Age Inappropriate Music / Mid Life Crisis??
Jun 13, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #31 of 43
i know... he's not that attractive at all IMO... i can understand Brad Pitt or Mel Gibson, or RIcky Martin, they all hot... but timberlake ?? you should see him while he was with NSync... looks like a dork...

its so weird....

Jun 13, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #32 of 43
Well, my wife is 27, 10 years younger than I am so she keeps me up-to-date. I've always listened to new and old music, though and refuse to mature in that way...
icon10.gif

It always amused me when I was a kid to think of what my generation would listen to when they were pensioned....
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #33 of 43
I'm 17 going on 18, and I have been listening to oldies/classic rock for so long, my friends think I am dumb.

We just got a new radiostation here that plays nothing but sweet tracks from the golden years. Peter Frampton, Elton John, David Bowie, Zep, Floyd.
All the tracks that commercial radio stations wouldn't play because they are too obscure. So at work, people look at me funny when they ask "What the [random Curse word] are we listening to" and I say "Have a cigar by Pink Floyd, from the "Wish you were here" album".

Well I don't actually quote the album title, that just be showing off
wink.gif

Just goes to show that music, in it's finest knows no boundries.

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #35 of 43
I've discovered recently that you can grow out of music, however. When I was 20 to 23 I was a total Clash fan. I loved that band. But having not listened to them for about 20 years, I went back to them a couple weeks ago and went through "Combat Rock" "Sandinista" "The Clash" and "Longdon Calling". From a 20 year persepective, I'm sad to say that The Clash sound very "pop" to me now. Very simplistic. I was pretty bored listening to them. It's a shame since I really used to love them. I guess these days I need Nick Cave and Trent Reznor. Maybe I'm more cynical?

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #36 of 43
To resurrect a thread...

I recently started listening to nu-metal/alternative metal (I'll be 41 in August). Most of what they say about untalented and derivative bands is absolutely true
smily_headphones1.gif
... there are a few decent groups out there though, and the stuff can be fun from a listener standpoint, even if it's not much in the way of musicianship. My two favorite (semi)talented groups at the moment are Chevelle and Disturbed.

Note -- this ain't stuff one would go looking for high-end headphones or other gear to listen to. Koss Portapro is about where it's at.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #37 of 43
elrod-tom,

I actually just recently read an article about the music buyers. The approximately 30 to 40 (45?) year old consumers tend to be very flexible with regard to their taste in music.

On the other hand, as I'm personally approaching 40, I get this strange feeling I should rediscover some youthful music before they take me to the rocking chair at an institute.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #38 of 43
I say whatever floats your boat! One of the good things about being old is that you don't have to care about being cool any more. I've got everything in my collection from Classical to Punk, including a couple of chick bands and yes, even a couple Kid Rock albums. Just play whatever you're in the mood for and let the world know you don't care what they think. Who knows, not caring might wind up making you look cool after all.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #39 of 43
Hey I'm pushing 50.Along with my usual jazz and blues and classic rock stuff that someone my age is supposed to like,I also like and listen to 3 doors down,rage against the machine and I got my 13 year old son to burn me a copy of his American Idiot CD by Greenday.What ever you like,you like you.You don't have to justify it to anybody.

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #41 of 43
I hope I'm not "mid-life" quite yet, but the past few years I've been enjoying quite a few bands that are more popular with a somewhat younger crowd:

Get up Kids
Jets to Brazil
Jimmy Eat World
Saves the Day
The Promise Ring

what can I say, these cats write catchy tunes, though I'm not always down with the lyrics, most of them I can relate to in a somewhat nostalgic kind of way..

-jar

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #43 of 43
I'm 45 years old, and since 1969 when Led Zeppelin first came out, my listening has progressed down the extreme metal track.

Right now and for the foreseeable future, my favorite band is Opeth. I listen mostly to metal: Grip Inc, Meshuggah, Nevermore, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, The Tea Party (not metal, but great rock from Canada) to name only a few.

Age has nothing to do with what you listen to. I drag MY kids to metal concerts because no one else will go with me. My wife figures I will always be a metalhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back