After a few days with the CD3K and HD650
Feb 28, 2004 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
Well I was hoping to byt this time have made a decision to sell either of these headphones, but I haven't made any such decision.

Well I've been listening out of my Powerbook the past 2 days and today I went and picked up a Pioneer DV-563 DVD player to further the enjoyment. Well the cd3k's are definately not harsh any longer out of this source. Anyways, I have been listening to everything from classical, rap, rock, alternative, jazz, and dvd's the past 3 days. My conlusion is of course not too different from everyone else's. The CD3k's are very forward, up front, and lively cans while the Senn's are very laid back and much darker.

Some things I noticed is the details in music and dvd's are much more noticeable out of the cd3k's, which is why I refer to them as more detailed. With my Senn's the details are all mixed in together, more muffled and hidden, whereas with the cd3k's everything is seperated. An example is in The Matrix, there are little things like footsteps, voices outside the view of the camera, bullets and even just little movements that the cd3k's picked up and were very evident, but with the Senn's I would have never noticed it.

The bass is very good on both cans, something I noticed is that the cd3k's is more bloated and exaggerated, while the 650's is much more accurate and tighter. I do believe the 650's bass goes deeper, but something I noticed is that it will bottom out or clip maybe (I've heard this term before) before the cd3k's.
Example of the Bass in John Coltrane's Giant Steps, the acoustic bass is much more accurate and moves right along with it, I guess this has to do with speed and how fast the cans are, but the cd3k's is much more bloated so the notes are as defined, since when the bass is on the next note you can still hear the bass from the previous note. (Make sense?)

The Soundstage is definately bigger on the CD3K's, that was the first thing I noticed.

I find the cd3k's will bring me to fatigue rather quickly with there very aggressive sound up front sound. As a mater of fact, after listening to them for awhile and putting my Senn's back on, I took a deep breath and just kind of felt cool again. The Senn's are really soothing cans. It's like after you have had enough and feel you can't take anymore throw the 650's on your ears and just relax
cool.gif
. I do find the comfort to be superior with the Senn's, just because of their fit, and their being open and cooler. The cd3k's are very comfortable as well, they are very light and you can easily forget they are there, suprisingly as they are so big. You really wouldn't think they are as big as they actually are with them on. Like I said, not just regarding sound, but even with comfort the Senn's are like a nice cool drink of water.

I let my girlfriend come and listen for about an hour and she listened to the cd3k's first and then the Senn's. Suprisingly, she mimiced all the comments I did and other Headfier's do regarding the CD3k being perfect for rock, rap, and other lively music that you really want to get into, but when you want to relax and just take it easy the Senn's are perfect. She loved them both though. I asked her which one's should I let go and she said to keep both of them and use them for different purposes.

I really was hoping to come out of this not liking the cd3k's much more than the HD650's giving me a reason to sell them and add some money in my pockets, that would just go somewhere else in my Headphone addiction. I know most people say with the Zu cable the 650's spank the CD3000's all around. I don't want to sell the cd3k's only to be disappointed. I've been contemplating using 1 pair of headphones for both computer use and Home rig. If that was the case I would keep the 650's and upgrade the cable. I love the cd3k's though, so now that adds to confusion. I'm going to be thinking over the next days, while listening to each, and decide on what I'm going to do. I'm impressed with the cd3k's and would not be the least bit upset if they find a permanent home in my collection
biggrin.gif
Well I am by no means one with a trained ear with a lot of audio experience, I just happened to be browsing the Boards and next thing I know, I end up with $700 worth of headphones, so I guess you could count this as a newbie review. Well feel free to ask any questions. I will post pics of everything a little later on, after I get back from the movies.

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 39
The fact of the matter is, at a certain peak, there will be situations where one headphone will not cut it for every task. Headphones that reach into the 500 dollars + can only help but to be specified towards one kind of sound output or signiture or whatever.

CD3000 is good-- Sennheiser is good.

Pick your own religion. Whatever you want
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 39
I often use my CD3K with a TiBook and a few months ago began using Audio Hijack Pro. If you haven't tried Audio Hijack you're really missing out. One of the best investments a music loving Mac user can make IMO.

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Jbroad572
I let my girlfriend come and listen...........

She loved them both though. I asked her which one's should I let go and she said to keep both of them and use them for different purposes.

Could be a ploy for her to keep one
evil_smiley.gif

Well it's lucky of you to have a woman who doesn't get freaky when you purchase audio related gear
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 39
I'm kinda interested in getting a set of CD3000's myself. I was just wondering if they come in any color other than butt ugly. For the cash I think it's reasonable to get something that looks half decent, the CD3000 has to rank as a major eyesore even if it does sound nice.

Just had to get that off my chest
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
The HD650s need an adequate amp. Headphone out from any Powerbook or DVD player is not going to cut it. Just look at the impedance difference between the two cans.

No, I used my ppa.

curious to know about audi Hijack Pro, do you use that as an iTunes replacement?

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

the cd3k's is much more bloated so the notes are as defined, since when the bass is on the next note you can still hear the bass from the previous note.

I think what you're experiencing here is the "decaying note"... CD3000's decaying note is one of its strength, it has a more much natural decay than the HD650, imho.

"decaying note" is a very important aspect in representing music that's both accurate and enjoyable, accurate decaying note is what allows one note to fall to the next, allowing mixture of different instrument and notes.

CD3000's special strength is its ability to present both artificulation (rising notes and separation) and decaying note at the same time.

Feb 28, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

I let my girlfriend come and listen for about an hour and she listened to the cd3k's first and then the Senn's. Suprisingly, she mimiced all the comments I did and other Headfier's do regarding the CD3k being perfect for rock, rap, and other lively music that you really want to get into, but when you want to relax and just take it easy the Senn's are perfect. She loved them both though. I asked her which one's should I let go and she said to keep both of them and use them for different purposes.

Marry her... NOW!

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by smeggy
I'm kinda interested in getting a set of CD3000's myself. I was just wondering if they come in any color other than butt ugly. For the cash I think it's reasonable to get something that looks half decent, the CD3000 has to rank as a major eyesore even if it does sound nice.

Just had to get that off my chest
biggrin.gif

Obviously you don't understand why we like the CD3000s so much. Wait for the HD595s or something...

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Jbroad572
curious to know about audi Hijack Pro, do you use that as an iTunes replacement?

Audio Hijack/Audio Hijack Pro is a recording prog (initially created to capture internet streams), not really a playback device like iTunes. The Pro version allows unlimited VST plugins, so instead of recording, you can just hijack iTunes, etc., and during real time playback use one of several better than iTunes EQs (very useful with the HD600s at least), Canz3D, RubyTube, etc. There's thousands out there.

And thanks for the HD650/CD3000 comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back