After years of looking, I have finally found the type of Classical I was searching for:
Jul 16, 2009 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Literally years now; have been looking for a fusion of modern/minimal and romantic period classical. Really something along the lines of the great movie scores but longer in composition.

Well, Gorecki's 3rd Symphony was the first step in the right direction a couple of months back (thanks to whoever recd that to me). Although absolutely stunning, I wanted a bit more variation in sound and no vocals.

Then I stumbled upon Arvo Part's 3rd Symphony when I picked up a compilation/Tabula Rasa CD ( mistakenly posted a week or so back saying it was Tabula Rasa that floored me). This may be the most incredible piece of music I have ever heard. It jumps from being powerful to subtle, dark/cold to emotive, slow to fast. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, and for me, thats what its all about.

Any recommendations based on the above?

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try pandora.com i use it to find similar music

problem is, they are going to simply group Arvo Part with all other minimal/modern composers.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you didn't even try.

True, but I havent found Pandora to be very useful in the past, when looking for very specific types of virtually any genre.
I'll give it another shot though.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 17
Eric Satie

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibelius.

Any particular starting point?

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 17
Starting point for Sibelius - the Violin Concerto. Next, the Symphonies, particularly the last 3.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starting point for Sibelius - the Violin Concerto. Next, the Symphonies, particularly the last 3.

I have his violin concerto; tried it a number of times and its never really clicked for me. Also, to my untrained ear, it seems very different than what I am looking for based on my original post.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 17
I need to follow more of these threads, you people know some great music. I just tried and really like that Arvo Part stuff, moves to top of the to-buy-list for next time I'm at the CD store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back