Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #376 of 515
Maybe Harman folks are not wrong. That sorts of tonality does have broad appeal.
While their research has its merits despite the methodology caveats, it is important to note that the average person using the squig site to do any sort of EQ has already been exposed to Harman propaganda (dashed gray line means thin shouty IEM good).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #377 of 515
While their research has its merits despite the methodology caveats, it is important to note that the average person using the squig site to do any sort of EQ has already been exposed to Harman propaganda (dashed gray line means thin shouty IEM good).
When I dabbled in DIY, I used to get my colleagues (who couldn't careless about audio) to try my stuffs. Harman-like or Moondrop's VDSF tonality usually win. My stuffs tuned with less ear-gain and more lower mid usually does not do well in these listening tests, with listeners complaining about "muffle" and "lacking details".

Of course, my (lack of) skill is also an important aspect here :dt880smile:

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #378 of 515
When I dabbled in DIY, I used to get my colleagues (who couldn't careless about audio) to try my stuffs. Harman-like or Moondrop's VDSF tonality usually win. My stuffs tuned with less ear-gain and more lower mid usually does not do well in these listening tests, with listeners complaining about "muffle" and "lacking details".

Of course, my (lack of) skill is also an important aspect here :dt880smile:
YMMV. I made more than a dozen friends of mine try my earphone collection (see signature although I didn’t have IER series at the time) and pretty much everyone chose the XBA-N3 as the best sounding one. Above stuff like Variations which is probably the best Harman implementation out there.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #379 of 515
Hello,

Can you recommend some hybrid (silicone with foam filling) tips with wide bore for Performer 5?
I really like the sound with Spinfit CP360 or CP145. However, I would like to improve the external noise isolation a bit (city walks, commuting etc.).
I have the Final hybrid Tips, but they do not sound well with Aful.

Eventually, are there similar IEM which provide a better isolation?

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #380 of 515
With the mentions of Harman, assuming it's in relation to my EQ settings I shared, is there a particular change I indicated that makes one say "this is a Harman exposed user"? And that is true for me, until getting the P8, everything I owned was/is surely heavily Harman influenced (various galaxy buds, Bose and Sony ANC products, Sennheiser momentum 3, moondrop Kato).

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #381 of 515
Hello. Long time lurker and P8 owner, first time poster.

Just for general sharing, I bounce back and forth between no EQ, a simple low shelf, and a simple EQ with a low shelf and a few filters.

When I set a low shelf, it's usually between 1db to 2db, anywhere from 150hz to 250hz. Typically the higher DB I go, the lower frequency I set the shelf around so not to inadvertently add any mud or bloat. So if I set a 2db shelf, I set it around 150hz. If I just do 1db, then I set around 200-250hz. Always a q value of 0.71.

The other EQ I came up with, with the help of squiglink, is as follows:
LSQ @ 150hz: 0-2db, q=.71 (adjust to taste)
PK @ 350hz: 1.5db, q=1
PK @ 800hz: -1.5db, q=1.5
PK @ 2900hz: 2db, q=3 or 4
Thanks! I'll play around with these settings.

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #383 of 515
I must still be in my honeymoon period, as I have absolutely no wish to tinker with its wonderful sound :ksc75smile:
Honeymoon is over for me and I still think they are perfect with no EQ.

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #385 of 515
We must like the same type of tuning as I see we both have the Senn MTW3 too :beerchug:
Well, the MTW3 can be made to sound however you’d want with the apps EQ and sound personalization, but I do tune it somewhat close to the P8. Idk how close they would actually measure with the way I have them EQ’ed, but it sounds close enough and I enjoy them.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #386 of 515
Some more EQ sharing for feedback/criticism....

Was again fiddling on the squig site. Does doing something like this doing more good or bad? I auto EQ'd against the target from 200db-5800db. Stopped short of that rise to 6k, not sure if I should be trying to EQ that high... It spit out some numbers which I tweaked a tiny bit then added a shelf to. Definitely pushes voices and some instruments back a little versus stock tuning or my other EQ I shared, but also seems a bit bright to me at a first listen. I need to stay off these sites, end up spending more time playing with numbers than listening to music.
1697821697740.png

And another with the 6-7k peak reduced and the brightness I hear comes down a touch:
1697821735080.png

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #387 of 515

I need to stay off these sites, end up spending more time playing with numbers than listening to music.

This entire hobby is supposed to be about listening to music.

I’ve come to the point where I just plug my Aful P8, or Focal Elear with Clear pads either into an Apple dongle or my M1 MacBook Air headphone jack. I don’t worry about amps or DACs or EQ anymore. I just plug in and enjoy. Simple.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #388 of 515

Was again fiddling on the squig site. Does doing something like this doing more good or bad? I auto EQ'd against the target from 200db-5800db. Stopped short of that rise to 6k, not sure if I should be trying to EQ that high... It spit out some numbers which I tweaked a tiny bit then added a shelf to. Definitely pushes voices and some instruments back a little versus stock tuning or my other EQ I shared, but also seems a bit bright to me at a first listen. I need to stay off these sites, end up spending more time playing with numbers than listening to music.
1697821697740.png

And another with the 6-7k peak reduced and the brightness I hear comes down a touch:
1697821735080.png
I prefer to average several squiglink graphs for a given IEM relative to my preferred and normalized target frequency response. I load the averaged graphs into the Peace GUI and then I perform my own parametric EQ for areas which I want to tweak. I don't use the delta 10 dB target since it always requires adding a strong bass shelf.

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #389 of 515
I prefer to average several squiglink graphs for a given IEM relative to my preferred and normalized target frequency response. I load the averaged graphs into the Peace GUI and then I perform my own parametric EQ for areas which I want to tweak. I don't use the delta 10 dB target since it always requires adding a strong bass shelf.
Interesting, How do you combine and average if I may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back