After searching still need some input
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
A little back ground. I have the Senn HD650 and the Beyer DT880. Like the sound of the Beyer's more. They just sound a lot more clear.. However they lack low end for me. In any case both just didn't hit the mark for me. As it would stand I would look to get the T1 but the price is out of reach for me.
 Can anyone suggest a headphone that is like the Beyer's sound that is super clear and almost 3d sounding with better bass..
All I really want is a DT880 with better bass.. They only other drawback to the Beyersynamic's is the cup size is on the small size for me. I prefer oval but it's not a deal breaker.
Any help?
Any brand will do too if it hits the mark.
Budget..$700.00
My amp is a Bellari HA540

HIFIMAN HE500????? Although not sure if my amp is good enough for these..
AKG ?

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 6
I own the DT 880 600 Ohm, HD650, and HE-500.  I highly recommend the HE-500 as a noticeable upgrade over the other two.  The HE-500 has crisp non-sibilant highs and powerful deep lows; the best of both of the headphones you currently own.  But where the HE-500's really shines is in the midrange.  Paired with the right amp, there are few headphones that can match the dynamic sound of the mids, especially with vocals.  Check out the huge thread about the He-500 here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-loan-pair-for-uk-pg-28

The HA540 puts out 1W @ 16Ohms (which, if my math is right, works out to about 420mW @ 38 ohms, the impedance of the HE-500).  This should be plenty to drive the cans to a loud listening volume. 

Hope this helps.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. I think I will get these. The other brand that is catching my eye is the AKG K701. For the money the write ups on these seem spot on as far as being very detailed.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks. I think I will get these. The other brand that is catching my eye is the AKG K701. For the money the write ups on these seem spot on as far as being very detailed.

I previously owned the Q701 for around 6 months.  The sound was bright and airy with a reduced bass presence; the bass was well extended, but lacked any real punch.  While the soundstage was very large, I wouldn't call them super detailed as some of the detail was lost in the airy-ness of the sound.  IMHO, people can sometimes mistake bright headphones for detailed ones which may be the case with the K701 series phones. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
A little back ground. I have the Senn HD650 and the Beyer DT880. Like the sound of the Beyer's more. They just sound a lot more clear.. However they lack low end for me. In any case both just didn't hit the mark for me. As it would stand I would look to get the T1 but the price is out of reach for me.
 Can anyone suggest a headphone that is like the Beyer's sound that is super clear and almost 3d sounding with better bass..
All I really want is a DT880 with better bass.. They only other drawback to the Beyersynamic's is the cup size is on the small size for me. I prefer oval but it's not a deal breaker.
Any help?
Any brand will do too if it hits the mark.
Budget..$700.00
My amp is a Bellari HA540

HIFIMAN HE500????? Although not sure if my amp is good enough for these..
AKG ?

Heya,

Equalize your Beyer. Drop all frequencies, except bass, by 5~10db. Free.

Otherwise, look into:

Hifiman HE-400
Hifiman HE-500
Ultrasone HFI 2400, PRO 2500

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I run everything through my Emotiva gear and into my Belarri HA540. My preamp has no tone controls so there is no adjustment here.

However when hooked in my Marantz PM8004 bedroom system this integrated has tri tones. I can change the sound to what I want but 9 out of 10 times I am set on source direct. With that said when I use the Senn's I turn down the mids a bit to get a better sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back