Age Inappropriate Music / Mid Life Crisis??
Jun 11, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
OK...tell me what y'all think about THIS:

Here's the problem: I'm old enough to have been around to kick off my audiophile run prior to the advent of the CD. I feel a bit silly listening to this stuff. I mean, shouldn't I be listening to Diana Krall or something.

Obviously this line has caused you to be deleted from my just-in-time written will! now go away you insensitive clod!
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I don't see a problem with your musical habits, I guess it goes to show you have a very open mind which IMO is a great thing.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 43
To whom it may concern -

If you feel embrassed, or guility, about the type of music that you listen to, or feel you need to justify your musicial tastes. . . . .Perhaps you should be embrassed. . . . . It is really just your gut instinct telling you that what you are attempting to justify is in reality "crap".

- augustwest

(this comment is not pointed towards any particular person, or style of music, just food for thought)

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 43
well, personally i don't think one should be too concerned with the intended age group of whatever music you're listening to. after all, how old area the guys that produce the teenage stuff?--probably same age as you, with a few exceptions. so, if you're 50+ and you like to listen to trance, heck go for it....

BUT......... kid rock!?--come on man.
biggrin.gif
you better shoot yourself before you get yourself a britney spears cd.

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

I mean, shouldn't I be listening to Diana Krall or something.

(repulses in disgust)

God no. I never understood why older folks automatically think they need to listen to music that fits their age bracket (meaning artists that are your age)...why should it be like that?

Listen to whatever makes you happy.

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 43
Your wife should be happy, It's not you're listening to that "same old" Jefferson Airplane recording for the 3000th time. Or "that same" Grateful Dead concert tape for the 2 trillionth time......
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 43
well, i doubt (but could be wrong) that there is a rap group extant who will be selling like hotcakes 30 years after disbanding, and half are dead.

if you plot the (d)evolution of music from bach to the present, there is decidedly less there there (extra points for knowing who said it, and where there is).

muricah has gone to hell, and it's all the oil companies' fault.

Jun 13, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
kid rock!?--come on man.
biggrin.gif
you better shoot yourself before you get yourself a britney spears cd.

I'm not a fan of Britney's music...I don't mind her videos, however.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #26 of 43
Hey, I still listen to a lot of older metal and rock. For crying out loud, I own THREE Kiss albums.

I guess the thing that makes me feel so silly about this particular music is the whole hip-hop thing. Everything is b****es this and hoes that. I mean, I'd yell at my kids if they listened to this stuff.

Still, I like this stuff. Maybe it's just a change of pace, maybe it's the Detroit connection. Dunno...

Oh well...I guess I'll have to take the abuse for now.

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

SIGH...my wife doesn't understand me.

I'm 38 years of age and listen, most of the time, to remastered 1950s/1960s jazz. My female friend doesn't understand me either. She believes I should be listening to The Police, The Cars, The Eagles, Tom Petty, Fleewood Mac, and the like.

You can't win.
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #30 of 43
i had the TV on one night, on MTV. and then all of a sudden, my gf at the time says, "What is that NOISE!?" ha ha... it was Timberlake doing one of his high notes. funny thing is, she's a real FOB, and does not know any American singers. and not only that, she was completely serious--she really didn't know it was someone "singing!" yup, that's Timberlake for you--one of the sorriest "singers" i have ever heard. truly horrendously terrible singer. i have no idea what the chicks see in him--he doesn't seem all that good looking either. really strange.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back