Aftermarket cables for the HE-6/ HE-500 etc.
Jun 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #136 of 186
Quote:
Well I just ordered my 2nd a-100 and my 2nd pair of Mad Dogs, this time with a Skuld v2, 8 conductor hardwired balanced cable.  Going to add the Jkenny Ciunas DAC to this rig.  

The amp is only $189 - still not high end enough?  
biggrin.gif

Pssh only $189. It can't be that good! 

I'm actually thinking about grabbing a second A-100 to hook up my HE-500 and Mad Dogs. Did you ever get a Mjolnir in house? I'd like to see a comparison between the two. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #137 of 186
Quote:

Pssh only $189. It can't be that good! 

I'm actually thinking about grabbing a second A-100 to hook up my HE-500 and Mad Dogs. Did you ever get a Mjolnir in house? I'd like to see a comparison between the two. 

In fact - I had the Mojo and the a-100 in house at the same time before.  Even as good a price the mojo is the sub $200 amp is just as good.  A-100 is way better with the HE-6s, with the LCD-3s = same / stand ins: with the sub $200 amp wining in the sound stage department.  

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #138 of 186
What type of cable is suitable for the HE500 ?

is it silver, copper or something else that I do not know about ?

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #140 of 186
Quote:
Silver if you want them to be more lively - copper if you want them to be more on the warm side. 

And you could get a gold cable too! Hook that up to the LAu, and it'll be like you're tossing hundred dollar bills off of a cliff! 

Quote:

In fact - I had the Mojo and the a-100 in house at the same time before.  Even as good a price the mojo is the sub $200 amp is just as good.  A-100 is way better with the HE-6s, with the LCD-3s = same / stand ins: with the sub $200 amp wining in the sound stage department.  

Little disappointed to hear that in a way. I was pretty set on grabbing a Mjolnir as at least a bit of an upgrade to hook up for a balanced rig. I'm not super surprised though. When I did a head to head with the Little Dot MKVI+, it was pretty nose and nose. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #142 of 186
Quote:
Little disappointed to hear that in a way. I was pretty set on grabbing a Mjolnir as at least a bit of an upgrade to hook up for a balanced rig. I'm not super surprised though. When I did a head to head with the Little Dot MKVI+, it was pretty nose and nose. 

Well, it is a speaker amp with an extra large transformer in it.  With hard to drive headphones it don't even break a sweat.  I'm not sure but it may stay in Class A all the time never switching to A/B.  So it will compete at a high level.  It can't touch the F1J though,,
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #143 of 186
Quote:

Well, it is a speaker amp with an extra large transformer in it.  With hard to drive headphones it don't even break a sweat.  I'm not sure but it may stay in Class A all the time never switching to A/B.  So it will compete at a high level.  It can't touch the F1J though,,
biggrin.gif

That certainly is true. Gets me thinking about putting a 1/4" chassis mount on the front with some resistors in line. Could make a sweet little headphone amp! 

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #144 of 186
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

That certainly is true. Gets me thinking about putting a 1/4" chassis mount on the front with some resistors in line. Could make a sweet little headphone amp! 

Haha I was just thinking the same thing about my Alesis. I would probably end up going the other way though and bypass the volume pots to make it a straight power amp
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #145 of 186
Can anyone please share the guidelines of which cable to select or use between copper or silver ?

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #147 of 186
The highs were more relaxed on the Reign vs the stock cable but the Reign needed more power for equal volume. That was about it on a spot check between the two HE-6s we tried. The 6s were with the same pads and one was newer with less wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back