affordable amplifier for 650's
Jan 22, 2007 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mmj

New Head-Fier
so i finally decided to opt for a headphone setup rather than a speaker setup primarily because of the limitations of the small room i'll be using for music listening.

i decided i would get the Sennheiser's 650 with a Cardas cable (is the AudioArt Equinox better?) but i got stuck when choosing the amplifier; this is my first headphone buy so i have absolutely no idea what to choose.
i've thought about the Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 amplifier since i saw it in a special bundle with the 650's but that's all i know about it.

so what reasonable priced amplifier would you recommend me for those headphones? i'm not even asking for those $1000+ tube amplifiers since i'm on a tight budget and i guess i can't afford those.

just for you to know, my initial idea for a speaker setup would be a Marantz 7001 amplifier with a Q-Acoustics 1050 floorstanding speakers, so we're talking about a budget of $1000 ~ $1500.

finally, i was wondering what cd player would be preferable for the headphone/amplifier setup, since i don't know if that Marantz i mentioned earlier would be fine or not for headphones. and well, is a DAC needed too?

thanks.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i finally decided to opt for a headphone setup rather than a speaker setup primarily because of the limitations of the small room i'll be using for music listening.

i decided i would get the Sennheiser's 650 with a Cardas cable (is the AudioArt Equinox better?) but i got stuck when choosing the amplifier; this is my first headphone buy so i have absolutely no idea what to choose.
i've thought about the Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 amplifier since i saw it in a special bundle with the 650's but that's all i know about it.

so what reasonable priced amplifier would you recommend me for those headphones? i'm not even asking for those $1000+ tube amplifiers since i'm on a tight budget and i guess i can't afford those.

just for you to know, my initial idea for a speaker setup would be a Marantz 7001 amplifier with a Q-Acoustics 1050 floorstanding speakers, so we're talking about a budget of $1000 ~ $1500.

finally, i was wondering what cd player would be preferable for the headphone/amplifier setup, since i don't know if that Marantz i mentioned earlier would be fine or not for headphones. and well, is a DAC needed too?

thanks.

With the right IC's (interlinks) the combo xcan v3 and hd650 can be very musical...for the money you cannot go wrong...

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 10
The Channel Islands Audio VHP-1 drove my 650's well, with the VAC-1 PSU it comes in at just over $500.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 10
I am currently running 650 through H5 with a signal cable interconnect from my sound card.

Yeah, I know some people said that it is too warm, but I think it sounds pretty good. but again, so far, I did not do a A and B test between the other amp
tongue.gif

Just a suggestion.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 10
This may sound a bit unorthodox to some, but; I just made my journy into Head Fi-dome and I am trying to construct a portable Ipod and 650 rig, I am thinking about the XM6 seeing that i use my Ipod and my macbook to drive my music and it seems to come with a pretty efficient dac. I am trying to find less expensive options but I know I will need a dac amp combo. Any suggestions?

All replies greatly appreciated =)  

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
This may sound a bit unorthodox to some, but; I just made my journy into Head Fi-dome and I am trying to construct a portable Ipod and 650 rig, I am thinking about the XM6 seeing that i use my Ipod and my macbook to drive my music and it seems to come with a pretty efficient dac. I am trying to find less expensive options but I know I will need a dac amp combo. Any suggestions?

All replies greatly appreciated =)  

Why did you bump this thread? Just start a new one.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 10
I really liked the sound of my HD650s via the Headroom Desktop DAC/AMP, and the RSA Raptor.

I went balanced at the office, and moved the HD650s to home, and initially used the K.I.C.A.S. Caliente amp - extremely good for the money imo.

I currently am using a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball DIY kit  Tube Amp, which essentially was designed for the HD650. (great performance for the price again, but you do have to solder)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back