After listening to bass for a while, no more bass can be heard
Jun 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Banned at his own request
Well I like Basshunter and what nots and all the time that I listen to bass, at first there is a lot of bass, but it somehow decreases. 3 hours later this persists, but if I stop listening for about 3 days, bass comes back.
This is not a source/file problem, nor a headphones problem.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 16
Bass may be damaging your ears. Kind of like after a concert, hearing not so good and doesn't recover for a few days. I do not have this issue as I have not owned a basshead headphone in a very long time now. And yes I do own Basshunter's Now You're Gone album, hilarious album. I just like to imagine club going fluffy girls dancing to music about Ventrilo, Dota and an IRC Bot.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I like Basshunter and what nots and all the time that I listen to bass, at first there is a lot of bass, but it somehow decreases. 3 hours later this persists, but if I stop listening for about 3 days, bass comes back.
This is not a source/file problem, nor a headphones problem.

This is an ear problem.

I've heard similar things from car audio installers - they'll fill a car with subwoofers only to have the owner come back next week asking for more bass - when the car is cranking out the same insane level it was the week before, only the owner's ears are in short-term hearing loss in that range.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 16
Sounds like some ear fatigue. Be careful with that bass..

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 16
@ OP.
Note that this could just be how your ears "warm up" (bass heavy headphones are unbearable when i first start listening but after a while i warm to it).
Chances are theres nothing wrong, but if it is taking 3 days to come back, you are probably listening too loud.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 16
If it's loud enough to cause short-term hearing loss it's loud enough to do permanent damage, especially if it's taking 3 days to recover.

Be careful, perhaps find someone local with an SPL meter and/or spectrum analyser to look at your setup, and perhaps go to the effort of getting your ears tested just to be sure.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LapTop006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's loud enough to cause short-term hearing loss it's loud enough to do permanent damage

Thats not strictly true, but its something good to operate on.
Your ears will warm up to sound (why things sound loudest after you just wake up) during the day, and this will not cause permenant damage as it is recovered overnight in most cases.
It has been discussed at length on HAF.
I'd also like to mention that any sound can cause permenant damage.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 16
On the other hand what you can do is get some bass shy headphones (AD700 in my case) and listen to them at a normal volume level for a while, then swap to something neutral (MS1s in my case) and enjoy the enormous amount of perceived bass.

Stupid ear perception messes everything up.
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 16
you listen too loud, that's more than likely the reason
smily_headphones1.gif

set your usual volume, then lower it a bit...it will force your ears to hear more details, you will enjoy music a lot more!

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 16
Ok, I'll try.
The thing is, I usually set the volume to 3 (max is 8) on my device, and with my recent headphones, the bass doesn't come through much.
So I set it to 4.
Then the bass starts to break my jaw.
A reference: at max volume (8), this device is able to drive 80ohm phones to very high volumes.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 16
ohmage doesnt really give an indicator of how loud itll go.
You could buy an inline volume thingy if you wanted to get a point between 3 and 4.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'll try.
The thing is, I usually set the volume to 3 (max is 8) on my device, and with my recent headphones, the bass doesn't come through much.
So I set it to 4.
Then the bass starts to break my jaw.

then maybe it's simply poorly driven.
I've got 3 impedance settings on my STX, at max it sounds saturated, at min. it sounds dull and hollow, at mid it sounds perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

I could imagine putting the min. impedance setting at max volume and still being unhappy w/ the SQ..

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 16
I wouldn't say you're necessarily doing permanent damage to your ears as hypothesized, they're just being blasted with FAR too much base, and they simply have to adjust (As suggested). I suppose if anyone has been to a club of any sort, this same effect is rather obvious. Step inside and stand there while your ears are blasted with ear splitting treble and insane amounts of base. After some time, the music almost feels like background noise regardless of how completely obnoxious it is. Then proceed to step outside, and you feel your ears crying in pain/ ringing for hours afterward.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks Monago! That is a helpful excuse to tell my fiance who always is trying to make me goto a club and I just don't seen to have the desire now that Im over 21.

It is a natural thing. It happens from concerts, headphones, car subs. It is only really a problem if you do it nonstop and dont adjust the volume. Take breaks from bass like that. I WISH I HAD THAT PROBLEM. None of my cans will shoot bass no matter how much I try.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I wouldn't say you're necessarily doing permanent damage to your ears as hypothesized, they're just being blasted with FAR too much base, and they simply have to adjust (As suggested). I suppose if anyone has been to a club of any sort, this same effect is rather obvious.

This phenomenon is called Temporary Threashold Shift (TTS) and is a defense mechanism of the ear, designed to lessen the sensitivity of the ear to avoid permanent damage. This is done by muscles flexing and tightening the eardrum. Repeatedly forcing the ears into a TTS state will eventually result in PTS (Permanent Threashold Shift). Normally a couple of hours is the most it should take to recover from TTS, if it's taking 3 days I would be concerned that you may have permanetly damaged your hearing. If I were you, I would consult an audiologist!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back