Affordable, (but good) amp
Jul 24, 2007 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fxscreamer

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I hope this isn't a repost of any form, but I'll feel better asking myself, considering I've been looking up and down for amp reviews, statistics, prices, etc. Here's my situation:

I'm using Sennheiser HD580's hooked up to my MOTU 828mkII interface for the time being listening on my computer mostly. While my headphones sound good, I'm sure they can sound better, considering they have a 300 ohm impedance level (or however it's said). A long time ago, I listened to a friend's HD600's on a mid-grade headroom amp (can't remember which, but it's discontinued now). I melted at how amazing it sounded, and I definitely know what my headphones can achieve. But, for right now, I was just wanting to IMPROVE my sound, because cash isn't exactly blooming right now.

Is a headphone amp PERIOD..going to improve the sound of my HD580's? Can I actually hurt my sound by getting a bad amp? Also, if I'm listening to mp3's (even at a high bitrate), will that significantly cut my audio quality on an amp? I've seen some amps in the $50-$100, but I was curious if they sucked or not, and if it would be worth my money.

If I had my say, I'd go for a Headroom Micro Amp with a desktop module chip, but of course, that isn't happening right now.

Any info I need to know, recommendations from people that deal with this stuff daily? Thanks in advance.
rs1smile.gif

-fx

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by clc220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would say the go-vibe 6 for your price range.

From your suggestion, I've taken a look at it. Seems to be a worthy buy. However, I have the option of getting a gain of 2,3, or 4, depending on the impedance. I am assuming my headphones are high impedance, or would most likely want 4. But doesn't also increasing the gain run the risk of increasing the noise floor? Correct me if what I just said was bogus.
confused.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 13
I could be wrong, but I think that even if raised, the noise floor wouldn't be heard from high impedance headphones (like your 580s). Lower resistance headphones (eg. IEMSs) are going to pick up the noise though.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 13
For the $100 range, you are mostly looking at portable amps. Since you are using the amp at your computer, look for one with a DC power jack. In your price range, I would recommend the XP amp or the Headroom Total Airhead. The XP amp sounds a *little* better, but it is no longer made so you have to look for a used on. The Airhead has more professional looking casing and a much longer battery life. You might also consider stretching to the Bithead that has a built-in DAC and can be run on USB power.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 13
I agree with tbonner1, as Little Dot's are cheap and quite euphonic. A good first amp - I still use mine on occasion - and worth getting, as high impedance headphones can benefit greatly from a dedicated amp.

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 13
Another Little Dot fan here. I bought mine in the F/S forum for $115 with 2 extra sets of tubes around 9 months ago. I still see them from time to time going for less than $100. I have the first model, the Little Dot II ,and am listening with a set of Beyer DT990 pro / 250 ohm with a reasonable level from the amp.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 13
The Little Dot Micro+ is a great performer for $65 shipped. A previous review mentioned noise issues, mine has had zero noise and works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back