Affordable planar magnetic cans, any suggestions?
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Tsukuyomi

1000+ Head-Fier
I would love to own a pair of planar magnetics, the problem is price for some good ones are quite high (800$+)
im wondering if there are good ones for around 300-600$.
Currently the only AMP/DAC i have to power said cans would be my new Fostex HP-A4.
I know fostex makes a pair of Fostex T50RP mk.3, does anyone know if these are true planar magnetic and if they're any good? from what i've seen people recommend nodding them asap, i'd rather not have to mod my cans.
Also does anyone know if Hifiman makes good quality headphones? are the Sundara headphones any good?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 22
The Sundara do look promising. But the best planar for your buck is the HE-500. The only con is the weight, as they are quite heavy.

That amp should work fine with them. But they do scale very well with higher end, more powerful gear.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 22
The Sundara do look promising. But the best planar for your buck is the HE-500. The only con is the weight, as they are quite heavy.

That amp should work fine with them. But they do scale very well with higher end, more powerful gear.
in terms of quality are the 500's better than the 400i's ?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 22
The 400i are lighter and more comfortable. That's it! The 500 is leagues above it in sound quality. You can eventually mod them to make more comfortable. I put the 500 drivers in the 350 headband/cup assembly.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 22
The 400i are lighter and more comfortable. That's it! The 500 is leagues above it in sound quality. You can eventually mod them to make more comfortable. I put the 500 drivers in the 350 headband/cup assembly.
Unfortunately the 500's are discontinued, i can't find them anywhere unless i want to pay more than their original retail price on sites like ebay or amazon :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 22
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 22
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 22
You might check out an HE-400S and see what you think. It is comfortable and really sounds terrific. I prefer mine to my very good HD650. Also, you might investigate the Monoprice cans. Some people really enjoy those as well

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 22
I own a pair of DT1990 Pro's, do you know comparatively if they are similar in sound signature ? it would suck a lot if i bought the Sundara or 560's and found out they sound very similar to my DT's :frowning2:

What sound signature you're looking for? As you're starting to realize, buying a planar magnetic just because it's a planar magnetic is probably not the best reason.

Other possible options:
OPPO PM3
Massdrop Hifiman HE 4XX, if they become available again.
Audeze iSine, if IEMs are under consideration.

I've not heard any of those so I cannot comment on sound.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 22
What sound signature you're looking for? As you're starting to realize, buying a planar magnetic just because it's a planar magnetic is probably not the best reason.

Other possible options:
OPPO PM3
Massdrop Hifiman HE 4XX, if they become available again.
Audeze iSine, if IEMs are under consideration.

I've not heard any of those so I cannot comment on sound.
I'm not buying planar just to say i have a pair, i've heard my friends and other audio enthusiasts mention that the sound is very distinct to these types of drivers and thats something i can appreciate. i like to have variety to swap between when listening to music. i think of headphones as pairs of shoes, they all offer the same basic utility of being shoes, but each is distinctly different. different brand, materials, fitments, use (sports, casual, fashion, business, etc..) and different styles.

I wont consider IEM's as I cannot stand things that go inside my ear due to comfort.
I was considering the Audeze LCD2 Classic as they are cheaper than most Audeze headphones lol and ive heard good things about its distinct sound traits.
Hifiman i would love to try in person (as with the LCD2 classic) however ive heard build quality isnt the greatest with Hifiman and many people here dislike the brand due to its overly priced ethics and poor use of design or build recycling.
I've never heard of Oppo making headphones, I though they only made stero equipment. i'm definitely interested in trying them if im able to.

Sound signature i'm hoping to find, is open sound stage(natural size, not too large and not too narrow.) maybe slightly warm mids with a clean bass. I dont like too much bass but at the same time i dont want it to be anaemic and too thin. i'm a middle bass person lol.
as for highs i would like sharp, clean, very accurate.

I mostly listen to Rock, Classic Rock, Classical music, Film soundtracks and scores, Metal music and some pop/hip hop.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 22
I have the HE400i, HE400s, and HE4xx, and between them, prefer the 400i's, the though the 400s is a close second. The price difference between the 400i and the 4xx is minimal, and the largest differences are in the sound signature (though I think I prefer the cable from the 4xx). The 400i is just more my speed, and a BARGAIN under 250. I mean that. BARGAIN.

It puts up a hell of a fight against my Mr Speaker Ether's in some blind testing I've done with guests.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 22
What would be better, Hifiman Sundara or the Audeze LCD2 Classic.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 22
I don't own a pair of Audeze LCD2-C, but I do own one of their earlier models.
I think it's important for you to know that the bass is mostly focused in the sub-bass regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back