After three years with my SR-60s, I am soon to retire them.
Mar 1, 2008 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Yummy Tree Sap

New Head-Fier
I've had my SR-60s for a little over three years by now. Three years, two months and five days, to be annoyingly precise. They have been great to me, and I have been great to them. Sure, those little SR-60 things fell off, but I assume that's purely cosmetic anyway.

Anyway, their stock pads were wearing thin for the longest time. Finally sick of it, I just yesterday got the bowl pads. The only positive thing they've done is make the headphones look better.

First, they're uncomfortable. The mesh of the driver is really uncomfortable, and after only a little bit of listening, it's actually somewhat painful. I guess I'd be able to deal with that if the sound was better.

They do not. In fact, it is very much the opposite.

I have practically no low-end anymore. The first thing I listened to using the bowls, I thought to myself, "Wow, this recording has no bass at all!" Then, I realized that it was not, in fact, the recording—everything else I have also had no bass. Particularly surprising, when all of the reviews I read stated precisely the opposite. To top it off, the high-ends are now way-too-prominent and at times terribly harsh. 'S' sounds in vocals can be a particular problem at first.

So, instead of wasting another good amount of cash on more foam, I'm thinking that maybe it's just time to retire my SR-60s in general. I don't have all too much money, and I wouldn't want overly expensive cans anyway (I tend to use them for portable use, or other instances where an amp is implausible). Maybe $100 or so at most. What is recommended?

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Wait.. so if you're going to retire them, are you going to put them back in the pizza box and burn it?
tongue.gif
For your recommendation, maybe invest in some IEMs? since you're going to use them for portable use?

Edit: also, the bowls shouldn't be that uncomfortable. Are the Sr-60's clamping on your head? I use the bowls on my MS1s and I adjusted the headband so that the bowls have barely any clamp.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 9
I, too, have the SR60s with comfies and bowls, and I, too, prefer the comfies to the bowls. The comfies are just so much more, well, comfy, and contrary to what many say, seem to enhance the bass. Every time I put on the bowls on my SR60s, I take them off almost immediately and put the comfies back on. I don't know why the bowls get so much love here. If I ever bought a higher-end Grado, which I probably won't, I would definitely put some comfies on it and forget about the bowls.

You seem to really like your SR60s, and you're probably not going to beat them for less than $100. So why not just save yourself $90 and buy some more comfies? Sure, it’s no fun having to spend money on foam, but I sort of think that having to buy new pads every once in a while is part of the Grado experience.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Have you tried washing the bowls with soap and water in the sink? You'll need to was them 4-5 times, until water runs clear through them. You'll see brownish water and soap foam come out in the first few washings. Then wring them out and let dry overnight. I find them far more comfortable after that.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Or it seems that you like the original sound and pads so why not just get a new pair of comfies?

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 9
I think you may be looking for an excuse to try something new, which is totally fine. In light of that, I'd recommend checking out some of the other brands since you won't be able to get an upgrade in the Grado line for $100. Perhaps HD555 or Audio-technia?

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Maybe I was quick to judge. I'm starting to think that the bowls are all right. I need a little more time with them, I think.

And I guess I can't get anything better for the price, so I might as well stick with these for a while. I'd like something better, but I don't use headphones for all that much more than for my MP3 player or Powerbook, so it'd just be a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back