Aftermarket IEM Cable List (Now more Visually Stimulating)
Jul 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #83 of 225
Quote:
Just gonna.. Bookmark this.. Real quick

Sorry about this. I have not updated this list in forever now. I will attempt a few updates when I get the chance. Been busy with a new job fresh out of college and it's hard to stay on top of these things. I hope the information is not too out of date. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #85 of 225
Quote:
Are cables compatible with UE also compatible with 1964 ears?

Yes and no, If we are speaking about custom IEM's, yes with the exception of custom molded UE TF10's which may or may not be compatible with the same cables as other CIEMs. Basically, their are three main types of pins for these cables, a fourth if you count Shure as pins based. You have TF10 pins, Westone/UE pins, and FitEar pins. That list is in order of thickness of the pins too (TF10 cables having the thinnest pins). Shure used their own system for cables and their may be slight variation in terms of the location of the ground pin, but most cables are reversible if you need the pins another way. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #87 of 225
I hope I am not intruding on this thread by asking this question, but what is the need for a good cable? Like what does a good cable to do an iem? Also, why is there a preference for certain metals to make such cables? Do they help with transmitting electricity or something of that sort?
Im sorry but while I love listening to IEMs, there are plenty of things I am not aware of when it comes to the technology behind them. 
Hope some of you can help!
Thanks
Nusho
And if im not allowed to post such a question here, just tell me and ill take it right off :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #88 of 225
  I hope I am not intruding on this thread by asking this question, but what is the need for a good cable? Like what does a good cable to do an iem? Also, why is there a preference for certain metals to make such cables? Do they help with transmitting electricity or something of that sort?
Im sorry but while I love listening to IEMs, there are plenty of things I am not aware of when it comes to the technology behind them. 
Hope some of you can help!
Thanks
Nusho
And if im not allowed to post such a question here, just tell me and ill take it right off :)

Different cables have different properties. The gauge of the wire, the thickness and type of the insulation can have a big effect on the feel and look of the cable. Certain insulations will cause what some call, "microphonics" and some will cause the cable to be stiff even if the wire inside it is thin. You also have solid core wires and stranded varieties. Some OFC some OCC. Every decision has some type of overall effect.

Different metals have different conductivity. While most cables that make a connection from end to end will work as a cable, some metals MAY sound different than others. This is a bit of an argument on Head-Fi, and I am a believer in the different metals having an effect on sound. To me it's clear, to others, it's just something made up so they need to spend more for a cable. 

This list is not very up to date anymore, I don't think I will be able to update it for a very long time. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #89 of 225

Different cables have different properties. The gauge of the wire, the thickness and type of the insulation can have a big effect on the feel and look of the cable. Certain insulations will cause what some call, "microphonics" and some will cause the cable to be stiff even if the wire inside it is thin. You also have solid core wires and stranded varieties. Some OFC some OCC. Every decision has some type of overall effect.

Different metals have different conductivity. While most cables that make a connection from end to end will work as a cable, some metals MAY sound different than others. This is a bit of an argument on Head-Fi, and I am a believer in the different metals having an effect on sound. To me it's clear, to others, it's just something made up so they need to spend more for a cable. 

This list is not very up to date anymore, I don't think I will be able to update it for a very long time. 

Hey thanks man this cleared up some of my confusion! 
What are some effects different cables may have? You mention the gauge, the thickness, and the insulation. How do these effect sound quality, efficiency, or durability?
Thanks once again
Nusho

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #90 of 225

Hey thanks man this cleared up some of my confusion! 
What are some effects different cables may have? You mention the gauge, the thickness, and the insulation. How do these effect sound quality, efficiency, or durability?
Thanks once again
Nusho

Please just go through some of the reviews. It's way too complicated for me to sum up accurately and in it's entirety. That's the entire point of this subsection of the forums (mostly at least).

Basics from my personal experience:
- All cables even if they are supposed to be similar, are different in terms of feel and flexibility and build quality, if they are from different manufacturers.
- I have found silver to be a bit more analytical, copper to be more warm, silver plated copper to be a bit more in between. 
- Some cables can be extremely stiff and hard to coil for storage purposes, others will be able to wrap around a single finger just fine.
- In the end its all about the perfect storm of the cables features to find the right one. I refuse to use an aftermarket cable in my portable setup unless it only serves to improve my experience. I have gone through many cables because some are just not flexible enough to coil into a case I use nicely. Some were really slaved to the effects of the wind. Some were just poor quality in general. Currently, I have my favorites, but I am not going to be writing a review of them, I think the reviewers in my list so far have done a really solid job. But I also know their are tons of newcomers which are absolutely superb. I just don't have the time to update this list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back