Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,341 of 2,370
I have spent weeks reading through this forum and gathering the supplies for the DIY Aegis, and have everything except the chassis which Landfall is backed up on, only to be smitten with the ZMF version…. Ughhh…. Now I am left torn between continuing on the build or bailing and getting in line for the ZMF version. If anyone is interested in buying the materials for the DIY version, let me know. I have done most of the legwork for you and all you need is a little soldering time! The hard part is gathering all the parts!

Honestly I think you could find a buyer if you want, gathering parts is probably the least fun part of the DIY! Could ask on diyAudio if there are no takers here.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #2,342 of 2,370
I have spent weeks reading through this forum and gathering the supplies for the DIY Aegis, and have everything except the chassis which Landfall is backed up on, only to be smitten with the ZMF version…. Ughhh…. Now I am left torn between continuing on the build or bailing and getting in line for the ZMF version. If anyone is interested in buying the materials for the DIY version, let me know. I have done most of the legwork for you and all you need is a little soldering time! The hard part is gathering all the parts!
PM’d you :D

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #2,343 of 2,370
I finally published my CanJam NYC writeup (in my defense for tardiness, I've been busy with my son's college admission process which, mercifully, is in its last few days; and did a double partial knee replacmenet surgery right after CanJam, which also mercifully was surprisingly easy).

With all of the excuses out of the way, here it is. I'm posting a link here because I've covered the new ZMF Aegis amp, which may be of interest to some folks who visit this thread. I've provided as much detail on the new release as I could:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-47#post-18093868

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2,344 of 2,370
I finally published my CanJam NYC writeup (in my defense for tardiness, I've been busy with my son's college admission process which, mercifully, is in its last few days; and did a double partial knee replacmenet surgery right after CanJam, which also mercifully was surprisingly easy).

With all of the excuses out of the way, here it is. I'm posting a link here because I've covered the new ZMF Aegis amp, which may be of interest to some folks who visit this thread. I've provided as much detail on the new release as I could:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-47#post-18093868
Excellent as always :)

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #2,345 of 2,370
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #2,346 of 2,370
Anyone compare Aegis (commercial or diy) to WA23, WA 33, Envy, nautilus or ha300 mk2 ?
Curious about that too. Would love to read some feedback on that. Espcially with demanding cans like Sus

May 1, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #2,347 of 2,370
Well, project “Aegis Silver Shield” is well underway. The idea is to build a chassis for a forever amp. For me, that’s what the Aegis is. It will have a highly polished glass gloss painted finish top and bottom. All screw fixings must be hidden. The centre, in homage to the Auris Nirvana, will be leather. It will have a centre volume dial, grouped headphone sockets and, an impedance dial at the front. It will also have three recessed feet positions underneath to take the ISOAcoustic feet.

I’d thought about this for some time but @JTbbb encouraged me to go for it. So I did. Just enough materials to do two 😀

Anyway… a little taster of the start

Edit... forgot the most important part... rotate the rectifier socket 90 degrees so the Elrog logo faces forward 😂

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

IMG_6377.jpeg

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #2,348 of 2,370
Here are a couple of pics for those that are interested in the build process. These are of the sizing and sealing and primer coats. The MDF had about 6 coats of Zinsser BIN to properly seal and a ton of sanding was required afterwards. The aluminium had to be Etch primed beforehand.

The second shot is pre sanding and just sat on top to see how it looked with the vent holes drilled.

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6404.jpeg

May 1, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #2,349 of 2,370
Here are a couple of pics for those that are interested in the build process. These are of the sizing and sealing and primer coats. The MDF had about 6 coats of Zinsser BIN to properly seal and a ton of sanding was required afterwards. The aluminium had to be Etch primed beforehand.

The second shot is pre sanding and just sat on top to see how it looked with the vent holes drilled.

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6404.jpeg

Well, that's rather excellent.

I have a plan for mine as well that involves wood on three of the sides and the top, but I haven't had time to implement it. It'll be thinner than your top, so it won't be as visually striking, but I'm still looking forward to making it.

May 1, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #2,350 of 2,370
Well, that's rather excellent.

I have a plan for mine as well that involves wood on three of the sides and the top, but I haven't had time to implement it. It'll be thinner than your top, so it won't be as visually striking, but I'm still looking forward to making it.

It's been a ver rewarding project... albeit challenging at times working everything out. First time I've built something like this from scratch... flat sheets of MDF & aluminium. Glad I spent a bit of time drawing it all out to scale etc. Makes for a unique build... there will be one midnight blue and one burgundy and that's it. The burgundy one is for @JTbbb.

I know one thing, I found this quite consuming at times and this is just the chassis.... new found respect for the effort of @L0rdGwyn... you must have been knackered by the end of the Aegis project :L3000:

I'm still sorting through some images that I've taken through the whole thing. I'll post a couple more interesting ones later once I have a look through them.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #2,351 of 2,370
It's been a ver rewarding project... albeit challenging at times working everything out. First time I've built something like this from scratch... flat sheets of MDF & aluminium. Glad I spent a bit of time drawing it all out to scale etc. Makes for a unique build... there will be one midnight blue and one burgundy and that's it. The burgundy one is for @JTbbb.

I know one thing, I found this quite consuming at times and this is just the chassis.... new found respect for the effort of @L0rdGwyn... you must have been knackered by the end of the Aegis project :L3000:

I'm still sorting through some images that I've taken through the whole thing. I'll post a couple more interesting ones later once I have a look through them.
Post pics of mine too if you like!

May 1, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #2,353 of 2,370
Ok… few more

Prep… sanding done and final coat of primer… 4 coats.
IMG_6421.jpeg

next two are the top panels from both amps before the paint work is flattened and cut.

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

@JTbbb amp after testing the heater cable supply.

IMG_6507.jpeg

Output transformers fitted but before final alignment of sockets and paint flattening. Still waiting on chokes so just waiting for them to finish off.
IMG_6525.jpeg

Here’s mine. Fully working but it still has a few bits to finish. Need the chrome/silver logo badge for the top left above the switch. Still not 100% with the dials, especially the smaller impedance dial. Audio Note are all out of dials at the moment. The paintwork has been flattened but I’ll be adding some more wax to finish off. Not quite finished but getting there!

IMG_6577.jpeg

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #2,354 of 2,370
Ok… few more

Prep… sanding done and final coat of primer… 4 coats.
IMG_6421.jpeg

next two are the top panels from both amps before the paint work is flattened and cut.

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

@JTbbb amp after testing the heater cable supply.

IMG_6507.jpeg

Output transformers fitted but before final alignment of sockets and paint flattening. Still waiting on chokes so just waiting for them to finish off.
IMG_6525.jpeg

Here’s mine. Fully working but it still has a few bits to finish. Need the chrome/silver logo badge for the top left above the switch. Still not 100% with the dials, especially the smaller impedance dial. Audio Note are all out of dials at the moment. The paintwork has been flattened but I’ll be adding some more wax to finish off. Not quite finished but getting there!

IMG_6577.jpeg

IMG_6585.jpeg
Dude! That looks amazing! Great job! I wouldn't even know where to begin to dream that up 🤣

May 1, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,355 of 2,370
Dude! That looks amazing! Great job! I wouldn't even know where to begin to dream that up 🤣
Thanks 😀 ... I fancied a high gloss finish but I was also influenced by the Auris Nirvana... the leather centre feels very tactile when combined with a glass smooth paint job. The Nirvana all has cutouts for the dials similar to the cutouts I've made for the tubes 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back