Affordable and reliable amp, need advice
Aug 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mr. mwandishi

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Grado RS-1i headphones, looking for an affordable and reliable portable amp. I'm currently looking into the Headroom Total BitHead Amp. Any other recommendations?

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 13
what's your budget?

For the price of the headroom amp I'd probably want to get a Meier Audio CORDA Headsix, or an iBasso D2+. Granted you have to pay for shipping from iBasso, and Meier has shipping included. The D2+ gives you the flexibility to also have a USB DAC, and the green color looks REALLY cool :p

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's your budget?

For the price of the headroom amp I'd probably want to get a Meier Audio CORDA Headsix, or an iBasso D2+. Granted you have to pay for shipping from iBasso, and Meier has shipping included. The D2+ gives you the flexibility to also have a USB DAC, and the green color looks REALLY cool :p

This. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/me...eadsix-438404/

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 13
I've always liked the Leckerton Audio UHA3 and it's <$200 new.

You can always check audigon.com for gear as well. I've seen some ASL headphone tube amps for less than $200 in the last few weeks.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always liked the Leckerton Audio UHA3 and it's <$200 new.

You can always check audigon.com for gear as well. I've seen some ASL headphone tube amps for less than $200 in the last few weeks.

Ooo, that's another good amp, too. It should work well with Grado, since it was a good match with the Alessandro MS-1 that I used to own.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. mwandishi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own a pair of Grado RS-1i headphones, looking for an affordable and reliable portable amp. I'm currently looking into the Headroom Total BitHead Amp. Any other recommendations?

HI, here is a post that said AMP3 works well with a lot of earphones including GRado RS-80.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index51.html.

AMP3 is alos a affortdable amp which price is only USD 149. Plus, you can get many bonus: superior AMP + Decent DAP+ hifi earphone+100 hours battery.

I would like to cite one post for your reference:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index50.html

The closest I can come to matching the SQ of the AMP3 with the PAA-1 phones is my iRiver H132 line-out to my iBasso D10 with AD8616 opamp in LR and bypassed buffers. Phones are Yuin G1As. The AMP3 still has an elusive quality that I have been unable to duplicate in my other amps.

IMO, the SQ of the AMP3 ranks among the very best available portable DAPs and exceeds that of many non-portable setups costing many hundreds of dollars more.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

AMP3 Is one of the candidate. The recommend reason is it is reported very good for pairing many phones.

Here is a cite of the comments:

I do think the AMP3 sounded better than other amps I listened to at Can Jam including RSA stuff and the E+, but from memory, not A/B.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

iPod classic, and occasionally my laptop.

Because of your occasional use of a laptop I would suggest you consider an unit w/ a built in USB DAC. To that effect and in no particular order:

- Leckerton Audio UHA3
- Used Corda 3Move
- iBasso D2+

Cheers.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 13
ok, just to recap:

• Source: ipod & laptop
• portable
• Price Range: >200
• built in USB DAC

I'm currently debating between the Leckerton Audio UHA-3 and the iBasso D2+Boa, they seem to be the best candidates. Any more recommendations? I need help deciding between these two amps. Price is an issue, and I would like to make a worthy investment.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back