After 3 years, the people from Chesky just rolled out an HD music download store!
May 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Crow

Head-Fier
Just came across this Stereophile article: Stereophile: Chesky Launches High-Resolution Download Store

Apparently, HDtracks is offering

Quote:

thousands of titles across a multitude of musical genres as well as in-depth information about the artists and albums. When you purchase a complete album from HDtracks you will receive a PDF file containing the cover art and liner notes.

We offer CD-quality music in your choice of three formats -- AIFF, FLAC, and 320 kbps MP3. Plus, our downloads are always DRM-free, so they can be played everywhere, including home music servers and MP3 players (including iPods).

Looks promising..

May 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I just hope Chesky's customer service gets better. I just had to file a credit card dispute claim against them. They charged my credit card and never sent my order. And over a one month period, they never returned my emails, and I couldn't get a hold of anyone by phone. Nor could I leave a message beacuse their message system was full. The one time I did get through, some rude woman acknowledged the issue, said she'd email me, then hung up on me. Needless to say, I won't be buying from Chesky anymore.

May 1, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 5
So Chesky is HDtracks? There are a few threads on them already, btw, but I dodn't know they were Chesky.

May 1, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope Chesky's customer service gets better. I just had to file a credit card dispute claim against them. They charged my credit card and never sent my order. And over a one month period, they never returned my emails, and I couldn't get a hold of anyone by phone. Nor could I leave a message beacuse their message system was full. The one time I did get through, some rude woman acknowledged the issue, said she'd email me, then hung up on me. Needless to say, I won't be buying from Chesky anymore.

Thanks for the perspective. I did get one of those 'too good to be true' feelings while assessing the site. With any luck though, they can better accommodate and support online orders/downloads with this new model; interestingly enough the chesky.com page is completely blank at the moment...

Solan--looks like it. I guess I need to do some searching (
biggrin.gif
) to read up on hdtracks' reliability.

May 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 5
I've posted this in a few places, but it's worth saying again.

Once you purchase music, you can download it however you want. For example, if you buy a CD, you can download a copy of it through "illegal" channels without breaking laws. Same goes for downloads.

In particular, you can download a song from wherever you want (wherever's cheapest), then download that same song from somewhere "illegal" that has proper quality. The place I download from has most everything I want in FLAC. That place (among many others) in conjunction with an online download store or something makes for a lossless, legal download service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back