Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #391 of 515
Interesting, How do you combine and average if I may ask?
I overlay several frequency response graphs in a graphics program. Each graph was normalized relative to my preferred tuning target. Here is an example:

NbVqyv0.jpg

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #392 of 515
New Performer 8 owner here. 4.4 mm balanced cable. They landed today.

Firstly, these are the first pair of iem’s that I have ever owned or used. On opening the box, my first impression was how small the ear pieces looked. However, they look like sparkling jewels. I have to say that they are absolutely beautiful in my opinion and the workmanship is first class.

They already have a pair of blue/red tips fitted (not sure what size these are) and there are additional blue/red tips in a small plastic bag enclosed together with the standard tips in the box.

On inserting them into my ears, they fit okay as far as I’m aware. I would say I have small/medium sized ears and the face plates are almost flush with my outer ears. I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to push them in but I’m winging it here a little.

I’m driving them with a Shanling M6 Ultra (approx 30 hours playing on the DAP so far)

Have been listening now for approximately 2 hours straight out of the box.

Volume around 16-22 so far on Low gain setting. Sounds loud enough, I obviously don’t want to damage my ears. :L3000:

First sound impressions on a few albums and tracks I know well:

Led Zeppelin II 96kHz 24Bit - Vocals are great, very accurate imo. Drums are mostly okay, guitars are fantastic. Sometimes a passage can sound congested but it could be the mastering/recording. However on some tracks the drums and hi hats sound excellent, stereo image is great. Cymbals really good. I’m enjoying the album as a whole. Nice tone/timbre to the drum skins too. (Hope my expressions are correct here)

Chet Baker Quartet, No Problem 44.1 kHz 16Bit - wonderful sound to all instruments and very accurate sounding imo. Great tone to the instruments. Chet really sounding great here. I can hear straight away the P8 will excel with Jazz.

Richard Tunnicliffe, Bach Cello Suites 192 kHz 24Bit - Stunning straight out of the gate! The bow moving across the strings is wonderful. Real bass in the cello and excellent reverb coming across. Very accurate cello imo. Can’t wait to listen to the whole album now.

Diana Krall, Turn Up The Quiet 44.1 kHz 16Bit - vocals immediately good as are all the instruments been played. Excellent double bass, guitar and piano. I’d say good weight to the notes here. Her delicacy in the vocal here is really impressive. Note decay also great imo.

So to sum up, my ears don’t hurt yet and the music sounds good so far. So maybe I have them inserted correctly. Looking forward to many hours/days listening to this rig and listening to the genres/artists I like. Mostly Classical, Acoustic, Rock, Jazz and Pop.

I assume the Performer 8 needs many hours of burn in so I’m not experiencing how it will eventually sound yet. However, I already don’t want to stop listening. :)

I’ll report back in a week or so to see if I made the right decision with my first IEM. :thinking:

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #393 of 515
On inserting them into my ears, they fit okay as far as I’m aware. I would say I have small/medium sized ears and the face plates are almost flush with my outer ears. I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to push them in but I’m winging it here a little.

So to sum up, my ears don’t hurt yet and the music sounds good so far. So maybe I have them inserted correctly. Looking forward to many hours/days listening to this rig and listening to the genres/artists I like. Mostly Classical, Acoustic, Rock, Jazz and Pop.
So glad to here you are happy with them. They are the best iems I have. To answer your questions...

In terms of fit, I think they only need to go in as far as you feel you've got a good seal (and sound isolation). You might want to just experiment a little with the other tips to see if they give a better and more comfy seal. Personally, if you have a good seal already and they are flush, then job done!

As for burn in. I've used mine for well over 100 hours and I don't sense that they have changed that much. Possibly the bass has settled in a little, but I think the BA's are more or less the same as I first put them on.

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #394 of 515
So glad to here you are happy with them. They are the best iems I have. To answer your questions...

In terms of fit, I think they only need to go in as far as you feel you've got a good seal (and sound isolation). You might want to just experiment a little with the other tips to see if they give a better and more comfy seal. Personally, if you have a good seal already and they are flush, then job done!

As for burn in. I've used mine for well over 100 hours and I don't sense that they have changed that much. Possibly the bass has settled in a little, but I think the BA's are more or less the same as I first put them on.
Hi, many thanks for your feedback.
I have to say I listened to the whole Diana Krall album I mentioned earlier and it was a very pleasant experience. Very clear and accurate rendition of this album and the musicians as a whole. I’m impressed with the timbre, vocals and note decay so far.

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #395 of 515

Yea, I’ve had mine since launch and have used them for well over 100 hours as well and haven’t noticed any changes. They are great!

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #396 of 515

When people mention “good seal”, and “sound isolation”, how good should this be?

I can hear the tv vocals whilst I’m lying down not to far from the tv. When playing music I can’t tell what they are saying but can hear the tv. Is this correct?

The face plates are about flush with my ear, if I apply slight pressure whilst wearing them, they will seal better. I can hear more base and the sound is warmer. However when I remove my fingers and stop applying pressure the seal is not as good.

Should I go larger or smaller with a tip?

I appreciate this is difficult to answer and very individualistic.

Many thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #397 of 515
When people mention “good seal”, and “sound isolation”, how good should this be?

I can hear the tv vocals whilst I’m lying down not to far from the tv. When playing music I can’t tell what they are saying but can hear the tv. Is this correct?

The face plates are about flush with my ear, if I apply slight pressure whilst wearing them, they will seal better. I can hear more base and the sound is warmer. However when I remove my fingers and stop applying pressure the seal is not as good.

Should I go larger or smaller with a tip?

I appreciate this is difficult to answer and very individualistic.

Many thanks in advance.
Normally, wit no music playing, I can hear a small amount of noise around me, When it's playing, nothing. I'd probably try the next size up and see if it blocks the outside better,

Like you say, it's a personal issue as ears are different. I have pretty large ears and had to use another brand with an even larger size.

For the record, I don't play music loud either. For example, on my iPhone I'm normally playing at about 20-25%.

Hope some of this helps.

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #398 of 515
Normally, wit no music playing, I can hear a small amount of noise around me, When it's playing, nothing. I'd probably try the next size up and see if it blocks the outside better,

Like you say, it's a personal issue as ears are different. I have pretty large ears and had to use another brand with an even larger size.

For the record, I don't play music loud either. For example, on my iPhone I'm normally playing at about 20-25%.

Hope some of this helps.
It’s very helpful. Thanks.
I’ve actually swapped what was fitted for a larger set that was included. I think it’s better already. Definitely more of a seal.
More testing from my side but think I’m getting there :)
Going to listen to Led Zep I later :xf_cool:

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #399 of 515

Hope some of this helps.

The P8’s with the right seal do block a good deal of outside noise. Not quite Etymotic level, but not bad at all.

I listen to my P8’s with my 15Pro Max and Apple Type-C dongle at 6-18%, which is the first to third notch on the volume control. They are very easy to drive.

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #400 of 515
The P8’s with the right seal do block a good deal of outside noise. Not quite Etymotic level, but not bad at all.

I listen to my P8’s with my 15Pro Max and Apple Type-C dongle at 6-18%, which is the first to third notch on the volume control. They are very easy to drive.
Thanks for the info.
Regards driving the P8, I agree with your experience. I’m using volume level 14-20 so far with my M6U. Plenty loud enough. Lots of nice details and body coming through.
I think M6U max goes to 100!?
I’m looking forward to spending some time with the P8. :)

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #402 of 515
P8 is a treasure. It gives me such good feels. It's not perfect, but I love it so much.
To me, they are perfect. They are the best IEM I’ve heard and I can’t imagine wanting them to sound any different in any way.

But they are also the most expensive IEM I’ve heard, and there are more expensive ones out there, and I’m sure some of them do sound “better”.

But I’m completely happy with them and won’t be upgrading anytime soon.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #403 of 515
SRV & Double Trouble Texas Flood sounds mighty fine on the P8 tonight. :guitar:

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #404 of 515
Some more EQ sharing for feedback/criticism....

Was again fiddling on the squig site. Does doing something like this doing more good or bad? I auto EQ'd against the target from 200db-5800db. Stopped short of that rise to 6k, not sure if I should be trying to EQ that high... It spit out some numbers which I tweaked a tiny bit then added a shelf to. Definitely pushes voices and some instruments back a little versus stock tuning or my other EQ I shared, but also seems a bit bright to me at a first listen. I need to stay off these sites, end up spending more time playing with numbers than listening to music.

And another with the 6-7k peak reduced and the brightness I hear comes down a touch:
IMHO, I don’t see the point of forcing a QDC-targeted IEM to a diffused field target. You are changing the entire sound signature of a decently tuned IEM.

One fun way to EQ to me is getting a simple 10 band graphical EQ and a frequency range chart and start experimenting. It’s a good aural training exercise as well.

It seems that the single BA IEM of Aful would be released before the flagship. They name the single BA “magic one”. The graph looks promising with surprisingly good extension to both ends.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #405 of 515
IMHO, I don’t see the point of forcing a QDC-targeted IEM to a diffused field target. You are changing the entire sound signature of a decently tuned IEM.

One fun way to EQ to me is getting a simple 10 band graphical EQ and a frequency range chart and start experimenting. It’s a good aural training exercise as well.

It seems that the single BA IEM of Aful would be released before the flagship. They name the single BA “magic one”. The graph looks promising with surprisingly good extension to both ends.
Yea I have already deleted the EQ I saved based on my fiddling that day and have been back to just enjoying the P8 stock, or adding a 1 or 2 db low shelf around 175 or 200hz, but no other adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back