After buying Klipsch Image, SE530, Denon C751, and Klipsch C-3's at the same time, I am keeping.....
Feb 19, 2008 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

onlychild

500+ Head-Fier
the Klipsch Image.

Note : Source is Sony A818 and I listen to alternative, hip-hop, rock, pop.

Before I found head-fi, I was happy with my V-moda vibes. After finding head-fi, I decided to purchase my first good pair of IEMs ($200 - $500). Instead to buying one at a time, and then trying to remember what the last one sounded like, I decided to get all the IEMs at the same time, then sell or return the ones I did not want to keep.

Now that I have been on head-fi for close to a month, my views have changed on what I need where. For example, before head-fi, I was content with owning one IEM to use everywhere (work, plane, home, gym, walking outside, etc). Now I have come to realize that I want a good set of headphones (HD650 maybe) for home, and an IEM for work/gym/outside.

My reasons for keeping the Klipsch Image over the others may not be the right reasons for you. I wanted something that sounded great, but at the same time it had to be comfortable to wear all day at work, not too big that it made me look like a geek wearing it, and I had to be able to take it on and off without much hassle if someone came up to talk to me (at work). The Klipsch Image fits that bill perfectly and then some.

Ok, now the SQ comparisons (to the best of my knowledge and junior head-fi ear).

The Klipsch Image is everything I have been looking for. I would describe the sound as warm with incredible bass. They sound more like the SE530s then any of the other IEMs I tried. I would say the Image are about 80%- 85% of the SQ of the 530s. Not quite as detailed as the 530s (I can place instruments a little better) and the bass doesn't hit quite as hard as the 530s (then again what other IEM does compared to the 530s in this price range), but the Image has better highs (e.g. they are not rolled off). Other Image owners have complained that they are a little harsh, but I did not find that to be so. But when it comes to comfort and ease of use, the Image blow the 530s out of the water (IMO).

I truly do love the sound of the 530s out of all the IEMs I have tried, but for me they are not practical for where I use them. They are to hard for me to put on and take off with the black fomaies (can't get a seal with any of the other tips). And they start to become uncomfortable after 2-3 hours.

Now I don't want you to think I have just settled for the sound of the Image just because they are comfortable and easy. The Image sound incredible. The bass coming out of these little things is amazing. The soundstage is something you have to listen to believe. The highs could use a little more refinement and the mids are also incredible. Again, very close sound to the SE530s. If you like the 530s, you should at least give the Image a try.

The Klipsch C3s have been a little more difficult to review for the fact that I could not get a good seal on my right ear (even with the Shure black fomaies). A few other people have had this issue as well. The first day I got them, there were a few hours when I did get a good seal. The C3s and 530s are two different sounding IEMs and you sort of can't compare the two. The C3s are really really really detailed (especially in the highs). You can hear EVERYTHING. There is also good bass, but not as much as the 530s or Image (based on the very few times I did get a good seal). I would say the C3s are probably for people who listen to classical or music with a lot of guitar and violins. I did not spend much time with the C3s because my ear stated hurting from trying to get a good seal.

I did not like the sound of the Denons. I am a person that likes up-front mids and vocals with good bass impact. The Denons highs are a little too harsh for my ears. Now my opinion on the Denons might be totally different from other people, because I did not burn the denons in at all (only put about 6-8 hours on them). I have read that their sound changes a lot after 20 hours of burn in, but I did not even give them a fair chance because that same day I had gotten my Image and I was hooked on their warm sound and up front mids and vocals from the first minute of putting it on.

If you like the sound of the 530s, then you will probably like the sound of the Image. I have not heard the Er4p, but from what I have read, the C-3s seem to fit their sound but probably with more bass.

Again, this review (if you want to call it that), may seem a little biased towards the Image, but they fit my needs perfectly. For how comfortable they are and easy to put on and get a perfect seal almost everytime, the sound that comes out of these little things is truly amazing.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 11
wow mate - I just read your title and care little for what you chose I just wanted to see what your reasoning and method was for having every one of those. A calculator began to roll in my mind - it still is rolling - I am glad you found the phone for you - the klipsxh are the phones I am waiting to hear even though I quickly get headaches from armature based phones - welcome and damn sorry for YOUR wallet

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound more like the SE530s then any of the other IEMs I tried. I would say the Image are about 80%- 85% of the SQ of the 530s. Not quite as detailed as the 530s in the mids and the bass doesn't hit quite as hard as the 530s

Wow! We certainly hear different things and yet we have the same source. I didn't like the E500 at all, not that it was bad - but the sound signature did nothing for me. And I found the mids distant, echoey and high up, especially vocals. I like the Image sq a LOT more than the E500s.

With the Image - the mids are much more upfront - so upfront I can sometimes feel them playing out in my brain (never got that feeling from the E500s). The E500 bass was loud enough, but I always felt it was unbalanced, as if sometimes it was the only thing that was going on in the music. I don't get that feeling with the Image at all. I find the bass much clearer and less 'boomy' if that's the right word.

And I guess you felt the Denons had no midrange or bass impact because you didn't listen to them long enough (like you said.) So far, people's complaints about the Denons seem to be that the treble might be too much - but from what I remember in the thread - almost everyone thinks the bass has impact and that the midrange/vocals are very forward!!

Strange how we're using the same source but hear completely different sound! I guess that's why people say it's very hard to describe sound as we all interpret it so differently. But I would have thought we'd have had a similar experience using the same source. . . but I guess not!

Anyway, glad you're happy with your choice - that's the main thing after all.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi Soozieq,

You are absolutely correct. It is very hard to describe sound or put into words what you are hearing (especially for a new head-fi'er). What I was trying to say was the SE530s seem to have more detail ( I can place instruments better).

I have changed the thread to reflect this.

I guess that is why it is always best to hear each IEM for yourself and not just listen to what others say is good.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the comparison onlychild. I currently have the SE530s, having gone from the Denon C700 and the q-Jays. The Images definitely caught my attention. Guess I haven't visited head-fi in a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the Images still working for you?

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 11
haha, soozieq and i came from the same angle, from the shure to the denon. she loves the klipsch too i think but she has a wonderful and founded love in the denon. all the phones you listed are wonderful phones and indeed, you spent some serious dosh. good luck getting some of it back!

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Hi Soozieq,

You are absolutely correct. It is very hard to describe sound or put into words what you are hearing (especially for a new head-fi'er). What I was trying to say was the SE530s seem to have more detail ( I can place instruments better).

I have changed the thread to reflect this.

I guess that is why it is always best to hear each IEM for yourself and not just listen to what others say is good.

I like the SE530, and I think you described them well. Mine don't sound like what Soozieq describes as much as they sound like what you describe.

Yet, Soozieq and I agree on what the Denon sound like, but you think they are harsh.

So, we still can't find a pattern there to predict what I, you, soozieq or anyone else will like without listening for themselves
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

The Klipsch Image is everything I have been looking for. I would describe the sound as warm with incredible bass. They sound more like the SE530s then any of the other IEMs I tried. I would say the Image are about 80%- 85% of the SQ of the 530s. Not quite as detailed as the 530s (I can place instruments a little better) and the bass doesn't hit quite as hard as the 530s (then again what other IEM does compared to the 530s in this price range), but the Image has better highs (e.g. they are not rolled off). Other Image owners have complained that they are a little harsh, but I did not find that to be so. But when it comes to comfort and ease of use, the Image blow the 530s out of the water (IMO).

I truly do love the sound of the 530s out of all the IEMs I have tried, but for me they are not practical for where I use them. They are to hard for me to put on and take off with the black fomaies (can't get a seal with any of the other tips). And they start to become uncomfortable after 2-3 hours.

Now I don't want you to think I have just settled for the sound of the Image just because they are comfortable and easy. The Image sound incredible. The bass coming out of these little things is amazing. The soundstage is something you have to listen to believe. The highs could use a little more refinement and the mids are also incredible. Again, very close sound to the SE530s. If you like the 530s, you should at least give the Image a try...

Onlychild,
I am glad you have found Image X10 to your liking. You may find that the sound signature of Image X5 will be even closer to what you are looking for.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 11
For the most part I am hearing the same thing on my images. I really am quite taken with them and the harshness is calming down so hopefully it's just about eliminated in a few days. I personally am extremely impressed with how good they sound given their cost. Very comfortable, isolate well, little mircophonics etc. My shures had a lot of microphonics on the chord. I've listened to a few top tier headphones, including the 530's, and the klipsch is up there with my particular genres of choice. Rock, alternative, hip hop and electronic are great for these headphones. Good bass but not over powering. For jazz, classical and these would not be my headphones of choice though certain Philip Glass pieces, Pruit Igoe anyone, sound great with the mids and bass.

On a side note I have had trouble getting the biflanges in and I think these sound better not wrapped around my ear as it seems to muffle the sound a bit. I do have pretty shallow ears though.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Loving mine. I use them all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back