelling soon so ideally I'll find places there where I can try things out, not sure if the "laid back" sound of the HD650 is for me or not for me.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 10
I do not own 650, but I do own D2000 and PortaPro. So I can compare those two. Actually there's no comparison, D2000 does everything better as expected from a can that sells for $200 more. First, Bass goes much deeper on D2000, and so it makes D2000 bass much more realistic. Portapro has a bit of a mid-bass boost, so it can give an impression of more impact, but it also makes the rest of the music super muddy. I can almost guarantee you will not want anymore bass than D2000 can provide, but in case you do, there's always that STX Equalizer. Just boost up 30Hz frequency and you're golden.

Many people state that D2000 are boring because they have recessed mids. There's truth to that. Vocals and guitars sound... less than realistic but still much better than PortaPro. Equalizer will not really help you fix mid frequency issues on D2000, it will only make the music harsher. I noticed that with D2000, I enjoy Rock/Acoustic music a lot less than I did on my Grado made Allessandro MS-1s. The rest of the music that I listen to... like Pop, Techno, Classical etc... sounds much better on D2000, due to good headstage and excellent detail that's superior to both MS1 and PortaPro.

Also keep in mind that D2000 are at least $100 cheaper than HD650. That's part of the reason I still don't own the Hd650. That, and costly amplification issues.

I scored new D2000 on Ebay for $220, and I have to say that it has impressed me with its price/sound ratio. Having said that, I wouldn't pay full retail for them. and I do see myself upgrading to high-end headphone in a year or 2 because I think there's room for improvement.

Jeez Im long winded.... To conclude this rant I will say that I think you will be happy with either can. HD650 is considered to be more "audiophile" grade than D2000, but If you like Comfort and Bass on D2000 and don't find anything wrong with mids.... Go For it.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I do not own 650, but I do own D2000 and PortaPro. So I can compare those two. Actually there's no comparison, D2000 does everything better as expected from a can that sells for $200 more. First, Bass goes much deeper on D2000, and so it makes D2000 bass much more realistic. Portapro has a bit of a mid-bass boost, so it can give an impression of more impact, but it also makes the rest of the music super muddy. I can almost guarantee you will not want anymore bass than D2000 can provide, but in case you do, there's always that STX Equalizer. Just boost up 30Hz frequency and you're golden.
Many people state that D2000 are boring because they have recessed mids. There's truth to that. Vocals and guitars sound... less than realistic but still much better than PortaPro. Equalizer will not really help you fix mid frequency issues on D2000, it will only make the music harsher. I noticed that with D2000, I enjoy Rock/Acoustic music a lot less than I did on my Grado made Allessandro MS-1s. The rest of the music that I listen to... like Pop, Techno, Classical etc... sounds much better on D2000, due to good headstage and excellent detail that's superior to both MS1 and PortaPro.
Also keep in mind that D2000 are at least $100 cheaper than HD650. That's part of the reason I still don't own the Hd650. That, and costly amplification issues.
I scored new D2000 on Ebay for $220, and I have to say that it has impressed me with its price/sound ratio. Having said that, I wouldn't pay full retail for them. and I do see myself upgrading to high-end headphone in a year or 2 because I think there's room for improvement.
Jeez Im long winded.... To conclude this rant I will say that I think you will be happy with either can. HD650 is considered to be more "audiophile" grade than D2000, but If you like Comfort and Bass on D2000 and don't find anything wrong with mids.... Go For it.

Ah thanks for that, very helpful. I suspected there might be something off with the PortaPro, I presume it's the same bass magic that makes audiophiles dislike the Beats while 'normal people' like them. Pretty much only heard stuff with more 'impact' as you call it for years now (PortaPro and Z5500), guess it might be something I'll get used to? Listening to everything where I wasn't expecting the impact was very much pleasant.

I just happened to Amazon the D5000's and after a bit of research it seems they are marginally superior, and they're only about £20 more which is extremely tempting, they are 2x as much locally. Going to go and take a listen to them with my own tracks and make a final decision, will get another chance to hear the bass and see what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back