After inserting ER-4 deeper, surprise!
Oct 5, 2005 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Ref

100+ Head-Fier
I own ER-4 (with 75 ohm resistors) for a couple of months, use foamies for 2 monts and I always thought that I am getting the right seal.

I thought that the isolation with foamies was for me around 25 dB (pure guess), great comfort, and that ER-4 was light on bass (but fine for me and i still heard it) and stronger (but balanced) mids and highs. Cable's angle around 35°.

Today, I inserted my ER-4 deeper in my ear canal, and SURPRISE
eek.gif

BASS and LOWs are more present, highs and mids present but phone sounds darker (but with MORE
confused.gif
detail) and now i feel the isolation is around 40 dB (pure guess). Cable's angle around 10°.

So, is this the right seal?
etysmile.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 32
I've always struggled with seal issues too. I was going to get custom molds made but decided if I was going to go through all that trouble and expense, I might as well go UE-10 Pro!
evil_smiley.gif

May still, but I don't use IEMs enough right now to justify the expense.
CPW

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 32
Really, they sound more live now... i don't have an amp but this is how i would think it would improve sound... now they are NOT bass light in any way, not even bright!!!

The only bad thing for me few hours after i discovered it is the temptation to listen lounder.

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 32
Wow, even eating sounds are NOT amplified now, so this insertion is clearly past "second bend of ear canal".
Should they be inserted this way?

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
Wow, even eating sounds are NOT amplified now, so this insertion is clearly past "second bend of ear canal".
Should they be inserted this way?

thats how i tried them, and my shures go in that far, be careful though, dont want anything stuck do we?

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 32
Well, for portable use the NEW seal is definately better... I'm not a basshead so I was happy even before, but i wonder how they are meant to be worn?

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 32
Eating sounds are unbearable w/ my Etys properly inserted. Almost impossible to listen to music while eating airline peanuts!
biggrin.gif

CPW

Oct 6, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 32
Strange, people actually posted saying that they sound bad when inserted too deep. Anyway, they are the ugliest IEMS.

Oct 6, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by exkgb
Strange, people actually posted saying that they sound bad when inserted too deep. Anyway, they are the ugliest IEMS.

Probably because there is not that much mids and high
smily_headphones1.gif
the sound is more real though.
I like added highs when inserted "not deep"... but I also like "deep" insertion's sound ...

Oct 6, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 32
I won't be inserting them that deep. I'm too afraid of impacting ear wax or puncturing an eardrum.

Oct 6, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 32
if the thread title was posted at any other forum besides head-fi, i think it would be very easily misunderstood for something else.
biggrin.gif

man, i gotta get my mind out of the gutter... (after giggling reading the title for the FUN CANS thread)

Oct 6, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
I won't be inserting them that deep. I'm too afraid of impacting ear wax or puncturing an eardrum.

It is good practice before using any IEM for the first time to have your ears syringed by a doctor to ensure they are free of wax. Then, as long as you ensure proper hygiene and clean your ears reguarly, you should not have any wax problems.

As for puncturing your eardrum, the insertion would hurt well before you got near to the drum with any danger of puncturing it.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back