Affordable Integrated and Dac
Apr 3, 2011 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SLO7_MACHIN3

Head-Fier

I've been looking to upgrade my amp to something more recent. My modest bedroom setup consist of an old Kenwood KA-52 integrated, Arcam Fmj cd23, Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers and Ultrasone pro 900. I usually use my laptop and will buy an interface soon to serve as dac.
I want an headphone out and phono could be useful in the future, maybe digital inputs but i don't think it's necessary.
I wouldn't mind to buy something used, so i've looked at ex-demo, ebay, etc
my list is something like this: 
Yamaha as500/as1000
Nad 356BEE
Audiolab 8000 (maybe pre/power used?)
Naim Nait xs/4/5

On another point, I still have to try my fathers ol Quad 405 mk2 

Edit: I added Dac to the title, please read my post on 2/10/11 1:36 am

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 11
I kinda like those old McIntosh integrateds. Haven't owned one, but I like the build quality and the way they hold value. You might want to consider them.

Anyhow, going used is your best bet. Lots of good deals out there right now.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 11
The Peachtree Nova covers two of the bases you're looking for. It has a headphone out, and a digital input along with the usual RCA's. No phono input but there are several inexpensive phono pre-amps available that you can get. I use a VPI-130 myself and it also has a headphone out with a volume control. 

According to the manufacturer the DAC in that amp is really good and it has tube in the preamp circuit that can be cycled in/out via the remote. 

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Nova/Nova.html

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 11
The Peachtree Nova is nice is you want a pretty good pre/amp/dac/hp all in one.  None of the individual sections of the Nova is outstanding IMO, although the natural wood case is beautiful.  I second a used McIntosh or perhaps a Classe if you can find them.  A little more expensive perhaps but extremely well built and easy to repair.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 11
the peachtree nova is way out of my budget at ~€1000 new. The Yamaha a-s500 ~€350, the a-s700 ~500, a-s1000 ~950.
I was hoping to spend around €300-500, maybe get an used/ex-demo/refurb a-s1000 or a-s700. Nad models are about the same prices as the yamaha ones
As i said i will buy an audio interface soon, and i don't know how the dac on something like the peachtree would compare.

Prices in the used market vary too much so i didn't specify a limit, aslo there a lot of bargains in the audio market.
I mentioned the audiolab 8000x (8000a, 8000s?) because it seems that are a lot around, and they appear a lot on ebay. My grandfather bought maybe 10 years ago audiolab gear (pre, power and cd player), but i don't know the model, gotta check. 

As for McIntosh i don't think i can get an integrated for this kind of money. Furthermore i don't know if the speakers would be up to the task of something along these lines, but of course a future upgrade is always possible.

My fathers' Quad 405 mk2 is not out of the question if he intends to change. It has been repaired, maybe modded. What do you think? 

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 11
I got very lucky on my craigslist to find a Rotel 1062 interegrated amp for $300. Look into vintage, you will be amazed on how good they sound (i play on getting a vintage receiver or intergrated) for the money. Good luck

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 11
Try to get the Yamaha A-S1000, which is the best of the choices you mentioned.

I have the A-S2000, the original balanced version of the A-S1000 and I like it a lot. Its built in headphone amp is actually pretty good for low impedance headphones.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm back on this, but now i don't know if upgrading the kenwood first is the better option. I was going to buy an Apogee Duet to serve as dac/hp amp and to connect the guitar to the laptop (macbook pro), but im still in doubt if there aren't better options. At this price (~200 eur), maybe a little dot dac, or audio gd nfb-12, and then buy a cheap guitar cable-interface. There are so many products in the market it's ridiculously difficult to make a decision, so i seek advice and suggestions.
thanks in advance

PS. I'm still going to upgrade the amp later, but i'm leaning towards a cheaper solution, probably Nad 326bee, Rega Brio 3, Creek Evolution 1, Yamaha as300/500

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 11
I still haven't bought the Dac (neither the integrated, tough times) but i think i'm going to make up my mind next week. I'm pretty inclined to buy the Fiio E10, it seems to be a simple and cheap solution, and maybe latter an Apogee One, both for the price of the Apogee Duet mk1, and possibly the fiio's dac makes a better job than the duet, am i wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back