Afraid of sibilance?
Dec 16, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever happened to tone controls and high frequency filters?

the problem with tone controls and HF filters are they are applied over a large frequecy range and while they might tame the sibilance they can dull the high end, like treating a headache with surgery. There is more than just the sibilance that occupies that frequency range unfortunately

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I am having too much fun with my reproducing system to let anyone else get their hands on it.

I hadn't realized you took a direct role in the reproduction process. For the love of H. R. Pudendastuff, use shielded lubricant. (I've been telling Patrick82 the same thing for years, but he always makes the same excuse -- "true audiophiles, they are not not not interested in 'girly safety'" -- and does his business sizzleback.)

Weigh the buy: This thread is full of delightful examples of sibilance. Here is one such by the aptly named Mr. S.S.:

Quote:

[P]eople will think their gear 'sucks' if they hear what seems to be lots of sibilance in the reproduced sound.

Here's another by the deceptively named Mr. M. M.:

Quote:

yes noise can be music but sibilance should take a few cues. . . .

And, lastly, one from this very post:

Quote:

. . . does his business sizzleback.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

I no longer have the 701 or 601 either---sold them when I realized the 501 was actually better [more flat, no artificial bass-boost]. Gilmore Lite driving the 501's is my main setup. For most music in the pop/rock/metal genres, I actually find, in high frequency sections, it seems too sibilant. However, this is actually because of artificially boosted high[and low] frequencies in the source material I have found. When using classical tracks, or anything in general that has been recorded in a "pure" way----there is no sibilance whatsoever--only a gloriously transparent wonderous sound

I think alot of engineers ears are probably damaged due to noise exposure day after day and your highs freq goes first, so what do they do, push up the highs so they sound right to their ears..

I agree that with a good recording the 501's are phenominal , like looking through a transparent window (as opposed to a translucent one with the senns).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back