Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #2,267 of 2,346
MediaLux KT88 review? If so, yes, it was a really good in-depth review of the KT88 tube type. I would love to find that shop in Japan :L3000:

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #2,268 of 2,346
Speaking of reference info, I found this very interesting/useful as I've been digging into Tung-Sol 6550s.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #2,269 of 2,346
Speaking of reference info, I found this very interesting/useful as I've been digging into Tung-Sol 6550s.

Oh, and I ordered a set of the 2.2s. I found a set of the 1.2s for a fair price, but they only take money order, which is a turnoff when purchasing online, even though I've bought from that seller in the past (when he did take PayPal).

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #2,270 of 2,346
Hey all, it has taken awhile to get this done but finally got my custom faceplate made and installed. For reference, I worked with Dave at Landfall who makes the chassis. We talked through the best way to do this. It is held on by the nut for the volume knob and the power switch. He recessed those areas and I didn't have to leave the washer out. Fit like a charm. He made a 45 deg taper for the headphone jack to be a "guide" when plugging in. Lastly, each side extends 1/4" past the main chassis and he rounded the corners. I worked with a friend of mine who does graphic design for the idea I had and we sent that to Dave and he lasered the panel. If anyone is curious, the mountain is Mt Hood outside of Portland, OR. It's a special place for me as I see it all the time, was my first climb, and honed a lot of mountaineering skills there. I really like the topo lines around the volume knob. This took some back and forth with Dave as we had too dense of lines. In the end, it came out really nice.

Anyway, wanted to share as I really like it and love we have options to customize our amps! If anyone wants any more technical info about it you can ask me or Dave. If anyone has a desire to have one made, you can reach out to Dave for the template. Dave is awesome to work with. If you are curious, this was around $100 to Dave for the piece. I think that price can vary based on design. If you don't have the skills and need a graphic designer, I could put you in touch with my friend to discuss. Price would depend on how complex.

Attachments

• IMG_9916.jpeg
    IMG_9916.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9930.jpeg
    IMG_9930.jpeg
  • IMG_9931.jpeg
    IMG_9931.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9932.jpeg
    IMG_9932.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9937.jpeg
    IMG_9937.jpeg
Mar 25, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #2,271 of 2,346
Hey all, it has taken awhile to get this done but finally got my custom faceplate made and installed. For reference, I worked with Dave at Landfall who makes the chassis. We talked through the best way to do this. It is held on by the nut for the volume knob and the power switch. He recessed those areas and I didn't have to leave the washer out. Fit like a charm. He made a 45 deg taper for the headphone jack to be a "guide" when plugging in. Lastly, each side extends 1/4" past the main chassis and he rounded the corners. I worked with a friend of mine who does graphic design for the idea I had and we sent that to Dave and he lasered the panel. If anyone is curious, the mountain is Mt Hood outside of Portland, OR. It's a special place for me as I see it all the time, was my first climb, and honed a lot of mountaineering skills there. I really like the topo lines around the volume knob. This took some back and forth with Dave as we had too dense of lines. In the end, it came out really nice.

Anyway, wanted to share as I really like it and love we have options to customize our amps! If anyone wants any more technical info about it you can ask me or Dave. If anyone has a desire to have one made, you can reach out to Dave for the template. Dave is awesome to work with. If you are curious, this was around $100 to Dave for the piece. I think that price can vary based on design. If you don't have the skills and need a graphic designer, I could put you in touch with my friend to discuss. Price would depend on how complex.
Oh wow! That looks really good! I might consider doing this too! Gotta figure out what design I would want

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #2,272 of 2,346
Oh wow! That looks really good! I might consider doing this too! Gotta figure out what design I would want
Thanks. Yeah it is a great option for those of us who didn't do a custom design ahead of time when the chassis was made.

Here are a few pix before it was put on if you are curious how it was cut.

Attachments

• IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9880.jpeg
    IMG_9880.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9881.jpeg
    IMG_9881.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9883.jpeg
    IMG_9883.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9884.jpeg
    IMG_9884.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,273 of 2,346

Dave is incredibly helpful, looking great! Your atriums are gorgeous too!

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #2,274 of 2,346
Oh, and I ordered a set of the 2.2s. I found a set of the 1.2s for a fair price, but they only take money order, which is a turnoff when purchasing online, even though I've bought from that seller in the past (when he did take PayPal).
Helpful video for sure! I really wonder about the sonic differences between the black plate and gray plate. I'm happy with the grays, esp when I saw the black plate prices lol. It seems structurally they are the same.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #2,275 of 2,346
Helpful video for sure! I really wonder about the sonic differences between the black plate and gray plate. I'm happy with the grays, esp when I saw the black plate prices lol. It seems structurally they are the same.

Yeah, the black plates are a LOT more expensive. He comments in the video that they all sound different, but clearly have a similar house sound. As with anything, the degree of difference and how much that's worth will vary in the ears of the beholder. Unfortunately, I cannot comment.

I reached out to the seller who is offering the black plate D side getters to see how firm they are on no PayPal.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,276 of 2,346

Congrats, that turned out very nicely.

That reminds me that I need to get to designing my cosmetic facelift for the my Aegis build. I've been preoccupied with other things, but I really would like to get to that soon.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,277 of 2,346

That reminds me that I need to get to designing my cosmetic facelift for the my Aegis build. I've been preoccupied with other things, but I really would like to get to that soon.
Nice. You going w metal or wood again?

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #2,279 of 2,346

You and me both... I've started on my new chassis. Finished the drawings etc and materials have started coming in... sneak preview below but the final reveal will be when it's finished...probably a month or so away realistically.

1711387276109.png

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #2,280 of 2,346
You and me both... I've started on my new chassis. Finished the drawings etc and materials have started coming in... sneak preview below but the final reveal will be when it's finished...probably a month or so away realistically.

1711387276109.png

That's going to look great.

I actually like my current wood faceplate. I'm looking at a different design that wraps that front, side and part of the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back