After 10 years, my Sennheiser HD590s have died...
Feb 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Prizm

New Head-Fier

Man I loved those headphones. And I only just replaced the velour pads a few months ago as well. I tried to glue it, but it didn't stay..haha
Too many falls off the desk, unfortunately.

At the moment, I'm thinking of the HD598 for a replacement...though I did hear a complaint or two about the build quality?
I mainly use headphones for amateur video editing, so they need to be very comfortable for long periods, and open back. I prefer something on the neutral side so I know how my audio sounds, but I'm not anal about it. I rarely use them simply to listen to music.

So yeah, I figured the HD598 would be the closest replacement, but I'm interested in any feedback.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry about your 590's. Looks like you got your money's worth though. The hd598 would be a good replacement and the price is reasonable. There were early issues with QC, particularly with the headband cracking. But that's been worked out AFAIK. 

If you could spend more, I think that you'd like the hd600 quite a bit more. 

gL!!

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 10
The HD 600 and HD 650 are a bit more solid I think (well that certainly can't happen at least because the headband is metal).

I have a used pair of HD 580's that are 20 years old and work great. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 10
10 years from a pair of cans is damned impressive. I hope my HD650s last that long, but knowing me I will probably retire them before their demise as I can easily see myself upgrading to feed my audio lust. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the replies!  Yeah I got my money's worth on these. From what I've read, the HD600 really needs an amp to perform properly, and I don't want to go down that route.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Prizm...  Sorry about your cans,

My 590's are still rockin HARD.  You can find them cheap on ebay.  They are amazing cans.  I still switch between them, 598s and 580s on songs from time to time.  The 590s were my first real audiophile headphone and the sound is really hard to qualify.  I dont know what I would do if they would break.  

Let me tell you about the 598's coming from the 590's.  Amazing.  Need to adjust the sub bass up but otherwise, an amazing upgrade.  I have grown used to the 598 sound but the 590 still has a special spot in my heart.  Get the 598 and you will not look back.  

PS.  I've looked all over for 590 threads. No one ever talks about them anymore but they are so worthy of praise.  

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!  Yeah I got my money's worth on these. From what I've read, the HD600 really needs an amp to perform properly, and I don't want to go down that route.

I was able to pick up a pair of HD-555 from Craiglist locally here in the states.  I modified them a bit by damping the cups.  The response is great, and they are a bit more efficient.  I paid $30 and then $26.00 for a fresh pair of ear pads from Sennheiser.

Then, I found the HD-595 on the forum here for $105, shipped.  The HD-555 is on the same magnitude (roughly) as the HD-595 after a few small mods are performed.  The HD-555 / HD-595 are just the last generation before the HD-558 and current HD-598 came out.  They are still excellent performers and people can overlook them because the might desire the newer "8" series (HD-558, HD-598) models.

Best to you,

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 10
I've had my HD590s since..... mid-2002, and they're still one of my go-to headphones for movies where comfort is more important.

They do need a lot of power though. Nothing unAmped will do.

May 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Prizm...  Sorry about your cans,

My 590's are still rockin HARD.  You can find them cheap on ebay.  They are amazing cans.  I still switch between them, 598s and 580s on songs from time to time.  The 590s were my first real audiophile headphone and the sound is really hard to qualify.  I dont know what I would do if they would break.  

Let me tell you about the 598's coming from the 590's.  Amazing.  Need to adjust the sub bass up but otherwise, an amazing upgrade.  I have grown used to the 598 sound but the 590 still has a special spot in my heart.  Get the 598 and you will not look back.  

PS.  I've looked all over for 590 threads. No one ever talks about them anymore but they are so worthy of praise.  

I totally agree with you 100% and I have both of the cans you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back