After doing hours/days of research I need head-fi's help.....
Sep 9, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #16 of 20
well pretty sure I've made my decision ............................M50's back in the box back to guitar center :frowning2:.......it was tough but for me it boiled down to a couple of small reasons:

1. comfort:  580's had a deep can, it wasn't that firm of a grip on my head also
2. leakage:  580's win!  i mainly listen at a low- mid volume but sometimes i want to crank it up and i noticed that the m50's leak a little more than the 580's
3. sound:  that was tough....honestly sound the same BUT m50's had harsher highs "to me".  the bass seemed about the same.

Between a friend/ coworker and myself, we both found it tough to decide.  Its not that much difference but no means just like all the other m50's vs. 580 threads out there.  all boils down to preference. 

let me put this in the mix....IF you cant get the M50's down in price nearest the HFI-580's or lower......hands down go to amazon and buy the 580's at $127.  don't look back, think what if, blah blah.........  you'll just stress yourself like i did.  in that price bracket, you cant go wrong!  And just think about a week ago, I'll admit that i was going to spend $300 on some Beats.  I now have the 580's and Sony V6's for $200 which leaves me with extra to think about buying a portable amp for play from my laptop, touch pad,ipod or droid phone!  i hope this little, I'm not that big of an audiophile like some of these people are review helps you out! 

Would like to tell you supbrowawawa, Thanks also because if it weren't for your post, i would have been content with the M50's!!! 
beyersmile.png

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
well pretty sure I've made my decision ............................M50's back in the box back to guitar center :frowning2:.......it was tough but for me it boiled down to a couple of small reasons:

1. comfort:  580's had a deep can, it wasn't that firm of a grip on my head also
2. leakage:  580's win!  i mainly listen at a low- mid volume but sometimes i want to crank it up and i noticed that the m50's leak a little more than the 580's
3. sound:  that was tough....honestly sound the same BUT m50's had harsher highs "to me".  the bass seemed about the same.

Between a friend/ coworker and myself, we both found it tough to decide.  Its not that much difference but no means just like all the other m50's vs. 580 threads out there.  all boils down to preference. 

let me put this in the mix....IF you cant get the M50's down in price nearest the HFI-580's or lower......hands down go to amazon and buy the 580's at $127.  don't look back, think what if, blah blah.........  you'll just stress yourself like i did.  in that price bracket, you cant go wrong!  And just think about a week ago, I'll admit that i was going to spend $300 on some Beats.  I now have the 580's and Sony V6's for $200 which leaves me with extra to think about buying a portable amp for play from my laptop, touch pad,ipod or droid phone!  i hope this little, I'm not that big of an audiophile like some of these people are review helps you out! 

Would like to tell you supbrowawawa, Thanks also because if it weren't for your post, i would have been content with the M50's!!! 
beyersmile.png

Huh, interesting. I'll have to keep the 580s in mind when I go shopping for a replacement for my M50s eventually. Although that won't be for quite some time. I'll consider buying a pair when my M50s reach its limit in the near future. Alternatively, I can buy one now and use that as a backup pai- *wallet proceeds to chomp on my fingers*...Oww >_>

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 20
thank you for that review! I'm for sure not getting M50's now HOWEVER it seems like I have ran into another dilemma... I have found another competitor, AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-PRO700MK2

Sighhh...

Anyone know how these compare to the HFI-580s?

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #20 of 20
Check out crinacle's review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2

For me personally, I spent a good month and half with the M50 on my ears and I still desired something more.
I went through my backlog of electronica music and I wasn't quite satisfied with the M50. For all other genres the M50 was great. Very good response, flat, and not too coloured. A good overall performer but nothing spectacular. I wasn't expecting my life to change from the M50, let's just say that :)

I've had the HFI-580 for about 2 weeks now and I am enjoying it a lot. It has made electronica a lot more enjoyable to listen to. Other genres, I still prefer the M50 as the Ultrasones are very suited towards electronica.

Can't comment on the PRO700 MK2 but it seems to be a decent basshead can that isn't owned by that many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back