Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #331 of 515
@lowrider007
There is even a small but noticle change in sound, depending on how I connect them: The DUNU Hulk cable has interchangeable connectors. There is a difference between using the 3.5 straight into the Mojo or going 4.4 + ddHifi Nyx adapter...
I believe the adapter is adding some resistance; though way less that that ifi iem match+ adapter thingy (sound muffled, never liked it).

Luckily I hear no hiss on my Mojo 2.
Do you feed it directly from a PC?
Did you try another cable? Seems like Mojo 2 doens't like some USB cables to the point where it will just shoot some white noise at you if there is some hick-up in the electronics of the USB C plug...
I mainly use the Mojo via Coax.
Strange, it's definitely there, but very faint, I use mobile at the most plugged into my android phone, o0genesis0o a few posts above stated that he/she can also hear a slight hiss using Mojo 2.

I have just tested again, Mojo 2 with no USB cable attached, turned on in silent room, plug in P8's using stock cable and you can hear the hiss/noise floor, it is quite evident, I'm not sure how someone else couldn't hear it.

edit -

Can't hear any hiss on the Qudelix 5K, or straight off my phone jack, tested on my desktop amp (Audeze Deckard), quite apparent hiss on there also but that thing is like 4w @30 ohms.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #332 of 515
Strange, it's definitely there, but very faint, I use mobile at the most plugged into my android phone, o0genesis0o a few posts above stated that he/she can also hear a slight hiss using Mojo 2.

I have just tested again, Mojo 2 with no USB cable attached, turned on in silent room, plug in P8's using stock cable and you can hear the hiss/noise floor, it is quite evident, I'm not sure how someone else couldn't hear it.

edit -

Can't hear any hiss on the Qudelix 5K, or straight off my phone jack, tested on my desktop amp (Audeze Deckard), quite apparent hiss on there also but that thing is like 4w @30 ohms.
I just double-checked.Connected the Mojo 2 to my MacBook as well as my Samsung S22 Ultra using the ddHifi 09 Nyx cable (the one with separated/isolated data and power strands (though that should be irrelevant as the USB C in on Mojo is data only).
I tried:
MacBook: USB C connections left and right (nornaly I use the left, foward connection point).
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Android): Same cable, once Qobuz directly, once using UAP (USB Audio Player) Bit-Perfect output.
Counter-check: BT receiver via Coax and also nothing connected at all.

I do not hear any hiss or white noise in the background. It is dead silent and background is pitch-black.
With and without sound.

How loud do you listen on the Mojo?
I tried bumping up the volume as much as I felt was safe. I hear nothing. My hearing is still pretty good and on the Mojo 2 my listening level (for the Performer 8 IEMs) is mostly on the 12 to 0 last clicks of the "low gain" range (Menu button unlit). I can go max 3 to 4 clicks into "high gain" (Menu button lit) on quieter songs. Anything higher hurts/stings in my ears.

Maybe you got a hissing unit (can you try anothe Mojo to check?), maybe our hearings fall into the natural variation of human hearing. How old are you? I'm 44 and it is true, I do not hear a lot of high-tones as I used to as a child (for instance old TVs or electronic gear.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #333 of 515

edit -

I’ve never noticed any hiss with the P8 with my Qudelix 5K, Topping NX4DSD, M1 MacBook Air headphone jack, or even the $9 Apple lightning dongle.

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #334 of 515
I'm still enjoying my P8's very very much.

What would be an under $100 (ish) dongle that would be a good step up from the $9 Apple dongle that would work well with these and my iPhone? Only requirements is that it has its own volume buttons so that I have a finer adjustment over the volume, something that does not use an ESS DAC chip, and smallish in size. Thinking maybe the Moondrop Dawn Pro maybe? I like the sound of these right out of the headphone jack on my M1 MacBook Air, but I feel that they probably could do better than an apple dongle when I want to use them with my phone.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #335 of 515

What would be an under $100 (ish) dongle that would be a good step up from the $9 Apple dongle that would work well with these and my iPhone? Only requirements is that it has its own volume buttons so that I have a finer adjustment over the volume, something that does not use an ESS DAC chip, and smallish in size. Thinking maybe the Moondrop Dawn Pro maybe? I like the sound of these right out of the headphone jack on my M1 MacBook Air, but I feel that they probably could do better than an apple dongle when I want to use them with my phone.
Maybe wait and see how FiiO KA13 turns out. It would be released soon.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #336 of 515
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #338 of 515
I sold my P8 and got the Kiwi ears Quintet, and I like the quintet better. They have different DNA, tho... the Quintet has satisfying bass, but it is very bright in a good way. The soundstage is much wider thatn the P8...stellar imaging and great timbre and tonality, also very coherent, very airy and transparent treble...... P8 has better layering and depth, tho...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #339 of 515
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #341 of 515

Have you tried Truthear Shio (2x CS43198)?

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #342 of 515
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #344 of 515
I'm thinking of picking up the P8s with the moondrop dawn pro. I haven't messed with 4.4 balanced, should I get try them with the 4.4 cable? Thanks
The P8 is super sensitive and easy to drive, so in my opinion I wouldn’t bother. They need less than 30% on an Apple lightning dongle, and less than 15% on my M1 MacBook Air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back