After three years the journey has ended: I almost have had them all
Jan 11, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #76 of 103
I'm trying my best to find a headphone (or brand) to suit my listening needs by acquiring a top of the line headphone from each major manufacturer. I still need to get a stax model and the w1000/w5000 from audio-technica. After that I think I should have a pretty good idea what will work best for me. I never see myself having or spending the kind of money to purchase a K1000, any discontinued/limited edition Grados, any Orpheus model, an R10 or the like, so I don't really think about what they may sound like.

Glad you found a headphone that you love.
580smile.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool story! What I love is that you came to enjoy a cheap headphone after hearing "the bestest of the best!" Just goes to show that everyone has different tastes and certainly knowing you have owned them, and have nothing to gain or lose by proclaiming that you have made it to the end of the line, well this is refreshing for folks who can't afford the "greater" stuff or shouldn't or simply won't. It demonstrates that there are plenty of gems in the "reasonable" price category.

I'm intrigued by the Ultrasones now, I've read not a few posts remarking how they take on the R10's. Something to think about.

Congrats!

Zanth - This ^^^ sums things up rather well! I am also somewhat intrigued by the Ultrasones, but like Grado's, you have to try before you buy! Maybe one day I will give the Grado House Sound another go: RS-1/HF-1/GS-1000, etc. Unfortunately, the highs and comfort of the lower end Grado's has given me the jitters. On the contrary, I've experience the opposite w/Sennheiser, although, some of the details get lost source depending. Also, Sennheiser HD 650's have the gift and the curse effect, they are so comfortable and laid back they tend to make me want to go to sleep at times.

OP: Superman - Wow; I'm envious, suprised, and glad for you, given the vast range of headphones you've been through, that you've come "nearly" to the end of your long journey. This is all to often becoming the common theme here on head-fi : start small -> go big -> end small or not as big and save make money in the end...not me...lots more trial and error left to occur/incur.
frown.gif

Now hurry up and leave before you change your mind!
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #78 of 103
I've always got that monkey on my back. You know, the urge to keep trying other things. I got that urge again recently to possibly look at trying out another can once again but I just dearly love my HF-1 to death and that always holds myself in check. I did a search for RS-2 versus HF-1 just now and found this thread. It's made me reevaluate once again. I just absolutely love my HF-1, I just can't express it enough. They are just...it's...I just love them. It's a must for me to use Senn 414 pads with them, I also do the tape mod on the pads. Paired with my Mapletree tube amps it's just exhilirating at times. I know there are phones that can sound technically better but for sheer musicality and listenability, with high resolution and excellent technical performance that you can't deny they exude to a relatively high degree in their own right, they just hit me...right there.

Aug 2, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #83 of 103
keep us updated on your headphone/head-fi journey. this is an interesting thread.

edit: what about the new denons, d2000/d5000. have you had a chance to hear them.

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #86 of 103
Well....this thread i think just turned me into an official Grado fan. I listened for a while to Senn's , an i didnt like them. Afterwards i said, maybe AKG will bring musical peace in my soul... Although very audiophile phones, all they did was getting my soul borred
smily_headphones1.gif
) After that i said, maybe Grado....i went for an SR-60 and instantly enjoyed the sound and was amazed by the great value for the money. Now i'm receving this week a pair of SR325i....but now due to this thread i'm already worked up about getting a HF-1 and a RS-1.....
So to sum this up i say: GO GO GRADO!!!

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why to risk that they will call a psychiatrist?

LOL that made me snort my drink out of my nose because I can relate, if my family knew how much I spent on HPs, they'd think I was crazy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back