Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #2,311 of 2,363
Anyone have experience with Sylvania 6SL7s? See lots of varieties with prices all over the board. Was trying to do some bargain shopping and saw these for a little over $50. Said to be NOS from a 100% seller. Seemed worth a go.

Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SL7-GT VT-229 Black Plates

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #2,313 of 2,363
Anyone have experience with Sylvania 6SL7s? See lots of varieties with prices all over the board. Was trying to do some bargain shopping and saw these for a little over $50. Said to be NOS from a 100% seller. Seemed worth a go.

Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SL7-GT VT-229 Black Plates

I have these for around $50 a piece (mostly for the nos paper box circa 1940s - in less than pristine condition these could be found for much cheaper). Very nice tube warmth with some coloring in the mid range. Depends on the power tube sometimes I prefer these to the much more expensive 5691. They are the first input tubes I put in the Aegis too!

DSC_0129.png

I also had the loktal 7F7 sylvania, which is very fine for the price ($10 for a pair), more neutral than the 6sl7 counterpart. From my experience, early Sylvania tubes sound really nice - but it's not worth paying hundreds of bucks for the exotic variants.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,314 of 2,363
I have these for around $50 a piece (mostly for the nos paper box circa 1940s - in less than pristine condition these could be found for much cheaper). Very nice tube warmth with some coloring in the mid range. Depends on the power tube sometimes I prefer these to the much more expensive 5691. They are the first input tubes I put in the Aegis too!

DSC_0129.png

I also had the loktal 7F7 sylvania, which is very fine for the price ($10 for a pair), more neutral than the 6sl7 counterpart. From my experience, early Sylvania tubes sound really nice - but it's not worth paying hundreds of bucks for the exotic variants.
Thanks for sharing this. These are what I bought. Year produced was not in description. I’ll see how the sound. Worst case they can be used when burning in power tubes.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #2,315 of 2,363
The Atrium Closed are receiving a longer rotation ... tried a few different power tubes with the Elrog 274b & RCA Red Base 5691 but for the AC, the GEC KT88 win every time!

I like these tubes for some genres with the Meze Elites but with the higher impedance setting on the Aegis and the AC, these tubes just seem to come to life more. Beautiful full liquid sound with great spacial qualities!! Just sounds so big!

IMG_6303.jpeg

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #2,316 of 2,363
The Atrium Closed are receiving a longer rotation ... tried a few different power tubes with the Elrog 274b & RCA Red Base 5691 but for the AC, the GEC KT88 win every time!

I like these tubes for some genres with the Meze Elites but with the higher impedance setting on the Aegis and the AC, these tubes just seem to come to life more. Beautiful full liquid sound with great spacial qualities!! Just sounds so big!

IMG_6303.jpeg

I sometimes run a similar config, with the exception of the Elrog 274B as I don't have one of those.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #2,317 of 2,363
Been trying to get a pair of 6550 to try with the AC and Caldera but they're either super expensive or I get outbid. I think the combo would be down my alley. Telling myself to be patient and not overpay 😅

On another note I finally got around to separating my PC equipment to its own power strip and my audio equipment to its own power strip. I'm happy to say that has resolved the hum issue I was having when my PC would be on! Its totally silent now.

Due to this I was able to finally have a good listening session with the Bokeh on the Aegis (before the hum would be too unbearable. Of all the ZMF's i had it would hum the worst).
Man the Bokeh scales really well with the Aegis. Most songs I could've sworn I had the AC on. Only on songs that I miss the sub bass would I realize its the Bokeh

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #2,318 of 2,363
Been trying to get a pair of 6550 to try with the AC and Caldera but they're either super expensive or I get outbid. I think the combo would be down my alley. Telling myself to be patient and not overpay 😅

On another note I finally got around to separating my PC equipment to its own power strip and my audio equipment to its own power strip. I'm happy to say that has resolved the hum issue I was having when my PC would be on! Its totally silent now.

Due to this I was able to finally have a good listening session with the Bokeh on the Aegis (before the hum would be too unbearable. Of all the ZMF's i had it would hum the worst).
Man the Bokeh scales really well with the Aegis. Most songs I could've sworn I had the AC on. Only on songs that I miss the sub bass would I realize its the Bokeh

I really like them. I received both pairs that I purchased. The eBay seller that I purchased the 3-hole set from sent me a different pair than was in the auction and one of the side getters on each tube was less shiny (a bit brown) but not any smaller, so still has some life. The other side getter on each tube is shiny, as is the top. They test strong and sound great, but they weren't what I purchased. The seller refunded half of my money, so I got a nice usable set for $100, which isn't bad. I ended up buying a couple of singles from them for $50 each, so we'll see how those look.

The earlier set I bought are fantastic. Clean, shiny getters and in great nick. They sound great, too.

I need to do more serious listening between the two sets. There is definitely a house sound, but my initial impressions are that the earlier ones are slightly better. A bit more low end, and slightly smoother highs. But I need more careful, protracted listening to really solidify my thoughts.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #2,319 of 2,363
I really like them. I received both pairs that I purchased. The eBay seller that I purchased the 3-hole set from sent me a different pair than was in the auction and one of the side getters on each tube was more less shiny (a bit brown) but not any smaller, so still has some life. The other side getter on each tube is shiny, as is the top. They test strong and sound great, but they weren't what I purchased. The seller refunded half of my money, so I got a nice usable set for $100, which isn't bad. I ended up buying a couple of singles from them for $50 each, so we'll see how those look.

The earlier set I bought are fantastic. Clean, shiny getters and in great nick. They sound great, too.

I need to do more serious listening between the two sets. There is definitely a house sound, but my initial impressions are that the earlier ones are slightly better. A bit more low end, and slightly smoother highs. But I need more careful, protracted listening to really solidify my thoughts.
Nice! Those end up being real good prices. So far a lot I'm seeing are way overpriced.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #2,320 of 2,363
Apr 13, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #2,323 of 2,363
On this day April 13 2024 I can proudly report a new birth of one more Aegis Tube Amp... :xf_cool: Its presently in its burn-in routine and sounds friggin amazing...
This build is using the new revised PCB and the VCAP ODAM caps...
Thanks goes out to @L0rdGwyn for such a great design... what a great project
Congrats on the build! We need pics!

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #2,324 of 2,363
On this day April 13 2024 I can proudly report a new birth of one more Aegis Tube Amp... :xf_cool: Its presently in its burn-in routine and sounds friggin amazing...
This build is using the new revised PCB and the VCAP ODAM caps...
Thanks goes out to @L0rdGwyn for such a great design... what a great project

You're welcome! Glad you like it. And good to know all is well with the revised boards / caps.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #2,325 of 2,363
There will likely be a ZMF Aegis thread made closer to the release date of the commercial amp (May 10th) in the main amplifiers forum. My thinking is that tube rolling discussion, listening impressions etc for both DIY and ZMF would continue there and this thread would be more focused on DIY building/questions. Of course its whatever the community wants but it makes the most sense to me to sort of consolidate impressions discussion there whenever that thread is made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back