After doing hours/days of research I need head-fi's help.....
Sep 8, 2011 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

supbrowawawa

Head-Fier
I've been searching for the perfect headphone for QUITE sometime now and I have narrowed it down to these cans.

Originally I wanted to go with some AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50 but it seems like those aren't such a great value anymore. Anyone care to explain why?

Recommendation that others have given me instead of the M50s.

Ultrasone PRO 550
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW/

Ultrasone HFI-580
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8/

Ultrasone HFI-780
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/

As you can see they are all relatively same in the price range and are all "bass" headphones or so I am told.

I would really like something with a very powerful, clean bass. Also, I heard that the 780 are a bit harsh and my ears a slightly sensitive so can anyone back this up?

I am also open to other suggestions but they must remain in the same price range, bassy, and style/slimish (this will be worn in public)

So please help me, I'm exhausting from doing research lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the type of music I listen to lol.

Mainly: electro, trance, dubstep, house, indie, power pop, pop punk, alternative, and hip hop.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 20

Honestly, I'm probably not the best source to respond to this, but I've actually tried the HFI-580 for a few hours, and they sound phenomenal. Great amount of bass for the buck.

It probably also helps to state your genre/general music styles that you listen to.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 20
Most Ultrasone are the same. Not from personal experience. I've only tired the Pro900's myself.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 20
Sep 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 20
Heya,

The M50 used to be able to be had around $100 new. It's not been that inexpensive lately. It has no sound stage, it's cramped, not that comfortable (to me at least) and the sound is pretty boring (some slightly bright highs, recessed mids, and bass is decent though). The only truly good thing in my mind about the M50 is that it is built well and is made like a tank and I like that it has 180 degree swivel cups. Other than that, I don't think it has $100~$150 sound.

Based on your genres, the HFI 580 would do you justice. I find the HFI 580 to have more sound stage, and more interesting/energetic sound than the M50. The ultrasone has that fun sound. Some people love it. Not everyone does. Only you can decide that. Anyhow, it's also less expensive retail wise, so another nice perk. Plenty of bass, nice mids, energetic highs. Looks nice too.

The 780 is not as harsh, dunno where they got that idea. The HFI 780 is a more smooth refined sound, less strong bass, same mids, slightly less treble. It's an excellent headphone, not `better' than the 580, simply a different sound, again, as they take the bass & treble down a notch for a smoother less bassy experience of the same sound. Great headpone so long as bass isn't the most important thing to you.

Check out the Shure DJ750. It's inexpensive, looks nice, swivels and folds, and is a bassy little monster. Doesn't get a lot of chatter around here like the Ultrasones do, but figure I'd throw it into the mix.

Another headphone for you to check out is the Denon D2000. If you can afford it, I would put you on it right away. It's in my opinion a nearly perfect mid-tier headphone and is very well suited to bassy electronic music, but can also turn around and handle acoustic and classical with authority too. Very easy to drive, no amp required, and it's classy looking (even the cable is sheathed). It's gorgeous. It's an excellent portable, and full size home headphone. It simple doesn't fold up or swivel, if that's a deal breaker. That said, if you need something less, check out the Denon D1100. I'd pretty comparable to the HFI 580, but maybe you would like the style better.

Another headphone that may interest you, although not considered a massive bassy headphone, is the Fischer Audio FA-003, which comes with both velour and leather pads, and is pretty nice looking to, and has excellent neutral audio.

And another headphone which may be of interest, is the KRK KNS8400. It has great sound and can do bass with some authority as well and isn't that expensive if you want a headphone with some good clarity.

Very best,

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 20
Ahhh thank you so much ValUeaux! I wish I could give you a hug! haha.

But yeah I wish I could afford the D2000 :frowning2:

As for the rest, I think I would narrow it down to the HFI-580, Fischer Audio FA-003, and the KRK KNS8400.
Although I can't really seem to find the FA-003 so that leaves the HFI-580 and the KNS8400.

I don't know though and I'm really tired of beating myself over deciding which cans to get so I think I'll just go with the HFI-580 <3

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Seriously Ultrasone is taking over da planet, every other thread is about ultrasone or someone recommending them. That being said.... Buy some ultrasones.
Oh and I believe that the pro 550 are re-badged DJ1 which are $20 cheaper.....
Mal should show up soon and post the standard HFI line rankings or you can search for the ultrasone thread 
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GU77SC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315462733&sr=8-4

Just a correction for the OP. 

The Pro 550 is a re-badged DJ1 Pro. The DJ1 in the link is a re-badged HFI-580. 

I'll +1 to what was already said and think you'll be happy with an HFI-580/DJ1.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 20
You would probably be happiest with the 580's if bass is your thing.  I have owned both the DJ1 Pro (same as 550 pro) and the 580's and the Pro's they are better over-all due to larger soundstange and more balanced signature but the bass can be weak (great quality less quantity than 580's).

580's are fun as hell, but remember, they will not sound the same out of the box as after some burn in.  Bass tightens up and the highs tame a bit.  Also reccomend at least some amplification if you're running off a portible device like a sansa clip.  Sound good un-amped but bass is not as rich.

780's are kind of in between the two models but the highs were just too much for my tastes.

Also, the HFi's are more physically appealing, smaller cups and finish looks nicer than the DJ1 Pro/550's IMO.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 20
I Just picked up the ATH-M50's an hour ago and now burning them with trance music on Tunein.com.  I got them for $135 which were a hastle for me Guitar Center trying to have the match the price from an online store....Blah blah and 20 mins later I walked out with them.  enough said

As for the sound quality so far and with the only comparison i have are the sony V6's, bass is deeper, highs seem crisper, larger sound stage and more comfortable around my ears.  Now reading this thread i'm about to sway and pick up the HFI-580's to compare :frowning2:.  I dont know how many threads i've picked through just to decide on the M50's but its up and down comparing them to the 580's.  

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
I Just picked up the ATH-M50's an hour ago and now burning them with trance music on Tunein.com.  I got them for $135 which were a hastle for me Guitar Center trying to have the match the price from an online store....Blah blah and 20 mins later I walked out with them.  enough said

As for the sound quality so far and with the only comparison i have are the sony V6's, bass is deeper, highs seem crisper, larger sound stage and more comfortable around my ears.  Now reading this thread i'm about to sway and pick up the HFI-580's to compare :frowning2:.  I dont know how many threads i've picked through just to decide on the M50's but its up and down comparing them to the 580's.  

I was in the same exact postion you were in. I wanted to get some M50's because there was so much hype about them but then when I started to look deeper into my research, they weren't so hot anymore, not saying their not good headphones or anything, but according to others, for the price, it's not worth it.

Maybe you can return them and get some 580's? Lol.

Also I don't know if this method of "burn-in" is better but you should give it a try. http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 20

They are worth it at $135 but that is at just about the heightest I would say to get them. 580s are not an upgrade that is a sidestep with a different sound sig. 
Quote:

I was in the same exact postion you were in. I wanted to get some M50's because there was so much hype about them but then when I started to look deeper into my research, they weren't so hot anymore, not saying their not good headphones or anything, but according to others, for the price, it's not worth it.

Maybe you can return them and get some 580's? Lol.

Also I don't know if this method of "burn-in" is better but you should give it a try. http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Im actually in the process of ordering the 580's as we speak so i can get them tomorrow to compare the two....the powers of amazon :).  either the 580's or M50's will be going back next week!!!

At least then i can be content with my purchase and hope nobody monday post a thread "HFI580's vs blah and 580's lose!" lol 

im ready to troll around on portable amps, computer speakers etc... 2 headphones (sony V6s &********) for me should be enough.........i hope :frowning2:.....

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 20
O I didnt read that you already had the V6s. Yea you are gonna keep the ultrasones the M50 and V6 were similar to me and at half the price I always say go V6

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 20
Just got the 580's in!  so I'll give you "my" impressions on them comparing them to the M50's soon....keeping the thread alive
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back