Affordable DAP with available LOD
Mar 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
lol I think he means PMPs that are huge. About the only 'portable' player you could use with a DAC would be an Android tablet using an OTG cable or an iPad with the camera connection kit. Even then, the DAC can't draw too much power or it won't work.

About the only consumer players I know of that have LODs would be Sony Walkmans, Sansa Fuze (+) (or View which has long been discontinued), Zune, and iPod.

btw, @all thumbs, why is it that you don't want an iPod? I'm just wondering because if it's iTunes you don't like, just google "iTunes alternatives" and some should come up. I used Sharepod once and quite liked it, although I only used it to import songs from my iPod, but I'm pretty sure you can sync with it as well.

SOny Walkmans? You mean the ones that play CD?

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
btw, @all thumbs, why is it that you don't want an iPod? I'm just wondering because if it's iTunes you don't like, just google "iTunes alternatives" and some should come up. I used Sharepod once and quite liked it, although I only used it to import songs from my iPod, but I'm pretty sure you can sync with it as well.  

I just don't really like Apple, although I try not to be too much of a hater. I've watch their business practices drift since the 80's into everything they purported to be against. Also their software is so much different than what I am used to that it gives me a headache trying to use it. I'll be the first to admit that their products as a whole look the best, if a little boring, and generally work very well,  as long as you don't mind the way they've been limited to ensure that smooth operation.

I might try a modded ipod someday using DoubleTwist or another synch software package. Until then, I think I'm buying a Fuze this weekend. Unless the Fuze plus can use a LOD and has a stable Rockbox port. I'll research that this weekend...

...after I pass my Microsoft Server 2008 MCITP cert upgrade exam. lol.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:

Unless the Fuze plus can use a LOD and has a stable Rockbox port. I'll research that this weekend...  

Don't bother. The Fuze+ does not have an LOD, and the Rockbox is far from finished....not to mention it doesn't help with the horrible touchpad controls. It's fine for a shuffle-only player, because it does sound good.....but it's a headache using the menus to accomplish anything.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:

Don't bother. The Fuze+ does not have an LOD, and the Rockbox is far from finished....not to mention it doesn't help with the horrible touchpad controls. It's fine for a shuffle-only player, because it does sound good.....but it's a headache using the menus to accomplish anything.

I agree. The touchpad is hard to use and the UI is a bit strange to me.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
SOny Walkmans? You mean the ones that play CD?

Well, some of those did have mini optical outs, so if you still carry your CDs with you... but no, Sony still makes players and they're still branded Walkman. It's a shame because Sony started the whole portable music player and Apple kind of took that from them. I wouldn't buy one now just because they don't have any high capacity players, and they don't support many file formats, but they are unique and sound pretty warm as opposed to the bass-rolled off colder iPod.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Well, some of those did have mini optical outs, so if you still carry your CDs with you... but no, Sony still makes players and they're still branded Walkman. It's a shame because Sony started the whole portable music player and Apple kind of took that from them. I wouldn't buy one now just because they don't have any high capacity players, and they don't support many file formats, but they are unique and sound pretty warm as opposed to the bass-rolled off colder iPod.

I just recently ordered a Sony NWZ S764 I havn't received it yet. I wonder if those come with the LOP.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back