Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #76 of 588
I have GS849 Penon cable with ISN H50 iem and the sound is thicker and less harsh in all frequencies vs the stock cable. Of course that the cable doesn't change the iem totally but refines it . And sometimes changing the iem is of course a better solution. There are folks which can afford many cables and check what's they found which fits best to the specific iem weaknesses and strengths. About the P8 I asked personally someone who has the P8 and many cables and he said that after checking many cables he found that the stock cable in this specific iem suits best.
No worries, and if you find synergies with cables, I am genuinely pleased for you.

Assuming that the perfect matching cable can be found for each individual IEM… you actually hit the nail on the head when you wrote:
There are folks which can afford many cables and check what's they found which fits best to the specific iem weaknesses and strengths.
I suspect that would not likely represent most people. Even if the search for cables can yield an ideal result, I suspect this would be a “rich man’s game”, and most would benefit from EQ. I say this NOT to disagree but to provide an alternative.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #77 of 588
The best tips for me for P5 are the stock red and blue medium tips. With them I have the best bass rumble and best highs/mids, plus the sound is more open. The Performer8 doesn't have those. It has only the small, but no mediums red and blue. So, I decided to try the P5 medium tips with the P8 and for me they sound the best and give me the best bass.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #78 of 588
Picture time:

IMG_0863.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg

Still absolutely loving these. They sound good with everything. Rock, metal, jazz, electronic.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #79 of 588
20230607_122002.jpg

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #81 of 588
Jun 7, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #82 of 588
I have both...prob gonna sell the 5
I assume that it doesn’t do any one thing better than the 8?

I may sell my Timeless AE because of the P8. I’d sell my Hexa too, but I’m not sure that it would be worth bothering to sell them since they aren’t really worth that much.

I’m going to keep my Etymotic ER4SR though, but they won’t be getting used as much.

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #83 of 588
I assume that it doesn’t do any one thing better than the 8?

I may sell my Timeless AE because of the P8. I’d sell my Hexa too, but I’m not sure that it would be worth bothering to sell them since they aren’t really worth that much.

I’m going to keep my Etymotic ER4SR though, but they won’t be getting used as much.
I put massive burn in on the 5 and they transcended to the next level....gonna burn in the P8 with about 200 hours

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #84 of 588
I put massive burn in on the 5 and they transcended to the next level....gonna burn in the P8 with about 200 hours
I’m just going to keep listening to mine for hours on end. Between yesterday and today I probably have about 8 hours on them already.

Jun 9, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #86 of 588
20230609_201034.jpg

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #88 of 588
image.jpg

Gotta chase that diminishing return with big amp :dt880smile:

After plenty A/B tests, I can say with confidence that these IEMs are as resolving, nuanced, with as accurate imaging as my U12t, beating everything else I have on those aspects. The soundstage is not as vast as U12t when listening to large orchestral music, so there is space for improvement. The bass quality is high-end. It’s fast, bouncy, detailed, and can slam when the music calls for. I wishes for a bit more quantity of that good bass, though.

graph-28.png

Tonality wise, this is not a Harman-inspired IEM that is thin and sharp to intensify the impression of resolution. It is tuned closed to U12t with MX M15 module. The treble quantity is closer to Tia Fourte and MEST II. The first time I put these P8 in my ears after days of listening solely to Meteor, my impression was "ouch, these have treble". The midrange is brought forward, which is good for most vocal music, but does reduce the illusion of space with orchestral music. This is the key difference comparing to my U12t. The edginess of upper midrange is minimised thanks to minimal ear-gain at only 8dB.

Soundstage is an interesting aspect of these IEM. I find the soundstage to be able to expand far into the surrounding environment, thanks to the treble extension. It means that when I listen to an orchestral soundtrack, the elements that are supposed to be in the background would sound like they come from further away, in the background, with a clear contrast to the bulk of the actions happening at the centre of the stage. This illusion gives soundstage uncanny sense of 3D and depth that only a few IEM with high-end treble performance can do. However, most of the soundstage is tightly focused around the centre, likely due to the tuning that pushes the 800Hz to 2kHz forward. Therefore, when I listen to a large orchestral piece, I find the orchestra to be more tightly packed around the centre of the stage rather than being distributed across the soundstage like, say, how U12T or Andromeda 2020 handle the staging. From this angle, I can totally understand the complaints about the lack of depth of P8.

Imaging accuracy, however, is outstanding. Left-right, front-back, higher-lower, everything is done very. It works like a radar in FPS game like CSGO. For example, the sound does not simply comes from the left. I can easily distinguish left-front and left-back. When teammate runs around the back, I can track them as they run from right-back to left-back to left, to front.

In summary, if you judge an IEM first and foremost by its “technical performance” like me, this IEM breaks the value scale.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #90 of 588

Users who are viewing this thread

Back