After hours of research, I still can't find something that I like. Help, please?
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

NinjaMilez

New Head-Fier
I'll mainly be listening to multiple genres of Metal, but mainly the faster, more bass-inclined material.

I started out going for the HD 650, since they're highly praised, until I heard that they weren't good for what I wanted. 

It basically went downhill from there. I think I was getting a bit too hung up on every forum post I was reading.

If I just state the sort of characteristics I'm looking for, maybe I'll get somewhere.

£300/$500 budget (not including an amp and DAC)
Bass clarity is the most important thing I'm looking for. It's doesn't need to shake my head.
I don't have any preference to the midrange or highs, as long as they aren't recessed.

Edit: I will probably be using a Schiit Magni and Modi with whatever headphones I get.

Edit #2: I've updated the budget from £250 to £300.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Grados-no way !!! bass distortion and roll of, plus non linear harmonic distortion... on ear, comfort issue to many to list hence not recommended!!!

If open back is must:

DT880 600 (ohm)  buy O2 Odac (if you want absolute clear bass) or Modi dac, avoid Magni good amp but bass is slightly blurry.
AKG Q701/K712 pro little harsh sounding but you can Eq it down

Generally all Open back headphone have significant flaw you better go with closed:
NAD viso HP50
Focal spirit Pro
PSB MU1

Cheers

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 19
  I'll mainly be listening to multiple genres of Metal, but mainly the faster, more bass-inclined material.

I started out going for the HD 650, since they're highly praised, until I heard that they weren't good for what I wanted. 

It basically went downhill from there. I think I was getting a bit too hung up on every forum post I was reading.

If I just state the sort of characteristics I'm looking for, maybe I'll get somewhere.

£300/$500 budget (not including an amp and DAC)
Bass clarity is the most important thing I'm looking for. It's doesn't need to shake my head.
I don't have any preference to the midrange or highs, as long as they aren't recessed.

Edit: I will probably be using a Schiit Magni and Modi with whatever headphones I get.

Edit #2: I've updated the budget from £250 to £300.

For metal I highly recommend getting Grado's, makes drums sound fun but since you have your budget in Euros it will cost more because Grado only sells in the USA. 

Grados-no way !!! bass distortion and roll of, plus non linear harmonic distortion... on ear, comfort issue to many to list hence not recommended!!!

If open back is must:

DT880 600 (ohm)  buy O2 Odac (if you want absolute clear bass) or Modi dac, avoid Magni good amp but bass is slightly blurry.
AKG Q701/K712 pro little harsh sounding but you can Eq it down

Generally all Open back headphone have significant flaw you better go with closed:
NAD viso HP50
Focal spirit Pro
PSB MU1

Cheers

My view is that for the OP, closed headphones would probably be better
because of the very characteristics of open headphones -  which I would not
call a "flaw" - open headphones tend to have a larger soundstage,  better
imaging, and an "airier" sound;
closed headphones have 'more' bass and importantly more "slam" at the
expense of that sense of "air"...

I agree with Lumos to the extent that for open headphones, the DT880
is a top choice...I like the HP50...the Focals are an acquired taste IMO

I disagree about the AKG K/Q series, however.  The only model with
any meaninfgul bass is the K712, which wasn't mentioned.  Very,
very good headphones - you can take a look at the lengthy dedicated
K712 thread here on head-fi -

Finally, I'll say to the OP > you've got to start listening to some headphones
to get a baseline idea of what appeals to you...

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 19
It sounds to me as if you'd be happiest with a planar, considering your desire for linear bass. So either a Fostex mod (BMF, MD, ZMF) or HE400 and a little EQ. Best luck!

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 19
I would highly recommend the NAD HP50 given your price point and musical tastes.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 19
After owning both HD650 HE400 and RS325i I can safely say the HE400 just outperformed them all for Metal.
The HE400 are just super fast with punchy but not overwhleming bass along with magical mids (might be a little recessed for some) and really nice sparkle on the higher notes. IMO they are perfect for metal (and rock). 

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 19
  Have you had any experience with the HE-500 or HE-560 headphones with Metal?

I've realized that I'm able to push my budget up to £650/$1,100 for headphones.

I believe if you can afford you better go in HE560 route

otherwise wait for HE400i

I would avoid old HE400 due to high harmonic distortion problem better buy would be DT880 or Q701/K712

cheers

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 19
Both of the new ones are better choices for metal than HE500 because they have more drive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 19
I believe if you can afford you better go in HE560 route

otherwise wait for HE400i

I would avoid old HE400 due to high harmonic distortion problem better buy would be DT880 or Q701/K712

cheers

Totally agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back