Affordable planar magnetic cans, any suggestions?
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 22
I don't own a pair of Audeze LCD2-C, but I do own one of their earlier models.
I think it's important for you to know that the bass is mostly focused in the sub-bass regions.
Could you give me an example, like, what song were you listening to when you noticed it. and was it muddy or thumpy ?

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #17 of 22
Could you give me an example, like, what song were you listening to when you noticed it. and was it muddy or thumpy ?

I guess I need to explain what I said a bit further:
It's not to say that the LCD-2 has NO mid-bass, but rather that it does sub-bass so well that I end up focusing on it more than the mid-bass. It just seems that the bass extends forever..
Punchy and thumpy are definitely found within the LCD's bass, and I would rarely call it muddy.

I'd also like to recommend the Mod House Audio Argons if you want to save $600+. It definitely requires and amp, and I've heard someone say that they found it a bit stuffy because of the elevated bass, but the impact of the bass is insane. It is a more in-your-face sound when compared to the LCD-2 which is more spacious and airy.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #18 of 22
It's not to say that the LCD-2 has NO mid-bass, but rather that it does sub-bass so well that I end up focusing on it more than the mid-bass. It just seems that the bass extends forever..
Punchy and thumpy are definitely found within the LCD's bass, and I would rarely call it muddy.

I'd also like to recommend the Mod House Audio Argons if you want to save $600+. It definitely requires and amp, and I've heard someone say that they found it a bit stuffy because of the elevated bass, but the impact of the bass is insane. It is a more in-your-face sound when compared to the LCD-2 which is more spacious and airy.
I'll check it out, the thing is i'd hope for planar that sound open and not in your head. rather than closed planar that sound like the music is coming from inside your head. (if you kinda get what i mean).
As for power, im assuming my Fostex HP-A4 wont be enough so i'll have to spend maybe 100-200$ on an additional amp to plug the fostex into so that i have the power to push these planars. but i heard the Hifiman Sundara are super efficient, so much so that they work on mobile phones... not sure if thats true. as the audio store near me doesn't carry them yet.

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 22

The Argons actually don't sound that closed. The soundstage is quite good. My one issue with the Argons is that the ZMF protein leather pads I got with them with tended to shape the soundstage so that it sounds like I'm listening through two long paper towel tubes. Switching to fenestrated pads alleviated this issue and made the soundstage great -- but at the cost of some bass.

They do need an amp for sure, but the $30 Walnut F1 does a great job with them.

Also possibly worth looking at the ZMF Classic (I haven't heard those, so I don't know how they compare)

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 22
The Argons actually don't sound that closed. The soundstage is quite good. My one issue with the Argons is that the ZMF protein leather pads I got with them with tended to shape the soundstage so that it sounds like I'm listening through two long paper towel tubes. Switching to fenestrated pads alleviated this issue and made the soundstage great -- but at the cost of some bass.

They do need an amp for sure, but the $30 Walnut F1 does a great job with them.

Also possibly worth looking at the ZMF Classic (I haven't heard those, so I don't know how they compare)

Would you mind giving me a link to these fenestrated pads?

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 22
Would you mind giving me a link to these fenestrated pads?

ZMF recently put out fenestrated versions of some of their pads, as well as microsuede ones. I got a pair of the Ori ones. They're great if you don't mind trading off a little bass for a more open and evenly distributed soundstage.

I actually also got decent results with the stock pads that originally came with my Massdrop T-X0 before it was modded into Argon. I believe these are Brainwavz hybrid pads. I think the angled version of those pads would probably work very well. The foam is not as dense and thick as the ZMF pads, though.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 22
Sound stage is important, i'd rather have that then thick thick bass. as long as the bass isnt too heavy and i get more sound stage i'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back