Agents of society. What are you?
Feb 16, 2008 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

sandino

Head-Fier
Hi head-fi, I've always liked the idea of a group of people loving their music and technology. I've always guessed that most of the people here are musical professionals: musicians, music producers and engineers, etc. I used to not be able to imagine anybody spending thousands of dollars on <gasp> headphones </gasp> if it's not their business/job.

I haven't yet hit the $1000 dollar spent mark. I was going to keep on guessing that everyone here's a music pro but, I realized I wasn't. I haven't even really been part of a real band. I've never written a song. I've never edited music or recorded anything.

Turns out, I'm a budding economist from the Philippines. Well, okay I'm a student, but I think that's what I'm going to be. :p

What and where are you, head-fi?

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 55
I am a budding IT Professional in Kansas City, Missouri
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 55
Actually you'll probably find most people aren't in the audio business.

Funnily enough, for me. Once you start working in the field of your hobby, you start to lose interest.

I think it's happening here. I used to be into computer modding, tweaking and overclocking. I then got a nice job working in IT. Even though it was more to do with medical systems, I very quickly lost interest in computers.

Well... I think it's happening again. As a replacement for computers I got into headphone audio while working in my previous job(s). However I now have a sweet job in headset sales and even though they're for office phone system I've recently start to lose joy that headphone listening used to bring me.

Seems to be a case of when work mixes with play it just doesn't go down well... =(

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi head-fi, I've always liked the idea of a group of people loving their music and technology. I've always guessed that most of the people here are musical professionals: musicians, music producers and engineers, etc. I used to not be able to imagine anybody spending thousands of dollars on <gasp> headphones </gasp> if it's not their business/job.

I haven't yet hit the $1000 dollar spent mark. I was going to keep on guessing that everyone here's a music pro but, I realized I wasn't. I haven't even really been part of a real band. I've never written a song. I've never edited music or recorded anything.

Turns out, I'm a budding economist from the Philippines. Well, okay I'm a student, but I think that's what I'm going to be. :p

What and where are you, head-fi?

Hmm...I don't really define myself by my occupation, but that may be partly because I've done a bunch of different things. Although I love music and play a few stringed instruments, I do it primarily for me, and certainly not in any professional capacity. I am formally trained in microbiology, molecular genetics, finance and investment analysis, and am currently employed in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industries.

I'm going to guess that most of the people on here are *not* music professionals. It's been my experience with things like photography, audio and other hobbies that can run into serious money, that the professionals aren't nearly as involved as the "advanced amateurs", for lack of a better term (and I don't mean that in any kind of negative way).

But it will be interesting to see what other responses this thread generates.

Kind regards,
Brian

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 55
I'm a software developer.

Like d-cee, since I've started work I don't really muck around with computers any more. Well, other than a few (read 'lot') flirtations with linux on my old desktop.

Nothing like that with my laptop now though, although I'm tempted to get Dosbox up and running again, install Need for Speed SE and pull my original Logitech FF wheel out the cupboard!

I still seem to fix all my friends' computers though ... haha.

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you'll probably find most people aren't in the audio business.

Funnily enough, for me. Once you start working in the field of your hobby, you start to lose interest.

I think it's happening here. I used to be into computer modding, tweaking and overclocking. I then got a nice job working in IT. Even though it was more to do with medical systems, I very quickly lost interest in computers.

Well... I think it's happening again. As a replacement for computers I got into headphone audio while working in my previous job(s). However I now have a sweet job in headset sales and even though they're for office phone system I've recently start to lose joy that headphone listening used to bring me.

Seems to be a case of when work mixes with play it just doesn't go down well... =(

Your last sentence reminds me of something I was told long ago. Figure out your favorite thing to do. Then figure out your 2nd-favorite thing to do. Find a way to do that 2nd favorite thing in your career, and this way you leave your very favorite thing untainted by issues of work, pay, career advancement, etc. You can continue to enjoy it purely for the pleasure it brings you.

Not always possible for people to do, but good advice nonetheless, IMO.

Kind regards,
Brian

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a software developer.

Like d-cee, since I've started work I don't really muck around with computers any more. Well, other than a few (read 'lot') flirtations with linux on my old desktop.

Nothing like that with my laptop now though, although I'm tempted to get Dosbox up and running again, install Need for Speed SE and pull my original Logitech FF wheel out the cupboard!

I still seem to fix all my friends' computers though ... haha.

it's funny you know, i still fix all of my friends' computers too!

funnily enough, these days Apple computers are becoming more and more appealing. years ago that would have been sacrilege - now it might even be my next purchase...

i am however still into pricy mousepads, mouses and keyboards though but only because they make computer use that much better when i do have to use one

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your last sentence reminds me of something I was told long ago. Figure out your favorite thing to do. Then figure out your 2nd-favorite thing to do. Find a way to do that 2nd favorite thing in your career, and this way you leave your very favorite thing untainted by issues of work, pay, career advancement, etc. You can continue to enjoy it purely for the pleasure it brings you.

Not always possible for people to do, but good advice nonetheless, IMO.

Kind regards,
Brian

that's great - thanks for that. funnily enough food, photography, writing and photographing and writing about food probably sits above and has always been above my other hobbies.

just you watch, now that i say that i'll get offered a job as a restaurant reviewer!

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 55
Im a student. Going to work in commercial property someday hopefully.

I do a little sound work for my union. Sound for bands etc, but not very often mainly due to the amount of work i have on.

I wouldn't want music to be my work, it prodives me with the escape i need to get away from everything, and its the only thing that helps sometimes. Couldnt imagine trying to make it my living.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 55
I'm an ex-Medical Technologist, and in the old days, I used to have an audio rig in the lab. Now, I work with documents, and music/headphones are cause for termination.
frown.gif
On the side, I'm an Audio Scrounger, buying and selling media and gear - its fun + a few bucks.
tongue.gif

Laz

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 55
I'm a school counselor who used to be a high school band director & at one time a middle school choir director. So headphones kind of fill the music spot that my job doesn't fill anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back